• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2014-15

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Was Neville 96 really better than Neville 04?

Also, why did Southgate start? They should have just transplanted the Arsenal back four in. No way they'd have been able to make that good a defensive unit in a pre-tournament two-week training camp.
Even as a kid this always bugged me. I could never quite work out why Southgate was preferred to Keown. I guess Southgate was just the young, fashionable choice, and Arsenal weren't exactly great around that time.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Was Neville 96 really better than Neville 04?
He most certainly wasn't. That's my mistake, was meant to be the other way round.

Neville a better player at any given time with Beckham ahead of him anyway (and vice versa)

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well I don't think Comparing with now is particularly productive, as we've probably never had a worst defence.

Southgate, Meh for me, but I guess one of the many reasons others think the '96 side better than I do. Also Gazza was a pale shadow of what he was, brilliant moments but mostly immobile. Could pass the ball, and that was nice, unfortuneatly often couldn't do the pesky defending, particularly win headers. I'd probably prefer Lampard over him. Yet obviously man-for-man, not in the same ****ing side as Gerrard.

We've had this discussion about how incredibly average I think McManaman was. Oh and 04 Owen before the hamstrings, over a Shearer after his cruciate, thanks very much. But 1-1 whichever way you look at it probably fair with the Forwards because Sheare and Teddy the better partnership.

Yet It really must be the silly season if we are doing this one again. I don't think many peoples opinions are going to change.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Well I don't think Comparing with nowq is particularly productive, as we've probably never had a worst defence.

Southgate, Meh for me, but I guess one of the many reasons others think the '96 side better than I do. Also Gazza was a pale shadow of what he was, brilliant moments but mostly immobile. Could pass the ball, and that was nice, unfortuneatly often couldn't do the pesky defending, particularly win headers. I'd probably prefer Lampard over him. Yet obviously man-for-man, not in the same ****ing side as Gerrard.

We've had this discussion about how incredibly average I think McManaman was. Oh and 04 Owen before the hamstrings, over a Shearer after his cruciate, thanks very much. But 1-1 whichever way you look at it probably fair with the Forwards because Sheare and Teddy the better partnership.

Yet It really must be the silly season if we are doing this one again. I don't think many peoples opinions are going to change.
When was Shearer's cruciate? 97 wasn't it?

EDIt - 92. LOL. Ankle injury in 97

Last edited:

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
When was Shearer's cruciate? 97 wasn't it?

EDIt - 92. LOL. Ankle injury in 97
Yep ignore that TBH, too much Stella drunk at the time. Yeah hew was still good in 1996, it was the ankle that screwed him.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Well I don't think Comparing with now is particularly productive, as we've probably never had a worst defence.

Euro 96 was Gascoigne's last hurrah as a player really. Had a decent few months at the start of 96/97 then got an ankle injury in January 97 and was never the same player again. Mostly because he was a pisshead ****.

Rangers should've been investigated by the Serious Fraud Office for conning £3.5m out of Middlesbrough.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
(Thanks KP)

All my ratings refer to that specific point

Seaman > James

Neville 96 < Neville 04
Southgate < Terry
Adams > Campbell (not entirely convinced with this one for the respective point in their careers)
Pearce < Cole

Anderton < Beckham
Ince < Gerrard
Gascoigne > Lampard
McManaman < Scholes

Sheringham < Rooney
Shearer > Owen

The key for me is simply that the midfield in 04 has better players but the square peg round hole issue. IMHO. I agree that 96 is a better team but IMO 04 had better players, just.
Better playerd is irrelevant if they all play the same position.

I'm disputing Terry's rating, he was raw and a bit crap. England really missed Ferdinand at Euro 2004.

McManaman criminally under-rated as well. McManaman vs Beckham would be a lot more interesting comparison.

And Darren Anderton wasn't a regular, David Platt, the captain was. Who, internationally at least, played the 'arrive late in the box to score' midfield role better than any of the golden generation.

Also worth noting Platt spent his peak in Serie A which was the toughest league in the world bar none in the 1990s.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Euro 96 was Gascoigne's last hurrah as a player really. Had a decent few months at the start of 96/97 then got an ankle injury in January 97 and was never the same player again. Mostly because he was a pisshead ****.

Rangers should've been investigated by the Serious Fraud Office for conning £3.5m out of Middlesbrough.
Yeah, and then he got a spell at Everton a few years later. How he managed that when he had gone was beyond me. Hope that he isn't that last real world class midfielder I see in an England shirt.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
And Darren Anderton wasn't a regular, David Platt, the captain was. Who, internationally at least, played the 'arrive late in the box to score' midfield role better than any of the golden generation.
He played nearly every minute of Euro 96 tbh.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Better playerd is irrelevant if they all play the same position.

I'm disputing Terry's rating, he was raw and a bit crap. England really missed Ferdinand at Euro 2004.

McManaman criminally under-rated as well. McManaman vs Beckham would be a lot more interesting comparison.

Also worth noting Platt spent his peak in Serie A which was the toughest league in the world bar none in the 1990s.
I acknowledged that better player ultimately didn't matter...

Terry was class at Euro 04

Beckham and McManaman is not even remotely close. Get out of it.

Shearer was captain. Platt didn't start until the knockouts, though he did feature heavily then.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Arsenal's invincibles formation was a strange one really. It was far more than just the 4-4-2 it was often made out to be, but I'm not sure I would have it down as a 4-2-3-1 either. Bergkamp, Pires, and to some extent Henry seemed to just have a free role to go anywhere. Pires is always thought of as having played really high up the pitch for Arsenal as well, and whilst he certainly scored lots of goals and got loads of assists, he could often also be seen dropping really deep alongside Viera/Gilberto/Edu/Parlour and starting attacks from well within Arsenal's half.

I know he's highly rated and all, but to me he still doesn't get the recognition he deserves. Absolutely my favourite ever player bar none.
Yeah Pires was outstanding. Huge loss for France in 2002, particularly given his club form that season.

King Pietersen

International Captain
Yeah, Adams was captain. Platt started two games, one when Ince was suspended against Spain, and then against Germany. Almost set Anderton up for the winner against Germany too, in golden goal extra time, but Anderton hit the post, and we subsequently went out.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I acknowledged that better player ultimately didn't matter...

Terry was class at Euro 04

Beckham and McManaman is not even remotely close. Get out of it.

Shearer was captain. Platt didn't start until the knockouts, though he did feature heavily then.
I don't think the gap between Beckham and McManaman is anywhere near as pronounced as you're making out. McManaman was world class and for some reason largely wasted by England. Reckon he was born 10 years too early, I think he was still unfortunate enough to mostly play in an era where British managers hadn't quite learned to trust flair players.