• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2014-15

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I find the Gerrard stuff really weird. Seemed like the whole country creamed themselves over how great he was then he slipped once and he was suddenly the joke of the league and a terrible player.

Not sure how an earth you can decide that he's in terminal decline based on two games in a different set up when he was excellent for months at Liverpool. As Ikki said he was excellent today against a very high energy side who can be severe against midfielders whose best days are past them (Xabi Alonso).

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
In the first minute he made some sort of comment about last season being a good season for Arsenal but that it had been a while since they properly challenged for the title.

He must've slept for almost all of last season then.
He's been snoozing for most of his professional life, if his newspaper columns are anything to go by. I've still not forgiven him for the time he said Arsenal were a better side in the days when they had Petit playing in front of Sol Campbell. Berk.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah but it doesn't change the fact he was absolutely right about you not challenging for the title

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I love how he late he joined the "this year Arsenal won't make top four" bandwagon. The majority have moved on, even with an improved United and a good Liverpool.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Didn't he tip that last year?
Yeah. Can't think of another pundit who's tipped us outside top four since Özil signed (though some probably have), and he's done it twice.

What bugs me is it's the usual cliches. The defence is weak, the midfield don't defend, squad depth, etc.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Listening to him on commentary it's clear that despite being a top class forward in his day he knows absolutely **** all about football.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Listening to him on commentary it's clear that despite being a top class forward in his day he knows absolutely **** all about football.
Didn't his qualities just come through pace and shooting ability? Can't see why it would imply he'd know anything about anything.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Didn't his qualities just come through pace and shooting ability? Can't see why it would imply he'd know anything about anything.
You don't score as many goals as he did if they are your only abilities

97-06 Owen was an absolutely top notch footballer.

cpr

International Coach
People understate Owen's positional ability, he could pop up in the box and get goals at any time, was always a danger. Enough headed goals for a dwarf too thanks to being a yard or two ahead in his mind. Add to that the blistering pace and good shot and he really was a fantastic striker.

In fact, even when he was with us he still showed flashes of what made him so good, despite having no hamstrings. That winner against City, apart from being the greatest goal in the world, ever, was down to him reading the game, knowing Giggs could pick him out, and getting that extra yard in a crowded box.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
People understate Owen's positional ability, he could pop up in the box and get goals at any time, was always a danger. Enough headed goals for a dwarf too thanks to being a yard or two ahead in his mind. Add to that the blistering pace and good shot and he really was a fantastic striker.

In fact, even when he was with us he still showed flashes of what made him so good, despite having no hamstrings. That winner against City, apart from being the greatest goal in the world, ever, was down to him reading the game, knowing Giggs could pick him out, and getting that extra yard in a crowded box.
I was just thinking that same thing

Fair enough for cabinet to not appreciate how good he was though as he did only show the odd glimpse like that in the time he'd have been following footy, I guess

That really isn't meant to sound patronising btw :p

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Yeah, I never saw him at Liverpool so am really just basing it on what I've heard.

He did score the first ever goal I can remember though, v Brazil in 02.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Pele has a lot of, shall we say, curious opinions about the quality of footballers tbh. Though on Owen he might have a point. I think between 99 and 02 Owen was a fantastic player. Injuries did for him in the end, but at the same time I think this may to some extent mask the fact throughout his career the game moved on to a point where poacher-like strikers like him were no longer in fashion, and this may to some extent have contributed to why he was not especially effective after 2006. He was only ever truly effective when he had another forward alongside him to play off; I don't think a fully fit Owen would have enough about him to function as the sole striker in the systems that so many teams use these days.