• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Murray and Djoko out of the Top 10. Murray still has a cart load of points to lose. Not sure how low he could drop before the AUS Open assuming he's fit for it. It would be interesting to see both of them seeded outside the Top 16.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Benneteau-Sock and Isner-Krajinovic semifinal lineup at Paris.

Just a reminder, this is a Masters 1000, not a 250 event. :p

Heard Benneteau is retiring after this event, so I hope he wins it.

vcs

Murray and Djokovic will charge up the rankings (top 5 probably) by RG if they are anywhere close to their best when they return. And then they only gain points in the 2nd half of the year. Haven't seen anything to convince me that #nextGen (basically Sascha and Thiem) can dominate going forward.

Niall

International Coach
Ugh

No huge beef with Sock, but he has done nothing remarkable all year especially in the Slams however after winning this in London. He also benefited from the draw working out lovely for him.
I'd have preferred Busta in London, did well at the French and US Open to be fair.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Ugh

No huge beef with Sock, but he has done nothing remarkable all year especially in the Slams however after winning this in London. He also benefited from the draw working out lovely for him.
I'd have preferred Busta in London, did well at the French and US Open to be fair.
sock has won 3 tourneys this year...i know carreno busta did well at a couple of majors but do you really think he is a better player than sock?

vcs

On court coaching can **** off, and I'm not even going to try to understand this silly scoring system.

vcs

Nadal pulls out with injury after limping to defeat vs. Goffin. So we're going to be blessed with the presence of Pablo Carreno Busta instead. Wish Del Potro had won that match vs. Isner. :(

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
how does that work? nadal has already played one match and lost which basically means carreno busta starts in a hole (i assume he inherits nadal's record so far in the tournament)...

vcs

That's how it generally works with replacements when players pull out after playing a match or two in the RR phase. The replacement generally has no chance of progressing because he is usually inheriting a **** record, but I guess the prize money is the motivator.

It happened in 2005 as well IIRC. The field was absolutely decimated that year and Federer was practically on one foot as well, coming back from injury. He lost in an epic 5-set final to Nalbandian after going two sets up, then losing the next two, going 4-0 down in the decider, fought back and then served for the match, and finally lost in a tiebreak. Would have equalled McEnroe 82-3 W/L record for the year if he had won that match.

_Ed_

Jeez, the stuff in Dokic's autobiography about her dad. Not entirely unexpected, but still harrowing.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
federer into the semis...he is not anywhere close to his best but is seemingly doing just enough to win so far...

vcs

Cilic has never been the strongest mentally.

Federer's consistency in this tournament is pretty remarkable. He has a >80% win percentage against fellow top-8 players over a sample size of 15 appearances in the tournament. :-O