Page 18 of 161 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868118 ... LastLast
Like Tree234Likes

Thread: *Official* English Football Season 2014-15

International Vice-Captain King Pietersen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    What is this logic based on? As others have said, he would have been off last year had his lawyers not made a meal of things.
    Just a gut feeling. He's a massive fan favourite now at Anfield, and after coming so close to winning the title last year, I can see him wanting one more go at winning the Premier League with Liverpool. He might end up going, but I don't see it happening. We'll wait and see, but I can see him still being a Liverpool player come September.
    www.proudtofight.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cricinfo
    Styris to Pietersen, SIX, wow, what a shot, that is awesome...it's a repeat of his six off Muralitharan at Edgbaston, as he switches his grip and reverse-hits Styris over deep cover (or should that be deep square-leg) for a memorable maximum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cricinfo
    Styris to Pietersen, SIX, that's the most extraordinary shot, he switches his grip to that of a left-hander and launches Stryis high over long-off for a might six. That is one of the more incredible shots you'll see

Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Standard procedure when appealing non-criminal penalties as I understand things.

Don't get me wrong, it absolutely sucks, but nature of the beast and all that.
    Could they really not have sorted it out the appeal in the two and a half months before the window was due to open? How long would it realistically take to deal with it?

To me it just seems weak as piss. They put a foot down and then lifted it because Barca said please.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    This English top three are cornflakes. They're not the most exciting thing out but they're pretty effective. Then the middle order are the sugar. Would be too much on their own but added to the cornflakes they add some much needed interest

When KP returns he will be the banana..

Always happens. Chelsea had something not that different once didn't they?

One of the only things I hate about this World Cup is the amount of Chelsea players that are on loan somewhere that are playing.

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabinet96 View Post
    Could they really not have sorted it out the appeal in the two and a half months before the window was due to open? How long would it realistically take to deal with it?

To me it just seems weak as piss. They put a foot down and then lifted it because Barca said please.
    Barca would just argue that they needed X amount of months to put a case together and so on, which they probably would tbf. As a general rule sanctions imposed by supranational bodies (like UEFA) are appealed and cross-appealed for months and months on end. It's not strictly relevant, but as an example when the European Court of Justice makes a ruling against a member state for not implementing the law properly, or a private company (most frequently Google, these days) for not respecting the law in place, the entire process from the case going to court to the court's judgment being implemented or successfully appealed is often years rather than months.

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by King Pietersen View Post
    Just a gut feeling. He's a massive fan favourite now at Anfield, and after coming so close to winning the title last year, I can see him wanting one more go at winning the Premier League with Liverpool. He might end up going, but I don't see it happening. We'll wait and see, but I can see him still being a Liverpool player come September.
    Yes, this. From the sounds of his own interviews and how he has settled in, and the change he's undergone himself, I don't think he'd go next season. Possibly the season after though. If anything, Liverpool are in an even better position than last year since he signed a new contract less than a year ago and we have enough cash as to not need to sell him. You never know though, but if he does go it'll probably be the transfer fee record. 67m is way too low.
    Last edited by Ikki; 22-06-2014 at 07:34 PM.

International Coach
    I don't really see any way Suarez turns down Real Madrid, whatever attachment he feels to Liverpool. They're the biggest name in world football by miles among Latin people. Look at Ronaldo. He still speaks with great affection about us and his time here, and we were widely seen as the best side in Europe when he wanted to go, but he wouldn't turn down Real Madrid. I just don't see any way Suarez feels enough loyalty to Liverpool to choose to stay at a side that, for all the progress they undoubtedly made last season still didn't win anything, haven't won a title in 24 years, are fourth favourites for next season's title and are far from guaranteed to win a title any time soon, in favour of moving to the biggest club in world football, who on top of that are currently champions of Europe. I could (sort of) see him turning down Barcelona but not Real Madrid. If they genuinely are in for him (it seems like they are, and he is their sort of signing) then the only way I can see him not going is if some sort of deal is done for him to go next summer, as there was with Ronaldo.

I'd be astounded if there is no release clause in Suarez's contract given when he signed it they weren't guaranteed in most people's eyes to even finish in the top four and we all know Real Madrid would have no qualms about meeting it if needs be.
    Last edited by Tom Halsey; 22-06-2014 at 09:00 PM.
    MSN - tomhalsey123@hotmail.com

Manchester United FC: 20 Times

R.I.P. Sledger's Signature, 2004-2008

Apart from City and Chelsea, who are the 3rd team ahead of Liverpool as favourites? They're better placed than Arsenal, United or Tottenham at the moment to challenge. I'd rank it like this: Chelsea>City>Liverpool>Arsenal>United>Tottenham.

We'll see. We hear enough of these kinds of news and assurances made either way to know that the opposite can happen. But as I say, from the noises coming from Suarez or the club, it isn't going to happen this season. You get the feeling they want a proper go at the title next year and we'd be willing to cash out right before he hits his 30s. It'll happen you'd think eventually, though.
    Last edited by Ikki; 22-06-2014 at 09:50 PM.

International Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikki View Post
    Apart from City and Chelsea, who are the 3rd team ahead of Liverpool as favourites? They're better placed than Arsenal, United or Tottenham at the moment to challenge. I'd rank it like this: Chelsea>City>Liverpool>Arsenal>United>Tottenham.
    United are 3rd favourites. United best price 6/1, Liverpool best price 7/1. Chelsea favourites and City 2nd favourites fwiw.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Halsey View Post
    United are 3rd favourites. United best price 6/1, Liverpool best price 7/1. Chelsea favourites and City 2nd favourites fwiw.
    United are not 3rd favourites. I've also seen some betting sites with both United and Liverpool at 6/1. It's laughable, they're not even 4th favourites really (I'd say Arsenal are and depending who they get could make that gap even bigger). I'm fairly sure Suarez isn't looking at United as an equal challenger in any case, even if the bookies are.

The reality is that no team that has come 7th the season before is likely going to challenge for the title. Apart from Liverpool last year, it's basically never happened. It's usually the team that has come 1st or 2nd, or at a stretch 3rd, the previous year.

United will do well to be able to gather themselves and get 4th, they're not winning the title next year.
    Last edited by Ikki; 23-06-2014 at 03:59 AM.

International Coach
    Possibly in Oz, I don't know. I used oddschecker and that is what it tells me. Premier League Winner 2014/15 Betting Odds | Oddschecker

I think those odds are fine tbh, although it is hard to predict with certainty how United will go, they are the highest variance side this year. I think though we've already made the best signing anyone will make this summer. LVG > Moyes by so much that he will improve our results more than any player would do.

It's the same squad that won the title 14 months ago.

EDIT: Although I have just noticed that using oddschecker best price, City are favourites haha. I normally use Betfair and just assumed Chelsea would be favourites with the bookies as well seeing as they are favourites on Betfair. Also seen that there are some bookies where Liverpool are shorter than United on here, but not many.
    Last edited by Tom Halsey; 23-06-2014 at 03:58 AM.

Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    Yeah, but as we've established in the last five seasons, you can't win a title with Thomas Vermaelen at the heart of your defence.

International Coach
    Yeah it isn't strictly the same side now tbf, but Vidic, Rio, Giggs and Scholes hardly played big roles in the 2012/13 season. It was basically the same side last year though compared to the title winning side, which came 7th the year after winning it. Shows how big an impact the manager has on these things.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikki View Post

We'll see. We hear enough of these kinds of news and assurances made either way to know that the opposite can happen. But as I say, from the noises coming from Suarez or the club, it isn't going to happen this season. You get the feeling they want a proper go at the title next year and we'd be willing to cash out right before he hits his 30s. It'll happen you'd think eventually, though.
    I would be amazed if you've managed to pull off the spoof-release-clause prank on him a second time. I think ultimately you'll have to let him go if both he and Madrid want the deal done.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

The wildcard is LVG, but it's too much of a step for a new manager to come into a new club (and league) that's had such a terrible season and that is having such a big turnover in players. It's simply not realistic and if anything the bookies are betting on the 'name' of United. Unless they go ham and spend like 200m on quality players (and even then, it's doubtful because players take time to assimilate) it's delusional to think so IMO. Trust me, I know after 2008-09/2009-2010

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    I would be amazed if you've managed to pull off the spoof-release-clause prank on him a second time. I think ultimately you'll have to let him go if both he and Madrid want the deal done.
    If he signed a contract for the reason of having a release clause last season, then it's going to be astronomical I'd bet, as the owners didn't need to extend his contract at that time. And meeting that is the only way it's going to happen this season I reckon. As said, these days you don't know, but generally you can gauge the likelihood of these kinds of things in club talks amongst fans and from admin/player interviews. It doesn't really register on the richter scale at the moment. We also have the kind of owner who if he doesn't want it to happen; it won't happen. For some reason, it just makes sense that he'd go next season. For Real to break the transfer record 2 seasons running is a bit much in that current Spanish economy too.
    Last edited by Ikki; 23-06-2014 at 04:18 AM.

International Coach
    There isn't a big turnover of players though, that is the point. From the title winning side we have lost two old players to retirement, and two defenders who even two years ago were a long way past their best. Smalling, Jones and Evans, who will all be here next season, all played reasonable amounts that season also so it's not like they need settling in time. Evans played more than Vidic in fact.

United are just hard to predict I think. It's one of those occasions where I think United are correctly a shorter price than Liverpool to win the title, but if we were to have a straight bet on who will finish higher out of United and Liverpool then Liverpool should probably be slight favourites. United could conceivably come anywhere from 1st-7th IMO, although either extreme would certainly be surprising.

Thread Information