• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2014-15

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I'm convinced this stuff is happening (big matches being stupidly one sided) more these days. Could just be that there are more matches though.
Nah I think you're right. Though you being an arsenal fan may help the perception :ph34r:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Bayern have been ****ing incredible tonight. The constant interchanging of positions between players has really been something.

Alaba as an overlapping centre half has been brilliant.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
But could they do it on a wet and windy Tuesday night in Birkenhead? Come on you whites, **** Matteh

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Redknapp gets way too much **** as a manager on these forums, certainly. Grecian is correct that he is anything but underrated by the media but that could just be in England tbf.

He has done a good job for the vast majority of his career. I think he is far more suited to club management than international management (he isn't a tactical genius and his strength is essentially spotting a player, which you can't really do in international football) but he would have been better than Roy, who has spent most of his career doing an average to poor job at most of the many clubs (and nations) he has managed and seems to have gotten away with it.

Of course it is understandable that you would prefer Woy to manage your country though because Harry is certainly a **** on a grand scale, no arguments there.

Last edited:

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Redknapp gets way too much **** as a manager on these forums, certainly. Grecian is correct that he is anything but underrated by the media but that could just be in England tbf.

He has done a good job for the vast majority of his career. I think he is far more suited to club management than international management (he isn't a tactical genius and his strength is essentially spotting a player, which you can't really do in international football) but he would have been better than Roy, who has spent most of his career doing an average to poor job at most of the many clubs (and nations) he has managed and seems to have gotten away with it.

Of course it is understandable that you would prefer Woy to manage your country though because Harry is certainly a **** on a grand scale, no arguments there.
That's all I was arguing about on this particular occasion. We've had the Hodgson-Redknapp argument before, we disagree. I don't think either are remoetly the right man for the jon though.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
I'm convinced this stuff (big matches being stupidly one sided) is happening more these days. Could just be that there are more matches though.
I think it was Uppercut who IMO hit the nail on the head on this a while back. The current trend is to keep the same gameplan and not adapt at all whoever you are playing which makes this sort of thing, when one style matches up particularly well vs another, much more likely.

EDIT: I also just think there are quite a lot more good attacking players around than good defensive players at the moment. Kind of like how in cricket the strengths of world batting and bowling stocks can flip around between eras.

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yes, I have no gripes with Redknapp in terms of his managerial abilities. My dislike of him stems from the fact that he is obviously completely bent, and just generally dire.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Also, wtf is going on in this pic? In particular, I am curious about the expressions on the faces of Remy and Oscar, as well as where Remy's hand is positioned.

Last edited:

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Remy injured yourself if you're seriously asking @Sledger

@Halsey: That definitely explains Arsenal. But i actually would've thought Roma's style would suit playing Bayern.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
People who watched Maribor tonight and moan about groups being boring deserve to be shot. Yes I'm talking to you Gary Lineker.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
@Halsey: That definitely explains Arsenal. But i actually would've thought Roma's style would suit playing Bayern.
Yeah I don't disagree with that, I'm sure there is also just some element of strange otherwise unexplainable things having happened a bit more often as well.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Müller: "Our coach set us up well and showed us where Roma's weaknesses were."

This is what I mean with Pep and adapting. Maybe his overall philosophies are rigid, but he is still very opponent specific. There's a few great anecdotes from the book on his first season in Bayern.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Müller: "Our coach set us up well and showed us where Roma's weaknesses were."

This is what I mean with Pep and adapting. Maybe his overall philosophies are rigid, but he is still very opponent specific. There's a few great anecdotes from the book on his first season in Bayern.
Yeah, was interesting to hear the details behind how he absolutely had Arsenal's number. All planned down to a tee.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
RVP wasn't a great signing really. I don't mean he was bad one when I say that, just not a particularly good one either. They basically ended up paying £20 million and four years of £200k a week for one high class season. In fact, I think every Man United striker is ridiculously expensive and past their best.
I don't understand. I'm under no illusions as to how badly he's regressed this past two seasons, but even so, that sounds like a phenomenal deal to me. £20m for a player that single-handedly wins you the title in his first season? I'd be all over that.