• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Jono said:
Only when its used to hurt my feelings.
Oh look, I didn't mean to do anything of the sort. If I want to hurt someone's feelings, I'll say it straight out and be done with it. Chin up.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Jono said:
But he clearly has improved, from going from a player that is pretty ordinary on grass to someone who can steal a set off Federer in the final of the biggest grass tournament in the world. All that whilst doing some bicep curls.

He's not just merely good at tennis, he's the most improved player by a long shot over the past 18 months, and a lot of that has to do with his forehand shot. Now I'm not going to argue that he needs to build his biceps to have an awesome forehand, but its not hurting is it? Unless you're going to argue that if he spent less time strengthening his biceps he'd get closer to beating possibly the greatest tennis player ever.
Which I was. The extra muscle won't hurt him to any noticeable degree while on court, but to some minute degree he'd be carrying extra weight which would fatigue him 0.00001% faster or something. I'm sure the sports science lot would be able to tell us the ideal physique for a tennis player and those biceps aint it - like I've said already you won't see any of the other top tennis players with them, even Sampras with his heavy racquet (dunno how it compares with Nadal's racquet) didn't have 'em.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
But Nadal's stamina is better than any other tennis player. He successfully chases balls down that Federer wouldn't be able to, but obviously Federer doesn't have to chase those balls down as often because he's got better strokes and is overall a better player. But its clear that Nadal's stamina becomes a vital cog to his armour on slow courts, in particular clay, because there is less value for stroke on those courts. Hence Nadal can chase almost anything down, whereas other players tire earlier having to run more on the court compared to a faster hard court or grass court.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Wait a second, biceps create a heavier arm which would then equal more force behind each shot, wouldn't it?

Anyways, athletes aren't machines. They're people too. Shock horror, Nadal might enjoy going to the gym and working out. If the regular joe wants to go to the gym and get bigger biceps so he looks good on the beach, why can't Nadal?

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
vic_orthdox said:
Wait a second, biceps create a heavier arm which would then equal more force behind each shot, wouldn't it?

Anyways, athletes aren't machines. They're people too. Shock horror, Nadal might enjoy going to the gym and working out. If the regular joe wants to go to the gym and get bigger biceps so he looks good on the beach, why can't Nadal?
Doesn't work like that, otherwise Henman would never have been able to hit the ball harder than 20mph. Heavier arm means he'll swing slower so the force will remain the same. Regardless the fact remains Nadal is a poser.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
burkey_1988 said:
Oh look, I didn't mean to do anything of the sort. If I want to hurt someone's feelings, I'll say it straight out and be done with it. Chin up.
Didn't you say "Look, we can all quote films at length, it's no special talent. Take a breather, young Jono. We'll handle it from here."

Turns out you failed bobby. You are not talented enough.:cool: :cool:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Thank You :) If I am not wrong that is the only set Roger lost @ Wimbledon this year and most probably all of last year. This match could have gone to 5 sets had Nadal had some more experience.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sanz said:
Thank You :) If I am not wrong that is the only set Roger lost @ Wimbledon this year and most probably all of last year. This match could have gone to 5 sets had Nadal had some more experience.
Nadal - could've gone out first round if his opponent had some more experience.

benchmark00

Nadal was down two sets to love, but to his credit he came back. Could've easily gone the other chumps way though...

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
benchmark00 said:
Nadal was down two sets to love, but to his credit he came back. Could've easily gone the other chumps way though...
As someone said it was in the second round and against a guy who turned pro in 1999 and definately has more experience than Nadal.

So get your facts right before you argue with me..

benchmark00

Sanz said:
As someone said it was in the second round and against a guy who turned pro in 1999 and definately has more experience than Nadal.

So get your facts right before you argue with me..
Hang on, hang on big fella. I wasn't arguing with you about anything, but experience has nothing to do with the year you turned pro, it has to do with big match experience, he was a qualifier.

I think he also had a coterie in the stands.