Cricket Player Manager
Page 103 of 1037 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105113153203603 ... LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,545 of 15548
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: *Official* Tennis Thread

C_C
    True, 80s was a bit more competitive than late 70s.........btw, dont forget Illie nastase...he had a monster game but was involved in too much politics.

Quote Originally Posted by C_C
    Btw, does anyone know what happened to lapentti ?
    faded away into obscurity...i remember when he first arrived on the scene, they were hailing him as a great talent and a future great....but somehow he never came close to fulfilling his potential...
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ View Post
    very very close friend of mine is an Arab Christian and he speaks Arabic too and the visible hidden filth shows the mentality which may never change .....
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ View Post
    AAooouchh !!!!!
    I still remember that zipper accident of mine when I was in kindergarten ..... (Thing is OK I repeat thing is OK now )!!!

True, 80s was a bit more competitive than late 70s.........btw, dont forget Illie nastase...he had a monster game but was involved in too much politics.
    true i missed mr. nasty....he was a force through most of the 70's....

As per who is good enough today to be compared to Rusedski/Todd martin/ivanisevic/courier, lets just agree to disagree, for i think there are dozens today with a game to match or beat all those at their prime.
    That by the way, is also the expert opinion on the matter.
    Err I didn't include Rusedski/Martin , I clearly said 'Becker/Pete/Edberg/Agassi/Goran/Rafter/Courier'. Let me add couple of names more Kefelnikove/Rios/Kureten/Berguera. You say there are dozens, yet you dont name a single player beside Safin/Roger who were as good as those. Roddick/Hewitt at best can be classified in the league of Rusedskis/Krajiceks/Rossets of 90s. I can bet Roddick/Hewitt will find it hard to beat Scud/Krajiceks of 90s (on Grass that is).

C_C
    *I* personally think there are many who could match the gameplay of many you named in that list.

First, you gotto realise that Tennis today is in the same stage as it was around 1990 or so in terms of greats - players like Becker,Edberg, Sampras,Courier,Agassi etc. all up-n-commers or recent stars...

When it comes to Bruguera, i think practically every good claycourter today is better than him...Bruguera was pretty much 'put the ball back' philosophy with not much power or accuracy...just exgaggerated topspin. Players like Federer, Safin, Ferrerro,Kuertin, Moya, Nadal, Agassi, Nalbandian, Hrbarty, Robredo, Chela,Coria,Hewitt, Gaudio, etc. would have him for lunch.

Players who have a better game than Courier, IMO are Safin, Hewitt, Federer, Roddick ( courier always struggled against big servers), Fererro, Nalbandian, Gaudio etc.

When it comes to Becker/Edberg/Agassi/Sampras category, for one, the first two were near-non factors by the time the second half of the 90s rolled around. They apply to generation Sampras/Agassi as much as Sampras/Agassi/Rafter applies to generation Federer/Hewitt - maybe a wee bit more, since they played a couple more years with them than Sampras has but nothing more.
    Kafelnikov was class, but IMO would be bested by players like Federer, Roddick,Hewitt, Nadal, Moya, Safin etc.

Kuerten, again , applies to this generation as much as he applies to Sampras-Agassi generation. Most of this generation's 'good' players - like Federer, Safin, Hewitt etc. have been going at it since 99 or 2000 or so.... Kuerten is still active and still was an awesome force till last year or so...he still counts because right now he is indisposed due to injury, not much else....Rios...well i dunno what to make of Rios really...he spent more time being injured than playing but on his day he could beat anyone... this generation might throw up someone like him- every generation seems to have their 'talented but mostly injured' player - players like Vilas, Cash, Rios etc.

I find that one reason it is so easy to identify the 'greats/good' player of the 90s or 80s is because beyond half a dozen or so players, the players were a whole step below...today beyond maybe the top 5, the top 50 is very competitive to each other- this is something, which is my opinion as well as most expert opinions......

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!

***Official US Tennis Open*** Thread

The seedings announced:

MEN
    1. Roger Federer (SUI)
    2. Rafael Nadal (ESP)
    3. Lleyton Hewitt (AUS)
    4. Andy Roddick (USA)
    5. Marat Safin (RUS)
    6. Nikolay Davydenko (RUS)
    7. Andre Agassi (USA)
    8. Guillermo Coria (ARG)
    9. Gaston Gaudio (ARG)
    10. Mariano Puerta (ARG)
    11. David Nalbandian (ARG)
    12. Tim Henman (GBR)
    13. Richard Gasquet (FRA)
    14. Thomas Johansson (SWE)
    15. Dominik Hrbaty (SVK)
    16. Radek Stepanek (CZE)
    17. David Ferrer (ESP)
    18. Ivan Ljubicic (CRO)
    19. Tommy Robredo (ESP)
    20. Juan Carlos Ferrero (ESP)
    21. Fernando Gonzalez (CHI)
    22. Mario Ancic (CRO)
    23. Jiri Novak (CZE)
    24. Mikhail Youzhny (RUS)
    25. Taylor Dent (USA)
    26. Feliciano Lopez (ESP)
    27. Olivier Rochus (BEL)
    28. Greg Rusedski (GBR)
    29. Tommy Haas (GER)
    30. Max Mirnyi (BLR)
    31. Carlos Moya (ESP)
    32. Tomas Berdych (CZE)

