• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Euro 2016 Qualifying Draw

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Happening this morning with England in pot 1, Scotland and Wales pot 4, Northern Ireland 5, Ireland in 2 and Gibraltar in 6.

Tournament being turned into a cash cow as it is extended from 16 to 24 teams for the finals. WHY?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Apparently it was Scotland and the Republic of Ireland that orignally suggested it. Only 3 voted against (England, Germany and one other).

Further proof it's about money is qualifiers being spread over 6 days each round of matches (playing Thursday/Sunday, Friday/Monday or Saturday/Tuesday)

Equally silly is that France are in a qualifying group but are already there as hosts.

Gets worse for 2020 doesn't it with about 10 hosts?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Ha, go team Gib!

But agree with marc; 24 teams is silly. Is Wafer going to use the same format as the WC had when it was 24? Six groups of 4 with the best 4 third placed teams advancing with the winners and runners-up?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Ha, go team Gib!

But agree with marc; 24 teams is silly. Is Wafer going to use the same format as the WC had when it was 24? Six groups of 4 with the best 4 third placed teams advancing with the winners and runners-up?
Yes.

This will be tedious in the extreme.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I love how Wafer inbuilt caveats into the draw where Gibraltar couldn't be drawn to face Spain nor Armenia with Azerbaijan.

Must admit I'm not very au fait with the political situation between the latter pair of nations, but the Spain/Gib thing is a joke, surely? Spanish have just had a three hundred year monk on, whereas countries who've actually been at war in the last 25 years (say, Bosnia and Serbia) get no such concessions.

Anyway, fairly cushy draw what with three teams going through.

Mildly counter-intuitive that two top seeds for the world cup finals tournament were in pot 2 for European qualifiers tho, but.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Apparently it was Scotland and the Republic of Ireland that orignally suggested it. Only 3 voted against (England, Germany and one other).

Further proof it's about money is qualifiers being spread over 6 days each round of matches (playing Thursday/Sunday, Friday/Monday or Saturday/Tuesday)

Equally silly is that France are in a qualifying group but are already there as hosts.

Gets worse for 2020 doesn't it with about 10 hosts?
I actually think the idea for Euro 2020 is genius, but a 24 team finals is ridiculous. 16 teams was perfect.

flibbertyjibber

I actually think the idea for Euro 2020 is genius, but a 24 team finals is ridiculous. 16 teams was perfect.
I'm intrigued as how it will work, will either be brilliant or a total shambles.

16 teams is enough for europe, with 24 you make it too long and have too many average sides in it.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah I am not against the 2020 idea but I don't think anyone thinks that 24 teams is a good idea.

Qualification is going to be so very boring as well.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
“@SkySportsNewsHQ: Sky Sources: England side vs Switzerland: Hart, Stones, Cahill, Jones, Baines, Delph, Henderson, Wilshere, Sterling, Rooney, Welbeck #SSNHQ”

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah I looked at the side and thought 433 but then they did try the diamond against Norway.

Uppercut

Yeah I think it'll be Welbeck on the left wing and Sterling on the right. Chelsea-style 4-3-3/4-5-1.

Hodgson's comments about this game have all been very negative and the diamond would be, as Cabs points out, ridiculously attacking. Especially with Sturridge out.

Also Delph is a counter-attacking midfielder, so his selection suggests they'll be sitting back.

Last edited:

Uppercut

But everyone in the know seems to think it's a diamond, so looks like I'm wrong and Hodgson really is doing something crazy.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Even if we have to play a diamond, surely to feck Henderson is better suited to be at its base?

Must be one of the most workmanlike England sides since the dog days of Taylor.

Take Sterling out and it looks cod-ordinary.