Page 19 of 215 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969119 ... LastLast
Like Tree329Likes

Thread: *Official* English Football Season 2014-15

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Halsey View Post
    United are just hard to predict I think. It's one of those occasions where I think United are correctly a shorter price than Liverpool to win the title, but if we were to have a straight bet on who will finish higher out of United and Liverpool then Liverpool should probably be slight favourites. United could conceivably come anywhere from 1st-7th IMO, although either extreme would certainly be surprising.
    I hate to tempt fate but there's no way in hell you're coming 1st and it's more likely you'd come 7th than 1st. At least far more likely that you'd be closer to 7th than 1st. If United get 4th, LVG has done great IMO. I'd also say the opposite is true in that I think it's more likely that United could finish above Liverpool (season past being an outlier) than winning the title from 7th to 1st. In the premier league era, that's just not happening. I was saying last season that if Liverpool had done it, it would be the greatest win in EPL history. I'd say the same if United managed it.

As for the players you mentioned; well if they're going to be starting in the first XI I think you're having problems anyway. In a way, you need to have a high turnover of players. 3-4 in a new first XI is quite a bit of a change and I can see you'd probably need a new CB pairing, a new central midfielder and probably a new winger/attacking midfielder.
    Last edited by Ikki; 23-06-2014 at 04:40 AM.

International Coach
    Again though, the players I mentioned all played a reasonable amount of time in the title winning season. They seemed to be good enough the last time they had a competent manager. Admittedly we won the title that season based on scoring one more than the opposition scored, but then on that front all the attacking players from that season are still here also, and the defence still conceded less goals than Liverpool did last season, for instance.

People underrate United's squad now. They were managed by David Moyes, of course they didn't look great last season. Going back and reading the opening pages of the 13/14 thread on here makes amusing reading now. but it provides a more accurate reflection of our squad IMO because there was no Moyes season to distort the picture. Basically everyone was saying our squad was good.

It's drifting from the original point I was making that Liverpool are very unlikely to win the league anyway. I don't disagree at all that United are also unlikely to win the league and 6/1 obviously shows that. But Liverpool are less likely and I don't think anyone in their right mind would turn down Real Madrid to stay there.
    MSN - tomhalsey123@hotmail.com

Manchester United FC: 20 Times

R.I.P. Sledger's Signature, 2004-2008

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikki View Post
    For Real to break the transfer record 2 seasons running is a bit much in that current Spanish economy too.
    You can almost hear the sound of straws being clutched.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Again though, the players I mentioned all played a reasonable amount of time in the title winning season. They seemed to be good enough the last time they had a competent manager. Admittedly we won the title that season based on scoring one more than the opposition scored, but then on that front all the attacking players from that season are still here also, and the defence still conceded less goals than Liverpool did last season, for instance.

People underrate United's squad now. They were managed by David Moyes, of course they didn't look great last season. Going back and reading the opening pages of the 13/14 thread on here makes amusing reading now. but it provides a more accurate reflection of our squad IMO because there was no Moyes season to distort the picture. Basically everyone was saying our squad was good.

It's drifting from the original point I was making that Liverpool are very unlikely to win the league anyway. I don't disagree at all that United are also unlikely to win the league and 6/1 obviously shows that. But Liverpool are less likely and I don't think anyone in their right mind would turn down Real Madrid to stay there.
    But more importantly, United failing to win the title 2 seasons in a row is highly unlikely given the current strength of the Manchester economy.
    Tom Halsey likes this.

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    Quality stooping there, urgh.

Think it's likely Suarez will stay on for one more season myself, but regardless, we better get Bale-money when he does leave, haha.
    Jesus saves

member of Liverpool FC and Melbourne City

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Yeah can't see them putting a 67m clause, you'd have thought they wanted higher.
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

United more chance than Liverpool? Nonsense. Anything is possible in football, but it's not about just a competent manager taking over. It's a manager that's never managed in England, taking over a team that's just come 7th, who'll be bedding in new players and bringing about his style of football. For that to click in one year is next to never happening. Liverpool at least just came 2nd and were in the title race until the last game. Who're in the CL, can attract better players, and have more money to do so. If United win the league next year it'll be quite a shock, if Liverpool does it it is more or less a logical progression for how they've improved.

What you're saying about United is also something Liverpool fans went through, we still thought the team was capable of coming top 4 at least after the title challenge in 08/09 as it was still mostly the same players that challenged that year and who got the #1 ranking in Europe. But when the bottom falls out it's hard to put it together again. That resilient mentality that a team builds is eroded, irrespective of the quality. And frankly, while I've tended to think Jones, Evans and Smalling are better than they're portrayed in the media; they're not starters in a title winning side (one of them with a top class CB, sure). Again, anything is possible; LVG can be a magician, he's done it before, and he's not dealing with League One players by any stretch; but if you're putting money on it for all these things to come together is just farfetched. I can see United even leading the league by January but no matter the permutation they'll probably be fighting for CL spots more than anything by the end.

As for Real; it's not about Suarez choosing Liverpool over them. For Latin players that club is seen as the pinnacle. But the impression gotten so far is that it's unlikely to happen this season. I think the biggest giveaway about the recent transfer news is that they're citing 67m...last year we wouldn't have taken 50, after the season Suarez has had I don't think they signed a new contract for just 17m if that was the reason to put a clause in. It'll likely be the transfer record or near it. Other than that, it doesn't make sense.

Having said all that I've probably put the whammy in terms of jinx on Liverpool - getting relegated and United winning the title
    Last edited by Ikki; 23-06-2014 at 05:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post
    Quality stooping there, urgh.

Think it's likely Suarez will stay on for one more season myself, but regardless, we better get Bale-money when he does leave, haha.
    A lot of it is United fans projecting haha, they're hoping he leaves. But to be honest I think we'll do fine without him, we have done last year and having Sturridge makes the blow softer. Which is not to say that Suarez isn't important; he is fantastically so and brings us to the next level but I think we can plan around his departure with the money he brings and the real key to this team is Rodgers, more than anyone.

International Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikki View Post
    United more chance than Liverpool? Nonsense. Anything is possible in football, but it's not about just a competent manager taking over. It's a manager that's never managed in England, taking over a team that's just come 7th, who'll be bedding in new players and bringing about his style of football. For that to click in one year is next to never happening. Liverpool at least just came 2nd and were in the title race until the last game. Who're in the CL, can attract better players, and have more money to do so. If United win the league next year it'll be quite a shock, if Liverpool does it it is more or less a logical progression for how they've improved.

What you're saying about United is also something Liverpool fans went through, we still thought the team was capable of coming top 4 at least after the title challenge in 08/09 as it was still mostly the same players that challenged that year and who got the #1 ranking in Europe. But when the bottom falls out it's hard to put it together again. That resilient mentality that a team builds is eroded, irrespective of the quality. And frankly, while I've tended to think Jones, Evans and Smalling are better than they're portrayed in the media; they're not starters in a title winning side (one of them with a top class CB, sure). Again, anything is possible; LVG can be a magician, he's done it before, and he's not dealing with League One players by any stretch; but if you're putting money on it for all these things to come together is just farfetched. I can see United even leading the league by January but no matter the permutation they'll probably be fighting for CL spots more than anything by the end.
    I don't know how I got into this tbh. I just made a statement of fact - Liverpool are fourth favourites for the title. Disagree with the bookies if you like, but there it is.

If Liverpool actually were any more than a 1 in 8 chance to win the league, fwiw, a load of sharps would currently be piling on them and forcing the price below 7/1, but I don't see it happening.

Regarding the Suarez talk simply being a load of United fans hoping he leaves, firstly I doubt any of us are that bothered really, and secondly it seems slightly rich after the point about the Spanish economy which has yet to have any correlation with Real Madrid's spending.
    Last edited by Tom Halsey; 23-06-2014 at 06:06 PM.

Reports everywhere this morning that United are on the verge (again) of signing Herrera from Bilbao. An interesting development after the megalolz of deadline day last year.

Apparently he's something called a "central midfielder" which I'm assuming is a newly invented thing.
    Nate likes this.
    Member of the Twenty20 is Boring Society

Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    C'mon Man U.
    RIP Craigos

International Coach
    Haha yeah I'm really happy with this if true.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    I would be stunned if United don't finish ahead of Liverpool this season. Fully expect them to be challenging for the league.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Nah look, it's Liverpool's year.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Personally feel Liverpool have a much better side.

Be interesting to see what FIFA do about Suarez

Evidence looks pretty damning and they do have the power to rub him out of all football

I don't think anyone could complain too much if they banned him for 6 months or more

Thread Information