• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sports in which skill levels have increased the most

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Yeah, enough regarding the size of sports, lets just keep it to the actual topic.

Now hopefully it can be another three years till I have to do any more moderating.

Riggins

International Captain
Nah that's always been a sought after individual skill.

The main development was in the 90s when teams learned to use offensive screens and pick and rolls to either set up easy baskets for a player or create mis-matches with the opposition defence.

The players probably aren't individually more talented, they just have way more sophisticated offensive and defensive strategies.
what!?

Athlai

Not Terrible
AFL is one of the most popular niche sports in the world but comparing it to basketball is just mind boggling.

Does anywhere besides Australia even have a professional team or league?

League of Legends is more likely to overtake basketball than AFL is.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Turkey Just so you haven't missed it - Tur- ****ing - key is the 2nd best basketball team on the planet That's the equivalent of saying that Burundi is the second best baseball team out there so thanks for that
No matter what your opinion is, this is flat out false and I'm not even sure how you came up with it. Spain have nearly beaten the USA in both of the last two Olympic Gold Medal games, and have some of the best players in the world. I'm not even sure if Turkey would be in the top 5. Brazil have a fantastic team, and though their better players are aging Argentina, Russia, and multiple of the former Yugoslav teams have formidable lineups.

You quite clearly have no idea what you're talking about on this one.

EDIT: I forgot France. The team with a Finals MVP and (soon to be) 4-time NBA Champion, and the current reigning NBA Defensive player of the Year. among other NBA players.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Of team sports I'd say, in terms of countries rather than people, basketball's reach is second only to association football's.

Both benefit from their simplicity.

91Jmay

International Coach
AFL is a bigger sport than basketball? What am I reading. Bonkers stuff.

If you count it as a skill level then the physicality + athleticism of Union is not even comparable to 15-20 years ago. Like a different sport at times.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
While the premise that AFL is anything other than a niche sport is absurd, I actually do think it'd have a fair claim to be the most "improved" sport in terms of skill level, tactical depth etc in recent decades, if you could quantify something like that. At least among major team sports. It's almost unrecognisable from 20-30 years ago.

Riggins

International Captain
No matter what your opinion is, this is flat out false and I'm not even sure how you came up with it. Spain have nearly beaten the USA in both of the last two Olympic Gold Medal games, and have some of the best players in the world. I'm not even sure if Turkey would be in the top 5. Brazil have a fantastic team, and though their better players are aging Argentina, Russia, and multiple of the former Yugoslav teams have formidable lineups.

You quite clearly have no idea what you're talking about on this one.

EDIT: I forgot France. The team with a Finals MVP and (soon to be) 4-time NBA Champion, and the current reigning NBA Defensive player of the Year. among other NBA players.
not to mention what's going to happen when Bo Bo wins this years fmvp!!

the big bambino

International Captain
Seriously the attempt to rate AFL as a globally relevant game and using basketball as a counterpoint is probably the most heroic lost cause I've ever seen.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm guessing social thinks that because USA beat Turkey in the last FIBA final. Turkey making it was a huge fluke.
Or he's just trolling. Completely ignoring my link showing bball is not a niche sport and is growing around the world.