• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Cilic is starting to deliver more consistently at the Majors now. Wimbledon finalist last year and now a chance to progress to another Grand Slam final if he beats Edmund. This is a glimpse of what Del Potro could have been without all the injuries.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
yeah i never get this logic...why wouldn't you want the best players in the sport playing great tennis to compete for the top prizes on its loftiest stages? what was so bad about the classic that federer and nadal gave us last year? i get personal preferences if one or both players are from your country or something but this doesn't seem to be even that..the idea seems to be someone new for the sake of novelty? anyway the way the draw is shaping up, they might get their wish...it will probably be one of the worst-viewed finals outside of their home countries if that happens...

Last edited:

vcs

Well done to Chung for not having a letdown next match after a big win.

yeah i never get this logic...why wouldn't you want the best players in the sport playing great tennis to compete for the top prizes on its loftiest stages? what was so bad about the classic that federer and nadal gave us last year? i get personal preferences if one or both players are from your country or something but this doesn't seem to be even that..the idea seems to be someone new for the sake of novelty? anyway the way the draw is shaping up, they might get their wish...it will probably be one of the worst-viewed finals outside of their home countries if that happens...
Be honest, would you want Nadal/Djokovic winning Slams if Federer got knocked out early? :p

I certainly wouldn't.

Anyway, it's not a gimme or anything for Federer, he has to overcome 3 opponents who will all be playing very well. People said the same at the WTF last year and then Goffin beat him, or the US Open 2014, where he lost to Cilic.

What I will say is that, over the course of his career, Federer has been better than the other two at avoiding upsets and taking any opportunities that come his way when draws open up, which is all credit to him.

Last edited:

Burgey

He's also been ridiculously durable. The type of game Rafa and Nole play is so intense and demanding that it's not surprising they get these types of injuries.

vcs

Yeah, that too. But they've still lasted longer and come back more times than most people would have predicted 10 years back, especially Nadal.

vcs

Not particularly surprised, he hasn't looked that good when I've watched him so far in this event, and he's had an easy draw so far. Berdych on the other hand, has been in great form up to now.

vcs

Chung will be a much harder test as he's never played him.

At this point in his career, you've got to think Berdych just has too many mental scars facing Federer (and the other top guys) to beat them at the latter stages of a Major.