• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2014-15

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Yeah, it's him. He really does look worse and worse every time I see him. It's getting to the stage now where I genuinely wouldn't be surprised to see the next news story about him being about how he's snuffed it. Sad.
I'm sure I read somewhere relatively recently (this week, I think) that he's signed up for a Sunday league side in Bournemouth?

If that is him tho, man. He's, what, 47? Looks like a 70 year old and a raddled one at that.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I'm sure I read somewhere relatively recently (this week, I think) that he's signed up for a Sunday league side in Bournemouth?

If that is him tho, man. He's, what, 47? Looks like a 70 year old and a raddled one at that.
Yeah, he lives in Poole apparently, so that would make sense.

But yeah, the pic definitely is him, a quick Google search reveals he's been in hospital after more drinking binges. Like you say, he's looking absolutely ****ing terrible:

One really gets the feeling he is well and truly on his last legs.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Welbeck told he can go. Don't think he's as good as United fans think but still worth keeping IMO, especially as he is a die-hard himself.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Uppercut has always been a fan and an advocate of 'he's a local lad so will never want to leave' belief.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
On Gazza, I think my favourite memory of the bloke, rather than his Euro 96 goal or anything before it, was the goal he scored on debut for that team he went to play for in China when he was already well over the hill. I remember in what was essentially a move to wish him all the best, they actually showed a clip of it on Football Focus. He just brought the ball down, cut inside his man and booted it in from the edge of the area. I know this was the Chinese second division, but still, the fact that he could do that at a time when he was already well past his best just shows what great ability he had. There was something about the whole thing that was really funny, and brought a smile to your face.

Edit: Poor quality, but a vid of the goal can be watched here: CHINA: FORMER ENGLAND MIDFIELDER PAUL GASCOIGNE SCORES A STUNNING GOAL ON HIS COMPETITIVE DEBUT FOR GANSU TIANMA

Last edited:

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Apparently he's had 40 injuries in his time with us. Should've sent him off to the glue factory and claimed insurance.

cpr

International Coach
Its nothing to do with whether Wellbeck is a local lad or not, its the fact he can bring something different to the team.

True he's not a world class striker, but he's proved - more with England than us TBF - that given a run as a striker he can score.

He's shown some good finishing instinct as that first man in the box player, and shown he can link up with other players playing that role - He and Sturridge are a pretty good future for England together from what I have seen.

He's also shown he has the strength and discipline to play the 'hold the ball up for others' link role with Utd, and provided decent cover for the wings. His turn of pace at a defence can rattle a back line on the break. He was one of the brighter sparks in a poor team against Bayern last year, constanty running at their back line, and a bit more composure could've had a goal.

So whilst he's not someone many of us would start with, quite a lot value his importance in the squad. Losing him loses the ability to change the set-up with things aren't going right. More importantly it loses what a lot of our success has been built on - the ability to have a strong reserve who are comfortable not being part of the main XI, and care for the club enough to think every time they pull on the shirt they can fight to impress.

He'd be a far bigger loss than Hernandez would be, and I do rate that little fella highly.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I reckon a move would make sense for him tbh. Whether you rate him or not (and I don't, especially - but am prepared to defer to others who have seen far more of him than I have), he's never going to be a regular starter for Utd. He'd perennially be an impact sub/picked to counter a specific threat type player were he to stay.