• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2014-15

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
My opinion on this is really not coherent, I can't really disagree with any of that but there is just something in it that I don't like.

One thing I would say is that sometimes people seem to think there is no relation between playing well and winning a game. It is the whole 'result not performance thing,' obviously it is not always the case but good performances generally lead to good results.
I already said that earlier though - prior to the Liverpool game I think it's fair enough to say that Villa were getting results in spite of their approach and could've actually won the games more comfortably had they opted for a different approach but on the other hand, if you think they're capable of beating Liverpool at their own game then I disagree. In that instance they did what they had to do to give themselves the best chance of winning and it worked.

Jarquis

Curious as to whether the people in this thread like Atletico Madrid.
They're right on the cusp for me. I think what Simeone has done in terms of maintaining the identity of the side despite pretty significant changes in personnel is amazing and they definitely can be entertaining to watch in the typical sense with some brilliant attacking players but they're no strangers to the 'dirty' side of the game either.

Basically, I want to love them and can certainly admire then but they're nowhere near as likeable as someone like Dortmund for example

Last edited:

Pothas

Curious as to whether the people in this thread like Atletico Madrid.
They are never going to be one of my absolutely favourite sides but I can't help but like them.

When I say that style and attacking intent are important I don't mean every side has to try and play like Barcelona. Said it before but the thing I most like about Atletico is that they refuse to be patronised, they also have some bloody good players.

Pothas

I already said that earlier though - prior to the Liverpool game I think it's fair enough to say that Villa were getting results in spite of their approach and could've actually won the games more comfortably had they opted for a different approach but on the other hand, if you think they're capable of beating Liverpool at their own game then I disagree. In that instance they did what they had to do to give themselves the best chance of winning and it worked.
Yeah as I said I can't actually disagree.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I agree with Uppercut in that what you like is subjective; I just happen to think ultra-defensive, sit 11 men in your box, tactic sucks dick. That's just my opinion. I didn't expect Villa to play in a way that helps us and whatever way they think helps them is something they're entitled to, even if that means purposely ceding possession. My comments had nothing to do with that.

I also agree that points/results matter more at this level of the game where the financial implications can make or break a club. But I reckon in the long run that a team that tries to play football in an attacking manner will be more successful in terms of results anyway and I'd much rather a league where even the smaller teams take it to the bigger teams. That attacking manner doesn't mean that a team has to have x amount of possession or y amount of passes or anything like that. I can appreciate a great counter-attacking team. Recall that Chelsea team that lost to Barca in the Hiddink year (the 4 penalty shouts game) and even though Barca had a tonne of possession, it was Chelsea that created numerous chances and Barca didn't even have a shot on goal until they actually scored.

But there's a difference between that and what Villa have been doing so far this season. If you looked at it like a boxing match it's kind of like one fighter landing a punch then spending the rest of the round running around the ring to avoid getting hit. As a player in that team it must suck as well; I don't think any player grows up devoting their life to the game or being interested in it in the first place if it is to play so negatively.

It's foolish, but I find myself supporting teams like the current Leicester city team in the hope that if they succeed playing that way that it will encourage other teams to follow suit. Just makes the league that much better to watch IMO.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't really see why people wouldn't like them. It's not that they play an especially likeable system, they just always seem to be trying much harder than their opponents. I mean, I'd sooner pay to watch Barca or Madrid, but that's not the same thing as liking them more.

The fact that they're massive underdogs helps of course.

Last edited:

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
I don't really see why people wouldn't like them. It's not that they play an especially likeable system, they just always seem to be trying much harder than their opponents. I mean, I'd sooner pay to watch Barca or Madrid, but that's not the same thing as liking them more.

The fact that they're massive underdogs helps of course.
I dunno if it does anymore tbh. I get the feeling that underdogs are there to be pushed around and know their place as 3rd/5th/whatever best these days.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I don't particularly love Atletico, but they're the only competition to the Madrid-Barca duopoly, both of whom I despise. It's just absolutely fantastic when sides like Madrid and Barca lose to them. They're like Chelsea without the rich sugar daddy.

They don't always just sit deep as well. They're just as much a pressing side. In the opening half an hour of their second leg CL tie against Barca last year they could've scored 4 or 5 they were so dominant offensively.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Also, since Debuchy is out for months, I wonder if there is any chance of Jenkinson being recalled from West Ham. Otherwise Bellerin is going to be getting a run out fairly soon...

Edit: Haha, only just seen that Alex Song is also now at Wham. :laugh:
I'd rather play Bellerin than Jenkinson tbh. Fastest Arsenal player of all time FTR.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Pretty poor comments tbh. Why would you want to rely on wing play (which, lets be honest, is pretty outdated these days, just because the club have had lots of good wingers in the past. And he sights Ronaldo as an example. He's basically a striker who just happens to play wide, not a winger at all. And actually criticising the attention to detail and preparation for specific opponents sounds really weird.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
And actually criticising the attention to detail and preparation for specific opponents sounds really weird.
This was actually something that Brian Clough despised about Leeds. Firmly believed that time was better spent improving your own game than trying to counter someone else's. It does seem kind of strange to oppose it so heavily but it's very common.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
And actually criticising the attention to detail and preparation for specific opponents sounds really weird.
He's got a point though; Moyes was a relentlessly negative manager (see his "Liverpool are favourites" quote - you just don't say stuff like that as Man Utd manager) and that sort of mindset affects your players. Obviously you should be preparing in depth for your opposition but a team like Manchester United should be preparing towards their own strengths, not stopping their opponents.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
I liked the "hundred years of winger history" where everyone except two are players I've seen.

Your "football started in 1992" bias is showing, Mr Ferdinand.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I remember they did a fly on the wall with whiskey breath on ITV once and he was briefing his team tactically. He advised them that if they played their game properly, the opposition didn't have a chance.