• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

vogue

International Vice-Captain
Watson looked good. Glad to see her through to the next round. In other news Kvitova goes out.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Shame about Petra, but pretty predictable. People get carried away with comebacks in any sports, football is big on it, people run on adrenaline, they concentrate on everything, it lets them get over their rustiness, at first but then for awhile after it all settles in. Same with sharapova and Stuttgart (not comparing the things they went through, just saying people made Maria fave for the FO after winning a couple of matches, was ridiculous, there was always going to be a comedown). Petra has a severe injury to contend with too.

Of course there have been terrible comebacks when people have rushed into it, in general, don't think this was the case here, noone expected her to comeback at this time.

To win a Tournament, and to win a couple of matches at a slam is an incredible achievement considering what she went though. Hopefully, she can rest up, and have a decent hard-court season. Shame she hates the US Open.

This Ostapenko-Abanda match is fun in a tennis hipstery type way, I long for the day Abanda becomes Canadian number 1, much more talented and pretty then the current Canuck girl.

Last edited:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Venus Williams is the only former champion left in and it's not impossible that she could win it. I almost hope she does or we could have another Bartoli picking up the trophy.

vogue

Just watching Dimitrov against Baghdatis ... eye candy really...whilst switching over to the cricket. Nice early afternoons viewing..:)

vogue

Dimitrov goes through easily, hopefully going to see him go through to next week.
Edmund down a set against Monfils. Think he needs to raise his overall game here,would like to see a 5 setter,even in this heat...

vogue

Monfils through in 3, a pity as Edmund did show some good tennis throughout the match. Good forehand
. Monfils quite a cool guy. :cool:

grecian

as long as """"ing Ostapenko doesn't repeat it should be fine
I like Ostabrat, she's eminently entertaining. Kiki or Coco are the two I dread, reckon it could happen too, even though still think Pliskova "should" do it. She'd be pretty worthy too.

grecian

A successful jinx on Kiki, TBF to me though, I'd given up looking at the scores when she was a set and a break up. Alison Riske well done, now do it again.

Apparently Betthanie Mattek-Sands has had an awful fall, hope it's not too serious:(

Last edited:

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
I like Ostabrat, she's eminently entertaining.
well at least you acknowledge she's a brat so that's something. (Although tbf 99 % of both tours are probably brats, she's just a bit more public about it)

Anyone seen Alex Hales' twitter btw? Boy has Opinions

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nadal, I think. Not convinced Novak has his mental state completely sorted out just yet.

vogue

Watching Pliskova/Rybarikova match. Interesting third set as Rybarikova has broken Pliskova and has been broken back immediately. Now 3-2 to Rybarikova.

vogue

Rybarikova now 5-2 .. great game from her..

And Pliskova is out..

Last edited: