• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I wish Jono would come back. He bet me back in 2011 that Federer would never get back to No. 1. He's done it twice since then, this time against a full-schedule playing Nadal, while skipping clay altogether himself. :p

vcs

Absolute stroll to victory for Federer against Dimitrov. You do have to wonder when these guys will start putting up more of a fight against the older guys, leave alone beating them.

vcs

Kvitova-Muguruza is a much more interesting match. So good to see Kvitova back in form.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
now she will disappear for several months as is her wont...has the talent to be a great and dominant champion but just an incredibly inconsistent career so far...

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
I wish Jono would come back. He bet me back in 2011 that Federer would never get back to No. 1. He's done it twice since then, this time against a full-schedule playing Nadal, while skipping clay altogether himself. :p
that may be another reason he is giving this place a miss...:)

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
who are your top 5 greatest players men and women? for me:

federer
nadal
djokovic
sampras
laver

williams
graf
court
navratilova
evert

Last edited:

vcs

Federer
Nadal
Laver
Sampras
Borg/Djokovic tie

Graf
Williams
Navratilova
Evert
Court

vcs

So Nadal pulled out of Acapulco, his injury from the Australian Open hasn't healed yet.

The ATP tour has basically been carried for the past decade by guys who are all on the wrong side of 30 now. If we had a few players in that 20-30 age range with Slams in their resume, these tournaments would be a lot more exciting. Federer is nearly 37 and Nadal/Djokovic/Murray seem to have broken their bodies in an attempt to chase him down.

As amazing as it is, it doesn't feel right for Federer to be kicking the asses of guys in their supposed "prime" (Dimitrov etc.) and up and comers who are a decade and a half younger than him (Kyrgios, Zverev etc.). I have no doubt Nadal, Djokovic and Murray would be doing the same if they were fully fit right now. But they're 30+ as well! It's as if the world stopped producing champion male tennis players after 1987.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

I don't mind federer or bad all winning ...it wouldn't be as bad if the field atleast put up a fight. The 2017 Aussie Open was great because we atleast had the younger generation work Federer and nadal really really hard. Made the final that much sweeter. In virtually every slam after that, it's like they've all just rolled over.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
So Nadal pulled out of Acapulco, his injury from the Australian Open hasn't healed yet.

The ATP tour has basically been carried for the past decade by guys who are all on the wrong side of 30 now. If we had a few players in that 20-30 age range with Slams in their resume, these tournaments would be a lot more exciting. Federer is nearly 37 and Nadal/Djokovic/Murray seem to have broken their bodies in an attempt to chase him down.

As amazing as it is, it doesn't feel right for Federer to be kicking the asses of guys in their supposed "prime" (Dimitrov etc.) and up and comers who are a decade and a half younger than him (Kyrgios, Zverev etc.). I have no doubt Nadal, Djokovic and Murray would be doing the same if they were fully fit right now. But they're 30+ as well! It's as if the world stopped producing champion male tennis players after 1987.
i don't understand this bolded comment, especially in connection with the rest of your post...??

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
I don't mind federer or bad all winning ...it wouldn't be as bad if the field atleast put up a fight. The 2017 Aussie Open was great because we atleast had the younger generation work Federer and nadal really really hard. Made the final that much sweeter. In virtually every slam after that, it's like they've all just rolled over.
they collectively concluded that resistance is futile and it is less painful to just roll over...?

vcs

i don't understand this bolded comment, especially in connection with the rest of your post...??
Djokovic, Murray and Nadal were all born around 1986-87, no one's stepped up after them..

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Djokovic, Murray and Nadal were all born around 1986-87, no one's stepped up after them..
got it i was thinking of players who were on the tour around that time and in the 90s...didn't realize you were talking about players who were born in the mid-80s...

vcs

Impressive run by Del Potro to beat Thiem and Alexander Zverev back to back to make the Acapulco final, he will face Kevin Anderson. Hope Del Potro wins and does well in Indian Wells/Miami this time.