• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Djokovic looking better so far in the 2nd set and threatening more on the return games.. but Edmund serving well when he's needed to.

vogue

International Vice-Captain
Just home to this.. would finish the day so well if Edmund went through, don’t think he’s ever got through this round

vogue

Zverev out, Edmund likely the same way, and Kyrgios one set down already... not looking good for anyone I’m following at all.. still, England in the semis so all is good with the world .. :)

vogue

Currently watching Nishikori and Gulbis, guys who knocked out Kyrgios and Zverev respectively.. interesting from mpv they should be playing each oth in the 4th round. Gulbis has broken Nishikori to go 4-3 first set.

Niall

International Coach
Currently watching Nishikori and Gulbis, guys who knocked out Kyrgios and Zverev respectively.. interesting from mpv they should be playing each oth in the 4th round. Gulbis has broken Nishikori to go 4-3 first set.
Odd match up, Kei's worst surface and Gulbis had to qualify for this as he has been hopeless for so long:laugh:

I like both though, but have a soft spot for Gulbis so hope he wins.

On the two lads who were beaten by both, I'd be a little concerned about Nick K. He was never Novak when it came to returning, but recently I do worry he is slowly turning into Isner with his over reliance on serve. His serve has been been superb all grass season bar Saturday where it lacked accuracy and without it he looked awful.

vogue

Odd match up, Kei's worst surface and Gulbis had to qualify for this as he has been hopeless for so long:laugh:

I like both though, but have a soft spot for Gulbis so hope he wins.

On the two lads who were beaten by both, I'd be a little concerned about Nick K. He was never Novak when it came to returning, but recently I do worry he is slowly turning into Isner with his over reliance on serve. His serve has been been superb all grass season bar Saturday where it lacked accuracy and without it he looked awful.
Mei didn’t play the Australian Open either which is a bit odd. Gulbis looking slightly more in control . As for Kyrgios. Honestly don’t know what sometimes gives with him,all that ability , just seems to lack control to me.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Keep forgetting this is even happening :unsure:

Nadal crushing all-comers till now but looks like DelPo is in for a fight!

Excellent run by Nishikori and Anderson so far.

Niall

International Coach
i have a feeling nadal is going to win his third title this year...
Its looking likely. Del Potro not looked great today v Simon and could be knackered in there possible quarter final match. Heck its possible that we could still get the absurd scenario of Simon in a quarter final v Nadal.

Doubt Rafa would be concerned about Kei or Novak in a semi final either.

Its an uninspiring last 8 for the men

Federer v Anderson
Isner v Raonic ---(outside court please:laugh:)
Rafa v Simon/Del Potro
Novak v Kei

Ladies side more interesting,Serena is cruising but the draw has been lovely.Gorgi and Goerges wont be the pushovers she has dealt with so far.Other half will have some great tennis, Ost', Kasaktina, Cibulkova playing great tennis while Kerber has the experience to get it done.

Tasty.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Wonder till what age Fedex will keep playing.. not that I mind at all mind you. Would love to see him play Wimbledon at 50. Main draw.

Niall

International Coach
Young players not really stepping up in grand slams mainly. Kyrigos for all the talent and hype has not reached a Grand Slam quarter final for four years, while Zverev has struggled at Slams and only reached one quarter final at this years French Open. He made hard work of that and got hammered by his first quality opponent he met in Thiem.

Thiem seems very good on clay, but not done much outside the French and also bombed out of Wimbledon early. The younger guns like Shapovalov, Coric and Tsitsipas haven't done much at Slams but very much have time on there side as only one of them is older than 20 which is Coric..

The generation in between Zverev/Thiem/ Kyrigos in some parts have been called generation useless:laugh: which is a little harsh. Guys like Dimitrov, Raonic and Nishikori for various reasons have not been able to win slams,injury issues, inconsistency and arguably not good enough to beat the elite players. The fear for them while not exactly old, they may get lapped by the likes of Zverev/Kyrigos etc.

edit...forgot Chung, fine player but concerning that he keeps getting injured.

Last edited: