• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2014-15

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Eh, I actually think Liverpool will be contenders again. The younger players will mature and be that much more ready and the whole squad will be really hungry to go that final step. On the whole, there's not much that happened last year that can't be replicated to a great extent and there is a whole lot to improve on defensively. Which I think we will, as I don't agree that a feature of our attacking game was defending like that...that just excused piss-poor defending rather than a systemic problem being the cause.

Will be an exciting season in any case. Everybody is gonna spend big.

It wasn't their midfield that caused the defensive problems. In fact almost the opposite
Yeah, this. From the midfielders to the forwards, they ran their asses off pressing and winning balls back. The defenders had gone to sleep or plain ****ed up too many times for any decent EPL level defender.

Last edited:

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Would be more than content with back-to-back Champions League seasons. Rodgers re-signing is the best deal we'll do all summer.

Eds

International Debutant
Much smaller squad but if Lambert is a suggestion as to the back-up they're bringing in then they'll be needing Suarez and Sturridge to play very game.
Lambert's fantastic backup though. Particularly with our squad composition.

Eds

International Debutant
None of the other title challengers would even contemplate signing him as back-up.
Well he'd be Arsenal & Chelsea's second best striker, as of right now.

He was more than good enough to start for the team who came 8th. So to be the 3rd choice striker for a title-challenging side isn't exactly much of a stretch.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pretty sure he was joking.

Well, I hope so anyway.
He needs strikers and he isn't a bad one but all the talk about Carroll was that he was got rid of as he didn't suit Brenda's style. Now he signs a similar player 12 months on who may only have another 12 months left at the top. Doubt he will play much anyway if Sturridge and Suarez stay fit.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Chelsea signed Demba Ba, similar quality player at a similar standard of club.
Not under the present manager they didn't though. He's made it quite clear he'll be getting new men in up front, and they'll be a lot better players than Lambert.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
None of the other title challengers would even contemplate signing him as back-up.
Well he'd be Arsenal & Chelsea's second best striker, as of right now.

He was more than good enough to start for the team who came 8th. So to be the 3rd choice striker for a title-challenging side isn't exactly much of a stretch.
:unsure:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, nah.
Haha it's just a stereotype isn't it? Larger than average, English strikers at mid-table teams, they must be basically the same player. It's not like anyone watches much of West Ham or Southampton anyway.

Not under the present manager they didn't though. He's made it quite clear he'll be getting new men in up front, and they'll be a lot better players than Lambert.
What is this even supposed to show? Chelsea and Arsenal won't sign him because they already have backup-quality strikers and need some very good ones. Liverpool already have two very good strikers and only need to sign backup-quality ones. All of Citeh's strikers cost £20m+, they've been hit with a FFP fine as a result and Lambert would have contributed at least as much as Jovetic last season at a fraction of the cost.

I don't understand what they have to lose by paying a few million for Lambert. It's an almost identical move to United signing Teddy Sheringham, a very similar player, and that worked out great. You seem to think it's some kind of disastrous balls-up just because he isn't Diego Costa.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Lambert isn't that good but isn't that bad either. I reckon if you were to list every Premiership striker in order of ability he would come out almost dead in the middle. Given the fee it represents very little risk and can't really hurt. He could be useful.

On the other hand given what I've heard of Liverpool's transfer targets I don't see how they are rectifying their most glaring problems from last year at all. Every name I've heard seriously linked (apart from Fabregas, but I'm not sure how seriously to take that just yet) isn't actually an improvement on their first choice XI from last season. I mean it's pretty obvious that a complete defensive overhaul is a more pressing priority than a backup striker. Admittedly it's possible I'm missing or haven't seen some players they are linked with though obviously.