• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2014-15

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I can see exactly why Arsenal did not go for him but I kind of think they should have done just to stop Chelsea. They better spend that sort of money on someone else (a striker) now.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I can see exactly why Arsenal did not go for him but I kind of think they should have done just to stop Chelsea. They better spend that sort of money on someone else (a striker) now.
I'm not holding my breath at the moment. Unless a really top player becomes available somehow I can't see Wenger spending huge amounts again, especially when Vela is apparently on his way back on the cheap. I imagine the idea of Giroud/Podolski/Sanogo/Vela/Walcott is preferable to him than those 5 and one other player who's quite decent but super expensive. Morata seems the most likely option at the moment, but I can see him going elsewhere if Arsenal don't get their finger out.

Will be interesting to see if the rumours about Bender amount to anything too.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
In the spring Chelsea beat us 6-0. Since then they've spent over 60 million on Costa and Fabregas, and we've lost our right back.

Just **** off.

Pothas

Just can't see that being enough with Chelsea hugely strengthening and City bound to as well.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Just can't see that being enough with Chelsea hugely strengthening and City bound to as well.
Yes, I agree.

The problem is, so far as I can see anyway, and I think Uppercut has made this point in the past, that Arsenal's entire squad is made up of players who are, for the most part anyway, pretty good. I think you'd be hard-pressed to identify any player in the first team, and maybe even the entire squad, who is a bona fide "weak link". The difficulty is that any player who's even moderately better than what Arsenal have available to them at the moment will cost a huge amount, and I can fully understand why Wenger would opt to stick rather than twist.

Clearly though, if Arsenal are to compete with the top teams, they need to strengthen. I just can't, off the top of my head anyway, think of many players that are available and would fit the bill. Missing out on Higuain last year was huge I think. I wonder if Wenger regrets it too. Bit of a rock and a hard place situation really.

Last edited:

Pothas

Yeah it was. It is why Balotelii rumours almost make sense. Having said that I really have no idea how good he actually.

Wonder how close the Suarez thing actually was as well.

King Pietersen

International Captain
Such a weird signing, a good one for Chelsea, but a really bizarre one. Thought the Fabregas to Chelsea talks were purely rumours, obviously not. They're lining up pretty well now Chelsea. Not only have they added Diego Costa and Fabregas, but Courtois and Lukaku are two returning loanees who are effectively new signings; should they choose to keep them anyway. Think they're going to be the team to beat this year.

Pothas

Yeah it looks like they will be although City can change that if they actually buy some defenders.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah it was. It is why Balotelii rumours almost make sense. Having said that I really have no idea how good he actually.

Wonder how close the Suarez thing actually was as well.
I think Balotelli is pretty great. Definitely has the ability anyway, his temperament just seems to lend itself to him having a crap work ethic. If you combined someone of his ability with another striker who's technically limited but works his arse off (like Giroud, perhaps) you'd have a fantastic forward I think. He'd certainly be a great addition to what Arsenal have available to them at the moment, but the bloke is a complete berk. I just cannot see Wenger going for him, simply because the guy is a disaster waiting to happen.

A bit of a shame really. I suspect there is more substance to the rumours linking Arsenal with Insigne, but I'm fairly indifferent to the prospect. I've no doubt he's a decent enough player, but is he much of an upgrade on what Arsenal have already? Is he the kind of player who'd make the difference between you finishing 1st and finishing in 3rd or 4th? I'd have to answer both of those questions with a resounding "no".

Pothas

I think Balotelli is pretty great. Definitely has the ability anyway, his temperament just seems to lend itself to him having a crap work ethic. If you combined someone of his ability with another striker who's technically limited but works his arse off (like Giroud, perhaps) you'd have a fantastic forward I think. He'd certainly be a great addition to what Arsenal have available to them at the moment, but the bloke is a complete berk. I just cannot see Wenger going for him, simply because the guy is a disaster waiting to happen.

A bit of a shame really. I suspect there is more substance to the rumours linking Arsenal with Insigne, but I'm fairly indifferent to the prospect. I've no doubt he's a decent enough player, but is he much of an upgrade on what Arsenal have already? Is he the kind of player who'd make the difference between you finishing 1st and finishing in 3rd or 4th? I'd have to answer both of those questions with a resounding "no".
Dunno the very few times I have seen him he has been pretty good and is still young but really could not make any confident predictions about how he would do.

Should really have gone for Griezmann before the World Cup because I suspect he will be worth quite a lot more after it.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Dunno the very few times I have seen him he has been pretty good and is still young but really could not make any confident predictions about how he would do.

Should really have gone for Griezmann before the World Cup because I suspect he will be worth quite a lot more after it.
Yeah, this is the thing, on the few occasions I have seen him I would say that he's been pretty good as well. But then again, most of Arsenal's squad is pretty good. He may go on to become a really exceptional player, and I'll admit I've not seen enough of him to dismiss the possibility, but I honestly don't feel he's a player who could make Arsenal significantly better/stronger than they are at present (certainly not in the immediate future anyway), and that's really what they desperately need at the moment.

I could say the same about Mandzukic actually. Decent player and all, and very highly rated by some, but would he be the catalyst that would catapult Arsenal towards greater success? I'm not at all convinced he would.

Both he and Insigne would be good to great signings for teams with squads that were already strong, well-established and capable of making serious challenges for honours, like Chelsea (groan). I just can't see them being the kind of players Arsenal would need them to be. I certainly wouldn't turn my nose up at them if Wenger did go for them, but I can't see them being enough on their own.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Did he ever actually say that though, or was it just made by one of those ****e "football funnies" accounts?

Anyway, no point trying to blame Cesc. Only clubs who wanted him were, Chelsea and Zenit. I don't blame he one iota for choosing to not retire or play in Russia.

duffer

Seeing a lot of Arsenal have too many midfielders talk around the place. I personally wouldnt give a ****. Sign him and sell the ones aren't as good.