• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He's going to be missed, i still think he went on two years too long and should have gone out on top rather than ranked in the mid 50's where he will be next week.
A shame to lost to Becker rather than going on one more round and facing Roddick, hes a good guy and tennis is poorer for his retirement, but everyone has to move on eventually...

_Ed_

Great player, I'll miss him. It's true that he was definitely past his best, but that match against Baghdatis was one of my all-time favourites so he went out on a pretty good note for me.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I never especially liked Agassi, but his contribution to Tennis over the last decade is unquestionable. His retirement effectively sees the complete handing over of the baton to the younger generation that's breaking through atm.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
in the open era, i would rank him after laver, sampras, federer, borg, connors, lendl....and at the same level as becker and edberg....that too because of the career slam, he never really dominated the sport for a significant span of time like the other great champions mentioned....the best years of his tennis were spent in the shadows of sampras....his main weapon was an exceptional return of serve, he also possessed very good court-craft....his greatest achievements were his durability and consistency....but the way they converted this u.s open into an agassi-fest was a bit too much to take...hopefully now that he is out, the coverage will get back to normal....

R_D

International Debutant
Great player and really liked how he carried himself on court later in his tennis career.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
She's very nice in candle-light.

I agree with Steulen, a bit of a Xtian Billy big bollox in the early days, but once he'd calmed down and lost his hair I grew to like him.

Bit cringey with all the tears and that.

oz_fan

International Regular
Brilliant career. To win all four grand slams plus an Olympic gold medal is incredible. I really enjoyed watching him play. He had some great matches over the years against Sampras, Rafter, etc. Agassi will go down as a true legend of tennis.

Mister Wright

I was always a massive fan of Agassi, I loved his flamboyance.

However, he played a game against some guy (can't remember his name) at the US Open many years ago (when he was still going out with Brooke shields) and he was a terrible sport, which diminished my view of him a little bit. Although he has been a lot better in recent years that will always cloud my view on him. However, he was involved in some great matches. My favourite was when Rafter beat him in the 2001 Wimbeldon semi final.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
I was always a massive fan of Agassi, I loved his flamboyance.

However, he played a game against some guy (can't remember his name) at the US Open many years ago (when he was still going out with Brooke shields) and he was a terrible sport, which diminished my view of him a little bit. Although he has been a lot better in recent years that will always cloud my view on him. However, he was involved in some great matches. My favourite was when Rafter beat him in the 2001 Wimbeldon semi final.
Used to be a bit rebellious i suppose

Mister Wright

GoT_SpIn said:
Used to be a bit rebellious i suppose
It wasn't rebelion, I used to like that about him - the ugly mullet, the bright clothes, the bling - this was clear lack of sportsmanship.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
It wasn't rebelion, I used to like that about him - the ugly mullet, the bright clothes, the bling - this was clear lack of sportsmanship.
That's kind of being rebellious..Going against the normal code.

But he changed from that "way"

Mister Wright

GoT_SpIn said:
That's kind of being rebellious..Going against the normal code.

But he changed from that "way"
You can be rebellious and still be a good sportsman, which Agassi always has been, but what he did was terrible. I remember who it was against now, it was against Karol Kucek (I think that's how you spell it) and Kucek had an injury and was struggling to run around the court, so Agassi just kept lobbing the ball back to him no matter where the ball was on the court because he thought Kucek was faking, when he clearly wasn't.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
. I remember who it was against now, it was against Karol Kucek (I think that's how you spell it) and Kucek had an injury and was struggling to run around the court, so Agassi just kept lobbing the ball back to him no matter where the ball was on the court because he thought Kucek was faking, when he clearly wasn't.
:laugh: That's just good tactics - Sometimes you gotta win

Simon

Mister Wright said:
You can be rebellious and still be a good sportsman, which Agassi always has been, but what he did was terrible. I remember who it was against now, it was against Karol Kucek (I think that's how you spell it) and Kucek had an injury and was struggling to run around the court, so Agassi just kept lobbing the ball back to him no matter where the ball was on the court because he thought Kucek was faking, when he clearly wasn't.
Kucera. sorry...