• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2014-15

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
The penalty stat is exactly why I said it. He's been there, what, 5 years ish? That averages 8 a year. That is significant. I don't have stats for last season either but it's likely there was a few.

Strikers should be judged on far more than just statistics. Did you ever think Darren Bent was very good? Do you think Chicharito is particularly amazing? I heard not too long back that he has one of the top few goals per minute ratios in Premiership history, but he's correctly miles down the pecking order at United because he offers nothing else.

Besides even if goals and assists were the only relevant thing a striker ever had to do using one season's stats still isn't terribly informative because the variance in these stats is high enough that that one season is still a pretty small sample size.
You're forgetting the most important statistic of all though.

Club: Liverpool

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
The penalty stat is exactly why I said it. He's been there, what, 5 years ish? That averages 8 a year. That is significant. I don't have stats for last season either but it's likely there was a few.
I've read it's 6 for the last 2 seasons, that's not significant. Moreover, with regards to the stats I posted it's irrelevant. I'd have enough sense to not mention the pure goals/assists stats if I knew a player had for example 10/13 goals as penalties (i.e. Gerrard). 3 last season is nothing really.

Strikers should be judged on far more than just statistics. Did you ever think Darren Bent was very good? Do you think Chicharito is particularly amazing? I heard not too long back that he has one of the top few goals per minute ratios in Premiership history, but he's correctly miles down the pecking order at United because he offers nothing else.
Yes, but the onus is on you to make the argument why just a simple reflection on the goals and assists aren't good. Not to draw some generalised view that stats can be misleading. The irony is if I drew up a spreadsheet with a lot of intricate stats you'd make the other ****ing point; that I'm looking too much into it.

FTR, I think Bent is good for what he was; but not really a top notch CF at a club aspiring to win the league or get into the CL. I actually rate Hernandez, I think Moyes made a huge mistake this year not playing him more. He's limited, but he's a natural goal scorer. For instance, I'd love him for the same/similar reason Liverpool got Lambert. His per minutes stat isn't going to make me or anyone in a position of power replace Suarez with him.

And context matters - maybe I've given you too much credit in knowing what it is - but Liverpool signing a forward isn't a particularly pressing issue because we'd rather play Sturridge and Suarez as much as possible. But if you can get one for basically a pack of chips, that has Lambert's record, then it's a very good deal. He's not someone you build a team around, but to have him on your bench is a good thing; it provides needed depth in that position for any team in the league not from Manchester.

Besides even if goals and assists were the only relevant thing a striker ever had to do using one season's stats still isn't terribly informative because the variance in these stats is high enough that that one season is still a pretty small sample size.
The 3 players in question only have 2 seasons each in the EPL. Having a look at how they've affected goals, in the most important stats for their position, is relevant. Your spiel and added personal dig was unnecessary.

Oh, sorry. I thought we were arbitrarily making proclamations based on statistics, with a striking lack of supporting evidence.
Fail. If you're going to try to make that point, make one that's relevant. Even on just goals scored, Andy Johnson is not close to being one of the best EPL forwards of all time. There are midfielders with more goals than him.

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
If you're going to try to make that point, make one that's relevant. Even on just goals scored, Andy Johnson is not close to being one of the best EPL forwards of all time. There are midfielders with more goals than him.
You're overlooking the stats that I arbitrarily overlooked though. Sure, if you want to use actual evidence, of course you can show Andy Johnson wasn't that good. But that'd be inconvenient to the view I want to push.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
You're overlooking the stats that I arbitrarily overlooked though. Sure, if you want to use actual evidence, of course you can show Andy Johnson wasn't that good. But that'd be inconvenient to the view I want to push.
Nah, try again. If you're going to demean the stats I used by coming up with a nonsensical conclusion because you believe them to be arbitrary (lol goals and assists we're talking about here) then you need to do better.

P.S. You used to be a better troll.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Goal scoring stats are decent when comparing strikers, come on now

I'm no stat lovers but strikers score and create goals. If they're any good anyway.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Giroud: 16 goals, 8 assists
Podolski: 8 goals, 2 assists
Lambart: 13 goals, 10 assists

Not really that much of a difference, really - although I think Giroud's creative play better than the other two. I reckon people are underrating Lambert here. Won't have a long career but what he'll add for the next couple years is enough. Good in the air, good on the deck, technically pretty good and coming from Southampton he probably won't need a re-education on how to play the game.

Moreover, what he brings in terms of mentality - he is a huge Liverpool fan - will add to the squad's hunger. He's gonna give it his all out there and that positive approach tends to rub off on others.
Lambert with 3 pens and 2 direct FKs.
Podolski with 17 fewer appearances.

I think Lambert is pretty close to the perfect signing for you guys. He's a good player who offers you something a bit different whilst still being an actual footballer. I don't think there's much to be gained from pretending he's any better than he actually is though.

Jarquis

Nah, it's not. If you're comparing who you'd rather have as a backup striker and for whatever reason they weren't allowed to play elsewhere, I'd much rather Lambert.

Has Podolski even had a single good game up front for Arsenal? Ever?
Well you'd be silly IMO and West Ham away.

Jarquis

Lambert would probably be second choice at Arsenal because he's a better Giroud replacement than Podolski but in basically any other system or formation then he'd be behind both Walcott and Podoslki. Podolski's one of the best finishers in the leage (arguably the best tbph) but his movement is pretty lacking and so he's always so much better when playing alongside someone rather than alone, which is something Lambert is more adept at.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Lambert would probably be second choice at Arsenal because he's a better Giroud replacement than Podolski but in basically any other system or formation then he'd be behind both Walcott and Podoslki. Podolski's one of the best finishers in the leage (arguably the best tbph) but his movement is pretty lacking and so he's always so much better when playing alongside someone rather than alone, which is something Lambert is more adept at.
Yeah I agree with this, but it's almost exactly what Eds was getting at with the comment you called silly.

Jarquis

Yeah I agree with this, but it's almost exactly what Eds was getting at with the comment you called silly.
Well it's not - he was arguing, or at least the impression I got, that if you take out the fact that Podolski is an effective left winger then Lambert offers more as a striker. That's a much closer debate but I'd still have Podolski ahead because of what he offers when partnered with someone.

If you're comparing them as lone-strikers and that alone (heh), then I'd have no qualms with it being stated that Lambert is better - but that's not "not being allowed to play elsewhere" that's an issue of role/style rather than position.

Pothas

Anyway Bees making their first move of the summer with Judge making his loan permanent. Delighted with that, plan is to use last years squad with a few additions rather than massive changes but for that to work we really had to make at least a couple of the loans we had permanent. Of the 3 important ones we had this always looked the most likely but still hope we can grab one more.

Pothas

What's likely to happen with Trotta?
Not sure yet, still got a year left on his contract at Fulham but we don't know if he will be in their plans or not. I think he has talent but he is not a top level championship striker yet so I can't see him starting for them, would like him for sure but he is probably not worth spending the majority of our budget on. FFP could be a bit of a nightmare until the new stadium move happens.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
It'd be unspeakably awful. Even worse than him joining Man Utd.

It's a shame there seems to be no place for him back at Arsenal, as the idea of seeing him play for any other other Premiership side just feels so wrong to me. But to see him turn out for them, it'd honestly just hurt so badly.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I think it's madness that Barcelona are prepared to give up on him as well, quite frankly.