• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

Niall

International Coach
I have seen worse matches, but pleased that we did not have a fifth set and happy that Sam is gone. Nice lad I assume, but would have been a waste of everyone's time in the final, Cilic has the potential to somewhat trouble Federer and would be favourite against Berdych.

Last edited:

vogue

International Vice-Captain
Yeah so cringe to hear the commentators gush about the quality of the tennis when it's so obviously the lowest standard in a Wimbledon semi-final in decades. You could serve John Inverdale a turd on a plate and he'd call it a masterpiece.
I'm not sure why he even is asked to commentate at Wimbledon..

So, still hoping for a Federer/Cilic final.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Berdych had a couple of glaring chances in the first two sets that he completely squandered. Bit of an if only for him.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah so cringe to hear the commentators gush about the quality of the tennis when it's so obviously the lowest standard in a Wimbledon semi-final in decades. You could serve John Inverdale a turd on a plate and he'd call it a masterpiece.
Was commentating more about the style rather than the quality, but yeah, the quality wasn't particularly brilliant either. The style of play was rather one-dimensional as well.

I don't know if I'd call it the lowest standard semi-final in decades.. there was that Hewitt-Nalbandian year. Quite a while back though.

Jerzy Janowicz reached the semifinal in 2013 I think, and Berdych reached the semi last year. Didn't watch that match but by the statistics it appeared like he played a poorer match compared to his effort today. Still a long way from beating the top guys in an important match though.

Federer didn't play as well as he did against Raonic, but Berdych did a decent job of getting his returns in deep and putting him under some pressure, I thought.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
cilic and muguruza will win this year i think beating 2 great champions...

Last edited:

vogue

Muguruza breaks against Williams.. wonder if she can hold ?

And she does..

Last edited:

vogue

Williams going down 0-6 in the second didn't take long..and a rather subdued finish. Pity for Venus as I would have liked to see her win.
Congratulations to Muguruza.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Great stuff Garbiñe. After toughing out the first set that was completely deserved.

Shame for Venus to get bageled but there ya go.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Great tennis for the first 10 games........... Muga's been my tip for a few years. Hopefully she'll become more consistent.
Doesn't really need to be that consistent if she keeps on performing in Slams, Nowadays 23 is young in tennis and she's won 2 slams and made another final, who cares what she does at WTA level really. 4 titles, 2 of them slams.

great 1st set, painful 2nd set, shame for Venus, but Garbine is an interesting character, quite sarky as well, which obviously I like. Also happy with her comeback from the French, where her comeback to Kiki M was legendary snark and well-deserved.

Last edited:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Doesn't really need to be that consistent if she keeps on performing in Slams, Nowadays 23 is young in tennis and she's won 2 slams and made another final, who cares what she does at WTA level really. 4 titles, 2 of them slams.

great 1st set, painful 2nd set, shame for Venus, but Garbine is an interesting character, quite sarky as well, which obviously I like. Also happy with her comeback from the French, where her comeback to Kiki M was legendary snark and well-deserved.
I meant in the Slams. Her record is quite poor aside from the wins. Of course she'd rather win a few and be otherwise inconsistent than continually making the last four without winning, There's no reason why she can't do well at the US Open but so far she hasn't.