• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2014-15

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Chelsea sold Mata for £37.1m and David Luiz for £50m and bought Cesc (£27m) and Matic (£21m) with plenty to spare for others. Impressive start for them.

Eds

International Debutant
He's a really good signing in terms of what he adds to the squad. Just well, well overpriced.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
In a sense they're paying for the devil they know. Finding another Coutinho would be perfect but at least this way you know you're not getting another Aspas.

Everyone knows Lallana is a good player, likely to settle quickly, links well with Lambert. Might be better to just overpay than to take a punt on someone less well known.

Last edited:

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Again it depends how much is left over for other signings.

Lallana definitely shouldn't have been top priority. If other positions are being strengthened then that's fine, if they're not then it isn't. Essentially they've paid £25m for more depth in a position they're already strong in (not saying that isn't worthwhile necessarily, depends on budgets) and as yet haven't fixed the defence and midfield that shipped 50 league goals last season.

I guess what I'm saying is we don't know whether it's a good piece of business or not yet for Liverpool.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Not looking especially good for Southampton. Losing 3 key players and a successful manager in a space of weeks isn't something that's likely to be easy to overcome.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Have needed a new midfielder in the Vidal mould tbh, and there aren't many players in the world better at doing what Vidal does than Vidal. And from the sound of things Arsenal will still have plenty of cash to throw around, so I wouldn't worry about the other areas being neglected.

That said RE: the Vidal transfer, I'll believe it when I see it.

Jarquis

Fee for Shaw is fine IMO. Rooney and Ferdinand hardly turned out to be wastes of money. No way he justifies 100k pw right now though

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Have needed a new midfielder in the Vidal mould tbh, and there aren't many players in the world better at doing what Vidal does than Vidal. And from the sound of things Arsenal will still have plenty of cash to throw around, so I wouldn't worry about the other areas being neglected.

That said RE: the Vidal transfer, I'll believe it when I see it.
Oh yeah it definitely won't happen, I was just thinking about it in theory. II'm not so sure whether he and Ramsey would work as a midfield paring in practice. They both tackle loads, but they also thrive on driving into the box and scoring loads as well. Will either of them be disciplined enough to sit back and would we even want that at the expense of their attacking threat?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
No worries whatsoever imo. Wenger obvs planning on playing a 6 man, Spain-style, attacking midfield consisting of Wilshere, Vidal, Ramsey, Ozil, Ox, and Diaby as the false nine. Would be incredible.

Jarquis

Oh yeah it definitely won't happen, I was just thinking about it in theory. II'm not so sure whether he and Ramsey would work as a midfield paring in practice. They both tackle loads, but they also thrive on driving into the box and scoring loads as well. Will either of them be disciplined enough to sit back and would we even want that at the expense of their attacking threat?
The idea that 'if one goes the other stays' was the basis of central midfield partnerships for about 30 years is wager. They'd be fine. Having two players capable of doing two jobs makes life so much harder for the opposition.

Pothas

Yeah it is just so stupid. Taken two years to settle in and then he starts to beome they player they thought they bought and they are willing to let him go.

Pothas

Anyway amazing and rather strange day for the Bees, we spent a million on a player....I can't actually get my head round it.

What makes it exciting is that it is on a young exciting player who is moving up in the game and not in a Premiership has been.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
That is actually amazing. Must be a transfer record for Brentford?

Looks like a really good signing too.