• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
So why did Agassi lose to Rafael in straight set then ? I am sure he didn't have any big match experience either. ;)

Talk about shifting Goalposts, well you still missed the goal, proves that monkeys cant play football.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sanz said:
So why did Agassi lose to Rafael in straight set then ? I am sure he didn't have any big match experience either. ;)

Talk about shifting Goalposts, well you still missed the goal, proves that monkeys cant play football.
I have no idea what you're trying to say. I have never said Nadal was a bad player, chump. What I did do, however, is retort your 'experience' argument.

Buddhmaster

International Captain
benchmark00 said:
Nadal - could've gone out first round if his opponent had some more experience.
But in the earlier rounds he could have purely used his skill to beat the lesser opponents. Against Federer on grass in the Wimbledon final, it's gonna take a bit more.

benchmark00

Buddhmaster said:
But in the earlier rounds he could have purely used his skill to beat the lesser opponents. Against Federer on grass in the Wimbledon final, it's gonna take a bit more.
Well done buddhy, you've just made the most irrelevant post of the thread.

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
Chuffed that Federer won. I'm not a fan of Nadal at all: I hate his stupid 3/4 shorts, his singlet, his hairstyle and most of all I hate his stand-3-metres-behind-the-baseline-and-play-horrible-topspin-loopies-all-game style. That type of play annoyed the hell out of me when I was a tennis player and it bores me to tears watching it now.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Sir Redman said:
Chuffed that Federer won. I'm not a fan of Nadal at all: I hate his stupid 3/4 shorts, his singlet, his hairstyle and most of all I hate his stand-3-metres-behind-the-baseline-and-play-horrible-topspin-loopies-all-game style. That type of play annoyed the hell out of me when I was a tennis player and it bores me to tears watching it now.
did you watch the final at all? i think he came to the net even more than federer(or at least as much) and was fairly successful at net as well....

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I find he uses his 'behind the base-line top spin' style of play more on the slow courts because simply, it works. It works whether he plays Federer or someone ranked over 100. But when he plays Federer on grass, he obviously has to change it up, which he attempted.

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
Anil said:
did you watch the final at all? i think he came to the net even more than federer(or at least as much) and was fairly successful at net as well....
No, because I was on holiday and didn't stay at any places with Sky tv. I'm just generalising based on what I've seen from him on clay and hard courts.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Sir Redman said:
No, because I was on holiday and didn't stay at any places with Sky tv. I'm just generalising based on what I've seen from him on clay and hard courts.
well, give the guy some credit for getting over some steep learning curves really quickly....he didn't look too shabby at the net when he did choose to come in....his general quickness around the court aided him there as well...he was very nervous at the beginning of the match and federer really took advantage and grabbed the first set before nadal knew what hit him...then his natural competitiveness came to the fore and he really took the fight to federer and there was a perceptible drop in federer's quality of play.....the 2nd and 3rd sets were extremely close and one loose game in the fourth set threw away the match for nadal....federer himself acknowledged at the end that the nervous giveaway at the beginning by nadal was what helped him win what ultimately was a very close match....federer was clearly the better player on the day but i'm pretty sure this guy would've won against most other people...and quite likely would win the whole thing one of these days.....

Simon

2006 US Open thread

The last grand slam of the year starts on Monday, the usuals should probably make it to week 2.
the draw has been released and these are my semi final predictions

Roger Federer vs Andy Murray
Novak Djokovic vs Rafael Nadal

Im hoping Haas can come through and make the semis, hes in Murray's secton which is probably the easiest of the 4 quarters.

Womens

Martina Hingis vs Nadia Petrova
Venus Williams vs Justine Henin Hardenne

Simon

Men's odds

ROGER FEDERER $1.50
RAFAEL NADAL $4.50
ANDY RODDICK $15.00
JAMES BLAKE $34.00
ANDY MURRAY $34.00
RICHARD GASQUET $41.00