• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I put the tennis back on for the final set of the Men's Doubles Final and over an hour later despite the obvious tension and drama I'm finding it utterly tedious.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I remember watching an outstanding men's doubles match around 8 years ago, but not sure of all the players involved. Bhupati-Mirnyi were there for sure.

grecian

Mens doubles really is too serve orientated to be interesting IMHO. Plus that there really aren't any decent names playing it like there used to be. Highest singles rating of Melo 273, Kubot was a top 50 player, umm, 7 years ago, Peya only reached 92 a decade ago, Philipp Petzschner, again top 50 many years ago, clearly all people that never quite cracked singles so took up doubles, which isn't really elite sport. Shame really I used to love matches like Macca/Fleming versus the two Macs, the volleying skills and shot-making was different level, This match was fairly epic too, 2 Wimbledon champs triumphing.Yet the physical demands on players just mean it'll never happen again. Do get it a bit in Davis Cups and the Olympics though.

Mixed is kinda fun, and the Ladies generally have some biggish names and characters, like BMS, Safarova, Vesnina, Hingis, Mirza, so can be okay, was a bit of a blow-out this tournament though, but I like Vesnina, and 3 top 50 players.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Your link just showed me the link to another video that I had forgotten. McEnroe and Steffi Graf playing mixed doubles together. Was a heap of fun, until Steffie bailed out on him having made the singles semis. :laugh:

harsh.ag

Hope Cilic wins a set here. It can be so disillusioning having reached the final at Center Court, the whole world watching, and having the entire crowd with Federer.

vogue

International Vice-Captain
Would love to see Cilic win at least one set. Haven't particularly enjoyed this much. Not sure why. Perhaps it's just felt inevitable that Fed would win. Cilic seems to have struggled some.

vogue

International Vice-Captain
Well done Federer. He is just something else in tennis history. Amazing athlete. To be admired.