• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Thank gawd Zverev, Shapalovov Rublev and the others are coming through.

Andersons win means that come the Oz Open, the youngest male grand-slam winner will be well over 29, a time tennis players used to retire.

Yeah, I know it's not because how awful a generation of tennis players where, it's because people like anderson, Wawrinka and Cilic are all greats....

Niall

International Coach
Happy that Anderson won, tougher draw and slightly less likely to be hammered by Nadal in a final than PCB.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Thank gawd Zverev, Shapalovov Rublev and the others are coming through.

Andersons win means that come the Oz Open, the youngest male grand-slam winner will be well over 29, a time tennis players used to retire.

Yeah, I know it's not because how awful a generation of tennis players where, it's because people like anderson, Wawrinka and Cilic are all greats....
Well Stan is definitely a great player and Cilic has the potential to be...Anderson isn't but then he doesn't belong on that list based on one finals appearance in a historically injury-hit open...

grecian

Well Stan is definitely a great player and Cilic has the potential to be...Anderson isn't but then he doesn't belong on that list based on one finals appearance in a historically injury-hit open...
Stan definitely a great player on overall performances throughout his career? nah, no way same with Cilic, my point with Anderson is that no, he's an average pla\yer but he's put away some of the people that should be great whilsts being that. It's the entir narrative that players are only useless because the GOATS were all playing that I utterly disagree with, these were great players, but the competition behind was weak for a generation, hey I accept that they were in awe, but Stan starting to won slams when he was 29, shows they weren't invincible. Del potro when fit can compete,so why can't Dimitrov, Nishikori and Raonic?

It was a great era. that era ended about 3 years ago and now everyone still pretends they're in it.

oh whats the point, I wouldn't mind at all if people didn't use older wTA players as proofof weakness whilst masturbating over the geriatrics of the ATP. In the end Wta will have 3 champions of grand-slams under 25 after this tournament, and I preer the youngsters coming through in sport.

Last edited:

grecian

Look. I'll make another post here to say that there is no way in the World I don't think Federer and Nadal belong in the top 5 of the mens tennis rankings ever. I thought there Wimbledon finals were even better than Borg/McEnroes which is still probably my fave sports aestetics almost ever. I think Nole and andy coming aroun accentuated this, and it was all good fun, but in the end, the golden era has past awhile ago, we need to objectivly look at the supposed challangers and their weaknesses, without the "oh well they only lost because of the great ones".

It's not a golden era now, it shows that the fact is that these guys can stll win in a weaker era, that they were greats, but let's not pretend the challengers are particularly good now. It could well be fitting in the long run that people suffering from a golden era should feast on a weak era, and yes it may have happened before if people had improved fitness andf played longer. Again I have no wish to slag fed, Nadal, Murray or Djokovic, great to very good players.

Yet it's all cyclical and i'm pretty excited for the new wave, they look like they have no fear, and of course have been brought up onthe new tennis technology, which let's face it fuels most next leap forwards.

Niall

International Coach
Bleh, this men's tournament has been a pretty miserable watch... 3 mediocre slams in a row now.
Yep very dull. The depressing thing is assuming Nadal wins Sunday, the three winners will have cruised to all 3 wins. Federer dropped zero sets at Wimbly and same for Rafa at the French.

Players are missing this Slam due to injury, but its been a very drab year for men's tennis. All 4 finals contested by veterans and in all likely hood 3 of them very straight forward wins.

The WTA on the other hand has been great since Australia, Ost' winning the french, Mugu winning Wimbledon and of course Keys and Sloane reaching the final and both been involved in some really fun high quality tennis matches.

Nadal is an ATG, but Christ what a comfortable passage to a final he has had, heck even Anderson on the other side hasn't faced the quality the two girls have encountered bar possibly Big Sam.

Last edited:

DriveClub

International Regular
Would've liked a 5 setter but no way delpo was winning against someone like nadal with such a weak back hand. It's so frustrating to see the young guys not improving that fast at all. Sine of them are simply not motivated or driven, others like thiem, zverev are too slow in their growth. Also there are way more players, more tournaments and lot more competitive so young players might feel overwhelmed with all the this. But I feel a big break through is around the corner and hope it happens soon.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Yay, for Anderson... happy for the guy, its a great comeback from the injuries he was fighting this last 18 months. No chance against Nadal but there is always hope....

So in a likelihood it 2 Championships for Nadal and 2 for Federer this year... nobody would have predicted that last year, however 'weak' anybody says the mens Tennis is.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Yay, for Anderson... happy for the guy, its a great comeback from the injuries he was fighting this last 18 months. No chance against Nadal but there is always hope....

So in a likelihood it 2 Championships for Nadal and 2 for Federer this year... nobody would have predicted that last year, however 'weak' anybody says the mens Tennis is.
I don't think the men's game is weak as such. It's just that no younger great champion has created a created a crossover in the the generations, which is what always used to happen.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nadal is an ATG, but Christ what a comfortable passage to a final he has had, heck even Anderson on the other side hasn't faced the quality the two girls have encountered bar possibly Big Sam.
I've been thinking about it, has any champ had an easier run to the final?

I think maybe Agassi in AO 2003? Played a bunch of scrubs, and the highest ranked player he beat was Grosjean at 16.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Can't begrudge Rafa for his draw, he's missed enough Majors over his career through injury. Convincingly beat Del Potro who beat Federer.

I used to think US Open was his weakest Major earlier in his career. He's really improved there over the years and declined somewhat on grass.