• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2014-15

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
We dodged a bullet with Balotelli. Just another Adebayor.
Is it controversial to say that Adebayor was the better footballer? Scored just as many goals with a much better all-round game, but I feel like Balo is rated much higher and I'm not sure why.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Is it controversial to say that Adebayor was the better footballer? Scored just as many goals with a much better all-round game, but I feel like Balo is rated much higher and I'm not sure why.
Because Mario was seen as a bit of a freak whereas Adebayor wasn't and came good. But Mario is only 24 (Adebayor is 30)...he's still got some time on his side.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I think you've basically already answered this with your above post on "maverick" players tbh. Balotelli's poor games were nearly always put down to him being a loose cannon and unpredictable. Adebayor is just widely considered to be a **** and lazy.

I imagine if Adebayor started shooting fireworks out of his bathroom window or whatever people would come around to him as well.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Haha, mind you, on your point about mental players, Eboue doesn't quite fit that mould. He was widely considered to be, shall we say, eccentric, but it didn't stop him being lambasted by nearly everyone. Ironically though I never really thought the criticism was justified, since I just never thought he was really that bad. Anyway, an exception that proves the rule, perhaps.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Is it controversial to say that Adebayor was the better footballer?.
Not at all. Ade when he's on song is Drogbaesque. That performance in the San Siro when we won as incredible as I've seen. Looked like an animal.

Also apparently this is Paul Gascoigne:

Can anyone confirm?

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah, it's him. He really does look worse and worse every time I see him. It's getting to the stage now where I genuinely wouldn't be surprised to see the next news story about him being about how he's snuffed it. Sad.

Eds

International Debutant
Not at all. Ade when he's on song is Drogbaesque. That performance in the San Siro when we won as incredible as I've seen. Looked like an animal.
Is this not the same as Balotelli though? Had a couple of games for Italy where he's looked absolutely unplayable. vs Germany the best example I can remember.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Smitteh's free to come in and abuse disagree with me but I don't think City would have won the title 2 years ago without him.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
I don't necessarily disagree, he did make the pass for Aguero at the death.

Doesn't mean that there isn't a veritable pantheon of players who would've done a better job. Maybe they wouldn't have gotten multiple red cards that season and we wouldn't have had to leave it until the last 90 seconds of the season? I loved him as a character but he was awful for 95% of the games he played in at City, people only remember that pass for Aguero and the goals against United in the 6-1. He doesn't put in, he doesn't work, he just stands around and waits for the ball, and then whines when he doesn't get it. He lunges in with horrid two footed challenges, argues with every referee decision ad nauseum, he stomps on peoples chests ffs.

And this bollocks about him changing, does anyone watch ****ing Milan? If anything he's worse. Was the same at the World Cup. He won't change. He's far too arrogant.

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Yeah, there, Knutsford, Tatton, Hale, Bowden, Mere and the like really are millionaires row. Go round Knutsford and the footballers are the poor neighbours bringing the area down. The houses in Tatton share a private lake ffs... Last time I went to Mere Golf Club I had to take a loan out just to buy a pint.
Should've asked for a glass of water.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't necessarily disagree, he did make the pass for Aguero at the death.
His only assist in his entire time at Citeh apparently.

There were a few other good contributions, winning and scoring the late penalty against Spurs was one. But then I also remember Mancini basically handing us the next season's title in November by starting him instead of Tevez in the derby.

I don't know, if I'm honest I'd find it hard not to get excited if United signed him, despite thinking it was a bad idea. But I'd also be pretty happy to see him going to Liverpool. They have a good thing going on there, every player runs himself into the ground like an animal in every game, and I feel like signing the world's laziest player to lead the line could completely screw that up.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Another reason not to tune in then.

Ironic how he left because they wouldn't give him the big games and for his one-off comeback he gets Palace vs West Ham...
I actually rather like Barry Davies. Would prefer to listen to him than most of the current BBC crop, and all of the ITV idiots.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
His agent just posted a pic of his name on a Liverpool shirt and he just posted this on his Instagram:

It's going to be a put-up or shut-up kind of season for him.

Last edited: