• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

vogue

International Vice-Captain
I’ll miss the match between Edmunds and Cilic tomorrow, but going to catch the Federer Chung one on Friday . May miss the better one which will be annoying.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He's also beaten him at Wimbledon and the US Open in 2011 and 2012. Good player, but he'll only beat the top 4 if he has a great day, AND they happen to have an off-day/injury etc. Maybe once in 10 attempts.

Niall

International Coach
I’ll miss the match between Edmunds and Cilic tomorrow, but going to catch the Federer Chung one on Friday . May miss the better one which will be annoying.
TBH i am loking forward to the Federer v Chung match more than the other. I have lots of time for Kyle, but Chung is really special.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Well done to Chung for not having a letdown next match after a big win.

Be honest, would you want Nadal/Djokovic winning Slams if Federer got knocked out early? :p

I certainly wouldn't.
it's federer or leander paes for me, wouldn't want anyone else to win anything in tennis...:ph34r:

Anyway, it's not a gimme or anything for Federer, he has to overcome 3 opponents who will all be playing very well. People said the same at the WTF last year and then Goffin beat him, or the US Open 2014, where he lost to Cilic.

What I will say is that, over the course of his career, Federer has been better than the other two at avoiding upsets and taking any opportunities that come his way when draws open up, which is all credit to him.
if say chung beats zverev, djokovic, federer and cilic...he would be a more than deserving winner...so would cilic, he has already shown that at his best he can more than hold his own against the top players...

Burgey

Chung will be a much harder test as he's never played him.

At this point in his career, you've got to think Berdych just has too many mental scars facing Federer (and the other top guys) to beat them at the latter stages of a Major.
The post match with Federer was pretty instructive. Said he hasn’t really seen Chung play much, then went on a minute-long dissection of his game. Spare us, Roger. Of course you’ve been watching him.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
i was a huge vijay fan too in the 80s, he was a truly world class player at his best, beat all the top players of his time...just too inconsistent...and didn't make enough of an impact at majors...some of his davis cup battles in singles and doubles were epic...

Niall

International Coach
Shame I missed it. Have loved the ladies side this year so many great matches and stories. The men side? Federer sleep walking his way to another slam. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

morgieb

Shame I missed it. Have loved the ladies side this year so many great matches and stories. The men side? Federer sleep walking his way to another slam. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.
At least this year the bolters have come from genuine youngsters rather than complete randoms ala last year's US Open.

Unfortunately injuries have ****ed the tour and the generation after Nadal/Djokovic/Murray being terrible hasn't helped either, basically allowing Federer and Nadal to walk their ways towards titles when they're fit and all kinds of randoms winning stuff when they're not.

I think Chung could give Federer a bit of a fight though.

flibbertyjibber

Yeah it is encouraging that the surprise players this time are young and not journeymen which you hope means it isn't a flash in the pan one off and they may develop into top players. The big thing is though that they will now have huge expectation on them after this last fortnight and the spotlight will be on them like never before, hopefully they can cope with it.

vcs

Federer was always going to jump out to a fast start. This set's gone for Chung, he needs to figure out a way back in the next set.

Niall

International Coach
God men's tennis is so ****ing ****, another slam where Federer looks like cruising to a Slam. Hopefully Cilic is less of a disgrace than he was at the Wimbledon final, because if not then it will mean that the last 4 slams Federer and Nadal will have carved up between them without breaking sweat. Thank God for women tennis.

vcs

Actually 5, lol. I'm a Federer fan but this is a bit uncomfortable to watch. But Djokovic also got schooled by Federer first time they played in a Major in the Australian Open 2007 and he turned out fine.