• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2014-15

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I'm not actually all that surprised tbh, last summer we wanted a striker desperately (Suarez, Higuain, Benzema) and we eventually got a forward in Alexis. Outside of that we've replaced like for like:
Debuchy/Sagna
Chambers/Vermaelen
Ospina/Fabianski

I genuinely think that not upgrading on Arteta and not brining in an experienced CB to cover is a far bigger crime than not signing a striker. Aterta's legs are gone and we get butchered on the counter against big sides and we're an injury/suspension away from Chambers and Monreal(?) playing CB.

Up top we'll survive until Theo is back. It's not ideal but it's not criminal. Don't think we should let Campbell leave though, if he wasn't already at the club and we were being linked with him for £10m I think most would see it as a good deal. Our squad is obscenely right-side heavy as it is without letting him go.
Yeah, I agreed with all this. The last signing I wanted was a DM who could play CB. But that was before Giroud broke his ****ing leg. I was happy enough with our striking options, but I was thinking Giroud would be available for all the games against average Premier League cannon fodder. Now we can't even beat ****ing Leicester because we have no attacking potency.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Falcao moving to Arsenal would definitely gain them goals. They're picking between Sanogo and Podolski up top at the minute. Falcao might boost his record with a few pens, but jesus, he's a FAR better out-and-out striker than anyone Arsenal have. Same with Liverpool. Would take Falcao ahead of Balotelli and Lambert any day of the week. Falcao's now one of the top few strikers in the league, and to suggest otherwise just because he scores a few pens is ridiculous.
I'm no disputing that he's better than Podolski or Sanago. I wouldn't actually even be against a loan move (providing the fee wasn't too high). This whole argument started with the idea of paying £55m to get him and tearing apart the clubs wage structure to get him. There've been so many other options at better value this transfer window.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Players who score a lot of penalties take them because they are good at them. The argument that we should remove them from a striker's tally to analyse is bizarre. Take Daniel Sturridge as my devil's advocate example. NFI if the one in the derby last year was typical, but it was an atrocious penalty. If that's his ability from the spot, should he be ranked above another forward who scores fewer goals from open play but the same overall because they are a penalty taker?

Absurd. If Gerrard was injured you'd want another top-class taker about, and you have one now. it's extremely valuable. Especially in quality sides. Jesus Christ.

****ing hell

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Nah, as I keep saying average penalties are scored about 80% of the time. Say you get 6-8penalties a season, it might get you one or two goals extra max if you sign someone who's really good at penalties, and that's assuming your current player is a bit **** at taking them. That's not been a major problem for United or Arsenal in recent seasons and I can't actually remember the last time Arsenal missed a penalty in the league. Arteta might have missed one in 12/13 but the last I can remember was RVP v United in the 8-2 and we definitely didn't miss one last season.

King Pietersen

International Captain
I'm no disputing that he's better than Podolski or Sanago. I wouldn't actually even be against a loan move (providing the fee wasn't too high). This whole argument started with the idea of paying £55m to get him and tearing apart the clubs wage structure to get him. There've been so many other options at better value this transfer window.
Well yeah, £55m is a heck of a lot of money, but United have him on loan, and imo, it's a superb piece of business. He'd be an asset to every team in the league, and when fit would be first choice striker at every Premier League side other than possibly Chelsea.

King Pietersen

International Captain
City's strikers completely slipped my mind, but yeah, Aguero would be ahead, but I'd pick him ahead of Dzeko and Jovetic. He's a superb acquisition for United, and would walk into the majority of sides across Europe.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Nah, as I keep saying average penalties are scored about 80% of the time. Say you get 6-8penalties a season, it might get you one or two goals extra max if you sign someone who's really good at penalties, and that's assuming your current player is a bit **** at taking them. That's not been a major problem for United or Arsenal in recent seasons and I can't actually remember the last time Arsenal missed a penalty in the league. Arteta might have missed one in 12/13 but the last I can remember was RVP v United in the 8-2 and we definitely didn't miss one last season.
It's a pointless stat because teams appoint penalty takers who are likely to score.

I'm sure if they were allocated I players who weren't good at taking them it would go down...

Eds

International Debutant
It's a pointless stat because teams appoint penalty takers who are likely to score.

I'm sure if they were allocated I players who weren't good at taking them it would go down...
But the numbers are incredibly similar for penalty shootouts, where the takers are presumably less skillful.

It's really not hard to score a penalty. It's more a % thing than a test of skill, aside from really poor penalties and really poor luck.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Removing penalties from his record makes logical sense if he isn't going to take them at his new club ffs.

I'm just holding out for Carvalho and Nastasic. Would be a great window regardless of what Bob down the pub wants to say

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm not actually all that surprised tbh, last summer we wanted a striker desperately (Suarez, Higuain, Benzema) and we eventually got a forward in Alexis. Outside of that we've replaced like for like:
Debuchy/Sagna
Chambers/Vermaelen
Ospina/Fabianski

I genuinely think that not upgrading on Arteta and not brining in an experienced CB to cover is a far bigger crime than not signing a striker. Aterta's legs are gone and we get butchered on the counter against big sides and we're an injury/suspension away from Chambers and Monreal(?) playing CB.

Up top we'll survive until Theo is back. It's not ideal but it's not criminal. Don't think we should let Campbell leave though, if he wasn't already at the club and we were being linked with him for £10m I think most would see it as a good deal. Our squad is obscenely right-side heavy as it is without letting him go.
Lol.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
But the numbers are incredibly similar for penalty shootouts, where the takers are presumably less skillful.

It's really not hard to score a penalty. It's more a % thing than a test of skill, aside from really poor penalties and really poor luck.
I'd like to see the stat for shootouts. If you're right, fair enough but I would be surprised.

But you're right let's remove them from his tally as Wenger might not think he's a better taker than Arteta, who is guaranteed to play every Arsenal game.

Can we also remove any goals scored from corners where someone else would have been stood where he was if he wasn't playing

Any one on ones where someone of similar pace and ability of movement should probably be removed too

In fact the only goals which should count are those scored directly from kick off (but then, is this unfair as he might not wind up taking kick off for Arsenal) or individual goals where he won the ball himself to start the move - but only if we can prove he'd have been in the position to make said tackle for his new club

grecian

Couldn't disagree more, a solid pen taker is a boon, it's a game-changer of massive proportions, not just the goal, but the deflation of a miss. Penalty shoot-outs are odd I'll admit so many solid penalty takers miss them in it. Yet it's irrelevant for the rest of the time. % are much higher for some than others.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Couldn't disagree more, a solid pen taker is a boon, it's a game-changer of massive proportions, not just the goal, but the deflation of a miss. Penalty shoot-outs are odd I'll admit so many solid penalty takers miss them in it. Yet it's irrelevant for the rest of the time. % are much higher for some than others.
United already have Rooney, Van Persie, Mata and Di Maria though. And if they were desperate then I'm sure a couple of people spending a few hours practicing in training would make up for it. They're not that hard.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
If you think that actually makes logical sense then get your head checked "la"
I am being deliberately obtuse, perhaps you missed that.

I don't give a tiny **** whether he would have improved Arsenal or not (I mean clearly he would even if shock horror he wouldn't be the penalty taker). It's simply absurd to say 'well one third of his goals are penalties so take them out and you're only left with x'

The "la" thing clearly uncalled for, just ftr

Jarquis

I've never said Falcao wouldn't improve us. Would he do so to the tune of £55m and 200k pw? Nah.