• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2014-15

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Well done Everton on a great result last night, pretty obvious they will be contenders again after that.

King Pietersen

International Captain
When Dunga inevitably gets sacked, will they go back to Scolari?

Well done Everton on a great result last night, pretty obvious they will be contenders again after that.
Funnily enough, we normally have a good season after a ****e pre-season. Wasn't exactly the First Team either;

First Half:
Joel, Browning, Garbutt, Duffy, Distin, Lundstram, Barry, Kennedy, Naismith, Pienaar, McAleny.

2nd:
Joel, Coleman, Stones, Alcaraz, Hibbert, McCarthy, Gibson, Osman, McGeady, Long, Hope

2nd half slightly better team, but hardly surprising that a defence that featured Alcaraz and Hibbert at left-back conceded twice. Nice to see Gibbo back though, been out for ages with a nasty injury, so good to see him back on the park.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
LVG has seemingly made a few complaints about all the commercial and other responsibilities he has. Just shows how amazingly hands-on Fergie was. I genuinely wonder if they'll bring in someone else to do this, so Van Gaal (and future managers) can concentrate on football.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
When Dunga inevitably gets sacked, will they go back to Scolari?

Funnily enough, we normally have a good season after a ****e pre-season. Wasn't exactly the First Team either;

First Half:
Joel, Browning, Garbutt, Duffy, Distin, Lundstram, Barry, Kennedy, Naismith, Pienaar, McAleny.

2nd:
Joel, Coleman, Stones, Alcaraz, Hibbert, McCarthy, Gibson, Osman, McGeady, Long, Hope

2nd half slightly better team, but hardly surprising that a defence that featured Alcaraz and Hibbert at left-back conceded twice. Nice to see Gibbo back though, been out for ages with a nasty injury, so good to see him back on the park.
You do know we are in league 2 right :p

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Saw an article with the cost of a possible 11 for Real and it's staggering to think how you compete with that sort of spending. Obviously it's about team play and not individuals but who can spend like that other than sugar daddy teams.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Saw an article with the cost of a possible 11 for Real and it's staggering to think how you compete with that sort of spending. Obviously it's about team play and not individuals but who can spend like that other than sugar daddy teams.
There are very few teams, comparatively speaking, that can be considered true "Sugar Daddy teams" though.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I'd say there are tbh, or at least clubs with that sort of money. City, Chelsea, Madrid, Monaco and PSG, plus clubs like Barca, Bayern, United and Arsenal who are just rich without the needs of rich owners etc.

Of those who got to the Champions League quarters only Atletico and to an extend Dortmund are clubs you wouldn't consider super rich and most of them have or will have sustained success over a long time because of how rich they are.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah, I was just referring to Clubs who were reliant on one super rich owner/backer tbh.

Last edited:

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Sugar daddy clubs are only reliant on one owner and FFP for a few years maximum though. Once they're in the CL and start winnings things they're part of the furniture.

Last edited:

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
United has a massive debt that people like to forget about. Before Moyes our spending under Glazier has been low. I was thinking that really only City and Chelsea can afford the ridiculous numbers that RM deals in.

cpr

International Coach
Our debt is a strange one in that yes its big, but its not an impediment on the club. We still rake in silly money, and could easily pay off the debt in a short space of time - however unlike most peoples debts its not in the owners interest to pay it off in advance (after all, they aren't suffering the repayment or interest, the club is). I look at it akin to me getting a buy to let mortgage on a house, using the monthly rental to pay the mortgage - costs me nothing, and if i sell it down the line for more I'll pay off the remainder and be quids in.

Spending under the Glazers has been low because Ferguson didn't want to spend lots - however it was there when he wanted it - £80m in 2007 on Hargreaves, Nani, Anderson and Tevez, £30m on Berbatov in 08, then £25m on 3 unproven players in Smalling, Hernandez and Bebe in 10. 2011 saw £50m+ on Young, De Gea and Jones. Fergie always said he had a war chest readily available should he want it.

Dont forget in the last 12 months we've spent nigh on £100m on Fellani, Mata, Herrera and Shaw, with more to come.

When Woodwood comes out and says Utd can compete with the big teams on spending, I believe him.