WOMEN
    1. Maria Sharapova (RUS)
    2. Lindsay Davenport (USA)
    3. Amelie Mauresmo (FRA)
    4. Kim Clijsters (BEL)
    5. Svetlana Kuznetsova (RUS)
    6. Elena Dementieva (RUS)
    7. Justine Henin-Hardenne (BEL)
    8. Serena Williams (USA)
    9. Nadia Petrova (RUS)
    10. Venus Williams (USA)
    11. Patty Schnyder (SUI)
    12. Mary Pierce (FRA)
    13. Anastasia Myskina (RUS)
    14. Alicia Molik (AUS)
    15. Nathalie Dechy (FRA)
    16. Elena Bovina (RUS)
    17. Jelena Jankovic (SEM)
    18. Ana Ivanovic (SEM)
    19. Vera Zvonareva (RUS)
    20. Elena Likhovtseva (RUS)
    21. Daniela Hantuchova (SVK)
    22. Dinara Safina (RUS)
    23. Silvia Farina Elia (ITA)
    24. Tatiana Golovin (FRA)
    25. Shinobu Asagoe (JPN)
    26. Francesca Schiavone (ITA)
    27. Nicole Vaidisova (CZE)
    28. Gisela Dulko (ARG)
    29. Flavia Pennetta (ITA)
    30. Anna Chakvetadze (RUS)
    31. Ai Sugiyama (JPN)
    32. Anna-Lena Groenefeld (GER)
    Cricketweb Colts Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Hayden > Lehmann
    I'm a member of Club Kerry

I'm Green

The color of immortality, nature and envy - you are truly a unique person. While clearly the color of nature, you also symbolize rebirth, fertility and hope in the world. On the other side of the spectrum, a natural aptitude to money with green coming to signify money and possibly even *********!

Burger Time Champion!
    Interesting to see that Hewitt is seeded higher than Roddick, when Roddick was 2 and Hewitt 3 for Wimbeldon.

I think that is because the other us, the french and the australan opens have there seedings based purley on the world rankings while wimbeldon like to tinker with them a bit too suit their needs

Is any one doing a competition thingy like at the other ones?
    penis

Dream XI: M Hyder, J Linker, M Clock, S Wetsin, A Simms, A Golcrhist, B Hugg, S Worde, B Leap, J Giuseppe, G MacGrith

Good too see old Rusedksi has managed too get himelf a seeding he might be able to get too the 3rd instead of getting drawn against a top seed in the 2nd round like he has of late. Obviously Federer will most likely win although id like too see safin claim his 2nd grand slam title of the year.
    It really is about time kim clisters won a major title so im tipping her too win the womens event

Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoggy31
    Is any one doing a competition thingy like at the other ones?
    I hope so, they were going to tinker with the format (hope so)
    You know it makes sense.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Simon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by archie mac
    I hope so, they were going to tinker with the format (hope so)
    yeh i think as of the quarter finals we were gonna tip of womens matches to make it more open in the later rounds...

in this tournament i give Tommy Haas NO CHANCE of winning at all, in fact even though hes seeded he will probably go out first round...

Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by broncoman
    in this tournament i give Tommy Haas NO CHANCE of winning at all, in fact even though hes seeded he will probably go out first round...
    You never know with Haas, as he is a real confidence player, Can't see him winning it, though he may cause a few upset a long the way.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Simon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by archie mac
    You never know with Haas, as he is a real confidence player, Can't see him winning it, though he may cause a few upset a long the way.
    hes got the talent of a top 5 player, if u combine the fact that hes won about 4 matches since the French open and hes playing with 3 injuries i cant see him doing anything. Perhaps he will get a Gary Qualifier first round and beat him, but going by his seeding he is likely to face one of the top seeds in the 3rd round, if he gets that far...

Burger Time Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pothas
    I think that is because the other us, the french and the australan opens have there seedings based purley on the world rankings while wimbeldon like to tinker with them a bit too suit their needs
    Which is all the much stranger considering Hewitt was in good gorm and is probably the better player on Grass and is a formal champion.

Thread Information