• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2014-15

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Then why doesn't he just replace Alonso at RM (who's been pretty poor in recent months)? He's leaving because he's not at the Kroos/Modric /QUOTE]

You could say the same about Sanchez and Barcelona if you really wanted, it's Real and Barcelona, normal logic does not apply.

Find it hard believe after all these years of not spending that an Arsenal fan would not be delighted at the idea of getting a player as good as Khedira. Sure if he was your only buy of the summer but you just bought Sanchez.

Jarquis

I don't get why a player has to be 'one or the other' either. Cabinet seems to be under the impression he'd compete for the 'Ramsey and Wilshere slot' and have no impact on the 'Arteta and Flamini' one. It gives us an extra option of genuine quality for those midfield slots and different players will play differently together there. Players don't have default settings that mean they play a certain way depending solely on which position you give them out of 'RCM' and 'LCM' or whatever. I don't see a reason why Ramsey and Khedira couldn't be ****ing amazing, even if it does involve Ramsey playing a little differently to how he would alongside MA/MF.

It doesn't really seem to apply anywhere else. We just signed Sanchez and everyone is lauding over the versatility it gives us and the potential combinations of the attacking front four but when it comes to a CM partnership one of the two absolutely has to be the attacking minded player and the other the defensive. If you've got two relative B2B players then all it takes is some communication and game intelligence and it's fine - when one goes the other stays. It's literally twice as hard to play against too as you're not just tracking Ramsey from deep, you're also tracking Khedira too. I dunno, obviously you risk taking away some of what made Ramsey quite so amazing across the last 18 months but there's no reason the team can't benefit as a whole. It'd take some extra work on Ramsey's part too - defensive ability is clearly there (tackles and interceptions were through the roof last year as well as goals and assists iirc) - but that's the same with creating any new CM partnership.

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah, quite frankly I don't think one should complain about Arsenal potentially buying another bona fide world class player tbh.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
And there's also no way signing another midfielder will signal the death knell for Wilshere at Arsenal. No chance whatsoever.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
No but him being **** might

:ph34r:
Haha, this is about 100% right tbh. The only way Wilshere will flop is if he's no good or gets ruined by injuries. He's going to play, there's no question of that, he and Ramsey are Wenger's darlings. He just has to make the most of it when he gets the chance.

Last edited:

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Will miss Suarez something massive, but it was time for him to go. Hopefully the money is re-invested wisely. *sigh*

King Pietersen

International Captain
United have signed a £750m 10-year deal with Adidas for their kit. That's a ridiculous deal. Highest previous deal was Real Madrid's £31m a year deal, so this blows that out of the water. Chevrolet paying £53m a year to have their logo on Uniteds shirt too. United making stupid money from their kit, £128m a year from Kit sponsors is just crazy.

Last edited:

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Yeah it really sucks. Was really excited by our £30 million a year deal with Puma and now they have 2.5 times a year as much....

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Shrewsbury sign Andy Robbo

Will be a great signing if he gets fit. Will be sad to see him line up against us

Pothas

Tom Halsey

International Coach
I really think the 11/2 on United to win the title is beginning to look tasty. Vidal really does seem to be signing (he is 1/6 to sign for us with most bookies) and if he does we have a really good front six, goalkeeper and a competent manager again. Still worries about the defence but firstly we have won several titles without a defence including the last one and secondly we are giving off the feeling that we are not done in the transfer market yet. Think Chelsea are rightly favourites but I think we win the title more than the 1 in 6.5 times needed for the bet to turn a profit.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Early thoughts on the seasons top seven?

1. Chelsea
2. Man City
3. Arsenal
4. Man United
5. Liverpool
6. Tottenham
7. Everton

I think it might be a bit of a dogfight between those placed 3rd to 5th to get in the Champions League, but I can't see either of Spurs or Everton surpassing what will probably be a clear top five this season. Liverpool losing Saurez and having to play a minimum (and likely more) extra six games is why I think they'll drop. I kind of fancy Chelsea if they get Luis. Weren't great last year but still managed to beat all the good teams and with a bit more quality - and a core of Courtois, Luis, Fabregas and Costa is a serious improvement - they should be more consistent against the rest, and be able to breakdown sides who sit against them. Their transfer dealings under Mourinho so far have been stella (and fortunate) and they have no weak link now - not even an area of moderate ability by Champions League standards tbh.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I really think the 11/2 on United to win the title is beginning to look tasty. Vidal really does seem to be signing (he is 1/6 to sign for us with most bookies) and if he does we have a really good front six, goalkeeper and a competent manager again. Still worries about the defence but firstly we have won several titles without a defence including the last one and secondly we are giving off the feeling that we are not done in the transfer market yet. Think Chelsea are rightly favourites but I think we win the title more than the 1 in 6.5 times needed for the bet to turn a profit.
I'm not fully convinced Vidal would be an amazing signing. Serie A imports have a very, very low success rate.

I think the CBs are still too bad for United to have a shot at the title. Sure we did it in 2013 but Vidic and Ferdinand have since left and the other teams have improved. I definitely wouldn't touch 11/2. But I am fairly confident we'll finish above Liverpool, which I'll take.

Last edited:

Eds

International Debutant
How can you be confident when none of us really know what Liverpool's squad is going to look like? Reports suggesting all of the Suarez money will be spent on new players. Defense likely to completely change and we're also supposedly looking for a game-changing attacker, too.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
I'm not fully convinced Vidal would be an amazing signing. Serie A imports have a very, very low success rate.

I think the CBs are still too bad for United to have a shot at the title. Sure we did it in 2013 but Vidic and Ferdinand have since left and the other teams have improved. I definitely wouldn't touch 11/2. But I am fairly confident we'll finish above Liverpool, which I'll take.
Vidal has been a success in more than just Serie A, though, so he isn't solely a Serie A import. As an aside I'm not sure their success rate is lower than many other leagues. There has been far fewer Italian players in the Premiership than there have been from most other major nations in the past few years in any case.

Regarding the defence, if we don't sign anyone else I would agree with you, but I am hopeful we will do. The 2013 versions of Vidic and Ferdinand are not big misses. I obviously think we are still behind City and Chelsea and would be even with an additional centre-half and assuming Vidal signs, but at 11/2 it really doesn't have to happen very often.

Pothas

How can you be confident when none of us really know what Liverpool's squad is going to look like? Reports suggesting all of the Suarez money will be spent on new players. Defense likely to completely change and we're also supposedly looking for a game-changing attacker, too.
Could easily see them doing a Spurs with it though, should be looking at buying 2 or 3 really good players rather than lots of them.