• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2014-15

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
£16m is a bargain for Balotelli when you consider the ridiculous prices paid for strikers this summer. Shane Long £12m, Ross McCormack £11m, even Romelu Lukaku for £28m was fairly overpriced. They've got a great deal.
After this goes through, Borini himself is touted to go to Sunderland for £14m. We've had a really good transfer window, credit to Ayre for getting the targeted players, early as could be.

This is unbelievable. No words.
Yeh, went from rumour to done in almost a day. Unlikely to happen, but could even feature against City at this rate.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
is it official then?

Great from a neutral POV

Does this change anyone's perception of Liverpool's title chances? He's obviously no Suarez but given their general overall play last year I think this gives them extra impetus.

Still don't think they'll win it but makes me happier than ever with the £50 bet I made with a colleague the other day that liverpool would finish ahead of Man u

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Does this change anyone's perception of Liverpool's title chances? He's obviously no Suarez but given their general overall play last year I think this gives them extra impetus.
Probably improves them in the sense that it is a high variance signing - could go really well or badly.

It is a risk in the sense that he is far from guaranteed to start every/most games, and if he doesn't then he could easily cause problems. With that being said though, there isn't anyone who would be offered signing Balotelli and getting rid of Borini (if it happens) for a £2m net outlay and turn it down.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Bar a complete break down in personal negotiations then it's safe to say this is as good as done. He's told his teammates and Sky Italia that it was his last training session today and that he is going to Liverpool. Apparently he was on 60-65k per week in Milan and wants ~90k from Liverpool which is very doable. His agent, Mino Raiola, is headed to London to meet up with Liverpool officials and finalise it. At this pace, probably be announced by tomorrow when he does his medical.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
And unlike the Sanchez deal he's not going to snub you because it means living in Liverpool, seeing as he managed to put up with Manchester for a few years, and as nobody better is interested

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Puts in a shift 1 in every 3, have fun with that. At least it's usually against the bigger sides.

Played some of the worst games I've ever seen by a City player, and believe me when I say, as an actualy City fan, I've seen some ****ing bad games.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's a really strange signing tactically. Like Rodgers has clearly geared his entire summer towards playing a pressing game, which Liverpool did spectacularly well last season, and then signed a striker who makes pressing pretty much impossible.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Admittedly this is probably the biggest "if" of all time, but if he can get Balotelli playing then it's a sensational signing, and an absolute bargain to boot.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Admittedly this is probably the biggest "if" of all time, but if he can get Balotelli playing then it's a sensational signing, and an absolute bargain to boot.
Rodgers obviously thinks that having managed to by and large keep Suarez under control last season he can take on anyone

He does appear to be a quality man manager but this is a different challenge than Suarez in many ways

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
And unlike the Sanchez deal he's not going to snub you because it means living in Liverpool, seeing as he managed to put up with Manchester for a few years, and as nobody better is interested
The snide geographical digs are pretty poor huh? Nonetheless in terms of England of course nobody better is interested, as the only two options have either had him once already (City) or managed him already (Chavs)

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Rodgers obviously thinks that having managed to by and large keep Suarez under control last season he can take on anyone

He does appear to be a quality man manager but this is a different challenge than Suarez in many ways
There's a difference; Suarez is just a scumbag. Balotelli's mentally unhinged.

Uppercut

I don't know if I'd credit Rodgers for that. He's as highly-motivated as any player in the world, so getting him to perform on the pitch shouldn't ever be a problem. He tends to be very popular in dressing rooms too, considering he's a massive bastard.

The only real issue is stopping him getting bans for crazy ****, which Rodgers didn't do a great job of.

Uppercut

I think they'll probably get decent money back for him if it goes wrong, so in that sense it's not a terrible signing. But I don't think he's that great at football. All players have some bad and some good games but for some reason when mental players do it, everyone seems to think that the bad games are only because they're mental, and if you just get them under control they'll play at their best every week.

But what do you get from him? His goals record isn't great, especially considering how many were penalties. He's worse than useless when the other team have the ball, his total lack of movement makes him really awkward to play with and his passing etc isn't anything special either. And he gets sent off a lot.

He has insane composure, which is kind of the one upside of not giving a ****. Really his only role is off the bench when you need a goal in a big game, which in fairness he's brilliant at, but he's not very useful the rest of the time.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I don't know if I'd credit Rodgers for that. He's as highly-motivated as any player in the world, so getting him to perform on the pitch shouldn't ever be a problem. He tends to be very popular in dressing rooms too, considering he's a massive bastard.

The only real issue is stopping him getting bans for crazy ****, which Rodgers didn't do a great job of.
Eh, I said last season and well clearly he did do a good job of it given Suarez didn't miss a game iirc, once he came back from his ban

Agree about the getting him to perform bit mind you, and him becoming one of the best in the world over the past two years has been him coming into his peak rather than down to Rodgers. But he's obviously someone with 'white line syndrome' or whatever - as you say his team mates all love him, and every time I've read an interview with him they seem to have found him charming - but for me he behaved himself by and large last season, there were pretty much no Suarez incidents and that's the first time in a good while.

And then of course he went to the World Cup...

Uppercut

Surely that's a cherry-pick? Crediting Rodgers for keeping him quiet during the eight-month period between two massive bans.

I haven't checked but I'd guess that on the whole he spent more of his time at Liverpool suspended than he did at any of his previous clubs. He was always a tearaway but he wasn't so bad that we should consider only missing 9 matches a season a triumph of man-management.

cover drive man

International Captain
Surely that's a cherry-pick? Crediting Rodgers for keeping him quiet during the eight-month period between two massive bans.

I haven't checked but I'd guess that on the whole he spent more of his time at Liverpool suspended than he did at any of his previous clubs. He was always a tearaway but he wasn't so bad that we should consider only missing 9 matches a season a triumph of man-management.
It appears Rogers got it right in the end surely? Balotelli, Sturridge and Sterling, can't ****ing wait :D