• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2014-15

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It'd certainly be a start.

That Plymouth keeper (whose name escapes me) who ploughed into the back of another car whilst bladdered, killing two kiddies, held his hands up and was re-hired relatively social media furore-free when he was released.

If Evans had made a proper mea culpa and offered to make a sizeable donation to a rape crisis charity on his release I think we'd have seen a very different reaction.

By every account I've read the victim in this has had her life ruined (even to the point pf having to change her identity) and there's a still extant "Ched Evans is innocent" website that is pretty hideous reading (not that I'd dignify it with a visit).
Yes the social media campaign is clearly something he should have done something about, and has his mum and girlfriend seem heavily involved, you can only think he knew all about it. He finally mentioned it in that statement, but that's really been a long time coming.

Anyone that comments negatively on Twitter about Evans will get targeted by people saying similar to that idjit Bruce. "look into the case". I don't need to myself, the CPS and a jury of my peers spent a long time doing it, thanks all the same.

It reminds you of the right-wingers on twitter that keep on saying we need to remember history about various things, yet their history comes distorted through some idiotic sources and websites full of Confirmation bias.

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Amazed any club would think it is a good idea and the fans will be happy with it if they signed Evans. Even if you struggling for goals and in a relegation battle i'd rather my team went down than employed him.

fredfertang

Amazed any club would think it is a good idea and the fans will be happy with it if they signed Evans. Even if you struggling for goals and in a relegation battle i'd rather my team went down than employed him.
I certainly wouldn't want Reading to sign him, which I suppose makes me guilty of having double standards, but he's clearly a deeply unpleasant human being, so I'm not going to lose any sleep over any apparent hypocrisy

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You undoubtedly express the view of the majority - would you have a different opinion if on release he had shown real contrition and remorse? and if not what if he had done so at the outset and pleaded guilty?
I think I would, yes. There would be a very clear public benefit to Evans coming out and saying: rape doesn't have to be in a dark alley at knife point, failure to say no doesn't mean consent, what I did had the potential to ruin someone's life, and if I'd understood the issue properly at the time it would never have happened. I would have no choice but to respect that. Even something falling short of the best-case scenario might change my view. At the very least he could not tacitly approve the victim being harassed.

grecian

I think I would, yes. There would be a very clear public benefit to Evans coming out and saying: rape doesn't have to be in a dark alley at knife point, failure to say no doesn't mean consent, what I did had the potential to ruin someone's life, and if I'd understood the issue properly at the time it would never have happened. I would have no choice but to respect that. Even something falling short of the best-case scenario might change my view. At the very least he could not tacitly approve the victim being harassed.
Well this will remain the key point for me, in the end even if his view of things were correct, and she was just incredibly drunk, he ploughed on through, and she regretted a drunken consent in the morning, then that's no reason to paint her as the utterly evil harlot to poor Ched Evan's victimhood.

If he'd, as you just said, said, I was wrong, should have shown restraint, because of her state, I'll take my sentence, then I think it would have largely gone away.

One wonders whether his mother and girlfriend's desire to paint this woman as a horrible slut has played a big part in it. They clearly want to minimise in their own eyes Evan's despicable behaviour, by shifting it on to her, and he may have gone along with it. It's not helped him in any way.

fredfertang

Greg Dyke apparently believes the law needs to be changed to allow the FA to ban footballer offenders themselves - I don't feel comfortable with that, but I think perhaps the time has come for the law relating to *** Offender Prevention Orders to be changed to allow judges to take steps to restrict offenders post release freedom more than they currently do, and indeed extend those powers beyond *** offences - I'm a great believer in rehabilitation and I remain unconvinced that Evans should not be permitted to play again (although you guys have made me think I may be wrong on that) but the question I was asked earlier this afternoon as to whether a convicted drug trafficker should be allowed to play professional football did rather stop me in my tracks

grecian

I don't much like Pardew, but for some reason Palace are a team I don't hate, and Spurs are just emminently laughable at for their pretensions, so this is fun:D

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Apparently thirteen teams have made the top four in the Prem since its inception.

Spotters points for anyone who can name them all (no Googling).

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Only got eight, only one of which more than 10 years ago. Poor effort.

Edit: Missed a couple of obvious ones I probably could've got if I'd given it more time. Couple I'd never have guessed though.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Man City, Liverpool, chavs, Arsenal, Man U, Tottenham, Everton, Newcastle, Aston Villa, Norwich, Sheffield Wednesday, Blackburn, Ipswich

havent checked. Certain on eleven, 95% on one and 50-50 on another

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Yeah, together you've got them all:

Man Utd (21 times)
Arsenal (19)
Chelsea (13)
Liverpool (13)
Newcastle (5)
Man City (4)
Blackburn (3)
Leeds (3)
Spurs (2)
Villa (2)
Everton (1)
Forest (1)
Norwich (1)

santhosh683

Cricket Spectator
Both footbal and cricket have a same fans in our world. Because, whenever match started people are eagarly have interest on both.