• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2014-15

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Is Terry the best CB in the Premier League era? As much as I want to punch the ****, yeah I think he definitely is.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Is Terry the best CB in the Premier League era? As much as I want to punch the ****, yeah I think he definitely is.
Best English one anyway.

Jaap Stam was pretty awesome in his time at United but would longevity count in Terry's favour?

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
IMO these are the kinds of seasons you need to have to put a lot of stock on longevity. He isn't simply just very good for his age; he was arguably the best CB in the EPL this season.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Just read that Greavesie is in intensive care after a stroke. Hope he makes a swift and full recovery.
He just turned up to a speaking event at Exeter a week ago. Yeah wish him well.

On a happier note Gimp we need a midfielder, is this Max Power any good, ill-wind that blows no good I say.

Last edited:

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Reckon Chelsea CBs get an easy ride. You don't have to do much when you finish games with Matic, Zouma and Mikel as your midfield. Gary Cahill got TOTY ffs.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Reckon Chelsea CBs get an easy ride. You don't have to do much when you finish games with Matic, Zouma and Mikel as your midfield. Gary Cahill got TOTY ffs.
Mad because Koscielny didn't get in? :ph34r:

Also laughed at Mourinho's comments; clearly taking shots at Pep for going to an 'easier' destination.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Goal.com ran a poll of Buffon vs Casillas and the comments are flooded with people saying Casillas is better. Obviously, goal.com comments are bottom of the barrell but I don't even think it's up for debate. It's gotta be Buffon by miles, right. Casillas isn't even on the same plane. Dude has always been overrated as ****.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Goal.com ran a poll of Buffon vs Casillas and the comments are flooded with people saying Casillas is better. Obviously, goal.com comments are bottom of the barrell but I don't even think it's up for debate. It's gotta be Buffon by miles, right. Casillas isn't even on the same plane. Dude has always been overrated as ****.
No doubt. Buffon was a human wall for a decade. Casillas has spent the last decade missing crosses and throwing the ball in his own net.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Mad because Koscielny didn't get in? :ph34r:

Also laughed at Mourinho's comments; clearly taking shots at Pep for going to an 'easier' destination.
I was last season. His season this year was pretty much a write off until January with injury, so he was never going to get in. I definitely think he has it harder than Terry though, and Terry would really struggle in his place, and I think that's the same for most top sides.

Tbf to Pep he was a bit unlucky with his choice of destination. The only thing Bayern were Champions of in January 2013 was a national Supercup, they weren't even the clear cut best side in Germany, yet alone Europe. He should obviously come to Arsenal next to battle Mourinho/Chelsea again though. :ph34r:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I was last season. His season this year was pretty much a write off until January with injury, so he was never going to get in. I definitely think he has it harder than Terry though, and Terry would really struggle in his place, and I think that's the same for most top sides.

Tbf to Pep he was a bit unlucky with his choice of destination. The only thing Bayern were Champions of in January 2013 was a national Supercup, they weren't even the clear cut best side in Germany, yet alone Europe. He should obviously come to Arsenal next to battle Mourinho/Chelsea again though. :ph34r:
lolling at Mourinho having the cheek to slate anyone for going to an 'easy' destination when he had to go crawling back to Chelsea after his failure in Madrid.

Also lolling at anyone calling Bayern an 'easy' job. Guardiola took over a club at their peak; he's had to maintain that peak whilst also completely re-inventing how they play. It's the same muppets who also deride him for having it 'easy' at Barcelona on the basis of his squad whilst ignoring Guardiola's role in developing that squad.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente

I'm not sure if that's an especially valid reason for eschewing any good performances he's had tbf. Chelsea are a side that is clearly set up to play to Terry's strengths. I'm not sure saying "he'd do worse if he was playing for a side that didn't set up in this way" is really a particularly convincing criticism. Or at least, if it is, it would be broadly applicable to loads of players.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yeah, it's a hallmark of a good coach to recognise his players' particular strengths and play to them. Terry was utterly useless under AVB but that's hard to hold against Terry particularly, as playing a high line with a defender like Terry is ****ing stupid.

He would be hopeless in a Guardiola team but there's more than one way to skin a cat; he'd be amongst the first defenders I'd consider if I wanted to play negative anti-football like Mourinho.