• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2014-15

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Haha yeah, that one Rooney took against Arsenal a few years ago was lolbad. Just hoofed it over the bar. Did a really strange run up as well iirc.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Messi's penalty record is pretty average fwiw, Ronaldo has missed some crucial pens in his career as well although I don't know his overall record. It's a silly point imo.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
So Andrew Mangan(arseblogger) and Hames McNicholas (gunnerblog) both employed by ESPN? Damn, living the dream.
A lot of the stats bloggers of the last few years are actually working at some of the top clubs in Europe.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Tbf, I don't actually know any others that have been. I think it's something that will probably start to happen in the future rather than something that's already happened.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Shearer and Van Nistelrooy the best penalty takers I can recall watching. Both tended to favour the, head down over the ball, smash it into the corner/roof of the net technique. Definitely the best way to do it for mine. The chipped penalty that Henry used to do seems to have gone out of fashion a bit.
Gaitzka Mendieta and Mario Balotelli are probably the top two that I've seen. Both have/had the 'dummy the keeper then casually roll it in' penalty down to a t.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Gervinho is on it tonight. Fly, you terribly hairstyled warrior.

PS: Why couldn't you play like this for Arsenal? ****

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
On the subject of penalties, I wonder who the keepers with the highest percentage of saved penalties are. Is that a tracked stat?

It's funny how some good strikers aren't necessarily great at penalties, and I wonder if the reverse is almost true of goalkeepers (i.e. that poor keepers are occasionally excellent penlaty-savers). I seem to remember that Almunia saved loads of penalties in his Arsenal days, for instance.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Handanovic saved five in a row this season before (Ironically) Rooney scored past him a few weeks back. Think he must be up there.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Credit to City. Looked impossible after 2 points from the first 4. Decent way to do it with that Nasri goal as well.