• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

Niall

International Coach
Cilic has never been the strongest mentally.

Federer's consistency in this tournament is pretty remarkable. He has a >80% win percentage against fellow top-8 players over a sample size of 15 appearances in the tournament. :-O
Understatement indeed:)

Obviously he has been playing in a tough era, but do think he could have won a little more if he had more steel. When he won that US Open he was clutch as hell all throughout, the obvious highlight when against a rabidly pro Federer crowd, he handled business with no fuss whatsoever.

Niall

International Coach
Whenever I watch Federer play Goffin, I always wonder how he manages to be a steady top 10-15 player.
I actually think this post is spot on. :D

Just a strange few hours that to say the least!

Last edited:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Federer has soundly thrashed Goffin every time they played in the past, and the first set had a similar story. Fantastic recovery from the Belgian. I've never rated him, but he was brilliant today. Especially his serving and composure. Fully deserved, even if Federer was even more erratic than he's been throughout the tournament.

Niall

International Coach
Agreed, Goffin quite an enjoyable player to watch, be cool to see him win here and somehow lead Belgium to Davis Cup glory next week.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Federer’s erratic play finally caught up with him...Dimitrov should win this from here on...

vcs

Still remember her final against Graf, and then Hingis a few years after that. Was very happy for her when she finally won it.

RIP.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
yeah she was one of the last few serve and volleyers in women's tennis, one of my favorite players to watch...very talented but mentally fragile...dying at such a young age, it's tough...

vcs

Serve and volley was so awesome. Loved watching Wimbledon in the '90s with Becker, Sampras, Edberg, Ivanisevic, Martin, Rafter, Stich, Graf, Seles, Hingis, Novotna etc. :wub: Used to be the highlight of the year.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Serve and volley was so awesome. Loved watching Wimbledon in the '90s with Becker, Sampras, Edberg, Ivanisevic, Martin, Rafter, Stich, Graf, Seles, Hingis, Novotna etc. :wub: Used to be the highlight of the year.
though not in the 90s, even lendl became a serve and volleyer for wimbledon, became pretty good at it too...that whole 80s and 90s was fantastic for serve and volley tennis...by the way, not sure if you were planning to list graf, seles and hingis as serve and volleyers there...? you should probably have navratilova in that list, she played into the early 90s and did amazingly at wimbledon well into her 30s if i remember correctly...the greatest serve and volleyer and the greatest women's champ in wimbledon history...

vcs

Martina was awesome. Yeah, Seles definitely wasn't comfortable volleying, but Graf was pretty good at the net when she needed to be.

There was a nice mix of styles with baseliners like Agassi, Hewitt also doing well.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Martina was awesome. Yeah, Seles definitely wasn't comfortable volleying, but Graf was pretty good at the net when she needed to be.

There was a nice mix of styles with baseliners like Agassi, Hewitt also doing well.
sure she was pretty competent at everything she did on the court but she was by no means a serve and volleyer though...she was an aggressive baseliner with a terrific serve and a monster forehand who ventured to the net very occasionally...of those three, hingis was the one most comfortable at the net, an attribute of a strong doubles player...

Last edited:

vcs

Goffin's efforts in Davis Cup have been absolutely heroic over the past few years. Apparently he is 17-1 in his last 18 Davis Cup singles rubbers (loss coming against Murray in the 2015 final, an equally heroic effort that year by Murray).

After his exertions in the WTF, what a remarkable performance. He has certainly won my respect.