• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Congrats to Zverev.. he wins his 3rd Masters series title which is impressive at 21. Now he needs a few deep Slam runs.

vcs

Nadal wins in Rome.

Great effort by Zverev, who played a brilliant 2nd set and was up a break in the decider, but then rain came, and Nadal kicked it up a gear afterwards. Back to No. 1.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
yeah zverev is playing well but nadal is the easy choice against the field at rolland garros this year...

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Not sure if I'd take that, Nadal's form looks like it's just fading a bit. He'll still win the FO at a canter, but I reckon he'll drop 1 or 2 sets along the way.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Not sure if I'd take that, Nadal's form looks like it's just fading a bit. He'll still win the FO at a canter, but I reckon he'll drop 1 or 2 sets along the way.
the fact that you are saying that after he won the italian open for the 8th time says it all about his dominance on the surface...

vcs

He might lose a set in the 2nd or 3rd round to some big server like Isner or someone. It's near impossible for anyone to take 3 sets off him at Roland Garros though.

vogue

International Vice-Captain
Watching some first round play this afternoon to see Zverev go comfortably through in 3 straight sets. Like to see him progress to the second week at least .

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
no federer and an all-conquering nadal...doesn't get anymore boring than that for me...:(, the ladies' section is packed with endless possibilities, i just hope a complete outsider doesn't take it...i am hoping for kvitova or muguruza or someone like that to make a splash and burnish their hall of fame credentials further...

Niall

International Coach
no federer and an all-conquering nadal...doesn't get anymore boring than that for me...:(, the ladies' section is packed with endless possibilities, i just hope a complete outsider doesn't take it...i am hoping for kvitova or muguruza or someone like that to make a splash and burnish their hall of fame credentials further...
The men side is dull as its doubtful Rafa will be tested until the final. Worst case scenario seems to be Coric in his quarter who can raise his game hugely against elite players. However Coric has a tricky match with Schwartzman anyhow, so yeah doubt Rafa is that concerned right now.

Ladies side is very open, Svitolina and Halep the bookies favs as they are the two best players here, but Svitolina not really done it yet in a slam and the Halep quarter is loaded up with dark horses such as Bertens, Mertens and Garcia. Kerber also floating around the same section but shouldn't really be a factor here as its her worst slam and has Bertens next.

Could also make an argument for Kasatina and Osaki breaking through here, while Sloane is handling business with minimum fuss also.

vcs

Sooner or later he'll retire.. imagine how much fun tennis will be when that happens. :(

After 15 years of watching Federer, I just can't imagine liking any other player as much as him. :(

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Sooner or later he'll retire.. imagine how much fun tennis will be when that happens. :(

After 15 years of watching Federer, I just can't imagine liking any other player as much as him. :(
he is a once-in-a-lifetime player...most of the good players nowadays are monotonous baseline drones and the entertaining ones are just not consistent enough to make any lasting impact...makes you appreciate federer even more...

vcs

It will be ironic if he ends up ruining tennis for me after giving me so much pleasure as a fan.

vogue

International Vice-Captain
I’ll be watching Zverev this morning 10am my time, but then switching to the test.. which is pretty much saying something for me as England likely not to win against Pakistan.. normally I’d be switching from one to another if the tennis was interesting..

vcs

So Novak seems to be grinding his way past RBA in 4 sets.

Wouldn't quite proclaim he's back yet, but encouraging signs from him since Rome.