• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Carreno Busta's route to the SF -

E King (who?)
C Norrie (who?)
Mahut (ok, standard-ish 3rd rounder I suppose)
Shapovalov (admittedly tougher than quite a few seeded players)
Schwartzman (erm)

Fair play for making it through, but I can't think of too many easier runs.

Nadal's draw also is an absolute cup-cake, hoping this Rublev kid can at least make him work a bit.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Ugh, thought querrey would make it through. The Fed-Rafa semi feels like the virtual final, but I hope I'm wrong. I want Delpo to somehow pull this off... Would be the story of the year.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Normally I wouldn't want another Federer v Nadal final, but as the two best players in the draw by miles it's ludicrous that they're in the same half. It's all Andy Murray's fault for pulling out so late that the seedlings couldn't be changed. :wheelchai

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Ugh, thought querrey would make it through. The Fed-Rafa semi feels like the virtual final, but I hope I'm wrong. I want Delpo to somehow pull this off... Would be the story of the year.
While I can see the reasons for unhappiness... as a SA and Anderson supporter I have to love that he is in the semis and hope he makes the finals. Will never get a better opportunity.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
at this point, everything looks primed for nadal's 3rd open win...also got a sneaky feeling delpo will take out roger...

OverratedSanity

Apart from Delpo,the men's tournament has been rubbish. Good thing the women's side of things has been pretty entertaining or I'd have almost stopped watching.

Wanted Kvitova to win though :(

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Murray out for the rest of the year as well. I wouldn't be surprised if Fed sits it out as well after the Open. The O2 this year could be a real Who's Who of players who have achieved squat.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
The ladies number 1 seed manages to live down to her reputation. We could be on for all Americans in the semifinals. Not exactly a renascence as it's a granny and three habitual underachievers.

Niall

International Coach
Rublev is clearly talented, but he is out of his depth here against Rafa.

Its a grim US Open so far from the Men, this is the highest ranked player Rafa has faced and on the other side we have Busta one game away from the final (on a bloody hardcourt!) after beating 4 qualifiers and a not fully fit Schwartzman.

Rublev also benefited from facing a not fully fit Dimi and Goffin who could barely move Monday.

Have enjoyed the ladies side though, always had a soft spot for Keys and Stephens and Venus has always been the likeable sister. Coco however is one of those people who would proudly tell you "she tells it like it is" without any irony whatsoever.

Last edited:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
What has happened to men's tennis?
There's no next generation of champions coming through. It could end up like the Ladies with a lot of mediocre players taking it in turns to win Slams. If Murray and Djokovic can get fit there could be a lot more titles in it for them.

Niall

International Coach
What has happened to men's tennis?
Its not a good slam for the men, but to be fair, Murray, Wawrinka, Djokovic and Raonic were huge losses for the slam.

I don't think men's tennis needs to panic unless guys like Busta getting to Slam semi finals becomes a more regular thing. The sport just needs the big guys back and the likes of Zverev, Thiem and Kyrigos to start winning Slams.

vcs

There's no next generation of champions coming through. It could end up like the Ladies with a lot of mediocre players taking it in turns to win Slams. If Murray and Djokovic can get fit there could be a lot more titles in it for them.
It really does feel that way. Federer at 36 and Rafa and 31 are breezing through draws with disconcerting ease. Novak and Murray will be right up there when they are back fit. However, the 2001-2002 period was pretty poor as well, before a certain Swiss player started becoming consistent..

vcs

I don't want him to lose to Rafa at all 4 Slams.

Based on their matches this year, he has as good a chance as ever, though if it happens, if will definitely be a much tougher match for him than Indian Wells/Miami. Hope the confidence from those matches carries through for him.