• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* NRL 2014

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't see why we need new NRL threads these days tbh, given that they seem to get **** all activity.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
So are you still excited about Brooks UV?

The first week of the draw was a bit weird. 7 games in Sydney seems excessive, definitely think that a game like Panthers vs Knights should have been in Newcastle and probably Manly vs Melbourne should be in Melbourne instead of Brookvale to take advantage of no AFL and to draw a bigger crowd (in both games) Parramatta vs New Zealand perhaps in NZ too, although Will Hopoate's Eels debut should attract interest.

If you aren't concerned with crowds, the matches seem pretty good though, can't wait for Barba vs the Dogs.

uvelocity

International Coach
yeah, why wouldnt i be? hopefully we can keep our forwards fit and have a good year. on the back page the other night they were saying flanno might be in trouble and sheens to go there. tigersharks

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't see why we need new NRL threads these days tbh, given that they seem to get **** all activity.
Now now. There's only one way to solve that Morgs.

Reckon it's going to be a real interesting year. Lots of questions. I wonder how Dragons fans are going to respond to having more games at the oval mostrosity. I wonder if the Saturday afternoon timeslot will be popular. I wonder whether Barba is going to settle back into his 2012 groove. I wonder if Parra are going to improve at all. I wonder if noted boxer Blake Ferguson will end up back in the sport he's actually good at. I wonder if it's possible to make a logo ****tier than our new one. Really looking forward to it.

Burgey

I guess the main thing is the Broncos get 21 Friday night games through the year again. What a ****ing joke.

And well played th NRL on stiffing it's most financially strapped club by giving it no Sunday arvo home games and a stack of MNF. Seriously stupid move that.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
There is a rule that has been put in place that means no team is allowed to play more than 18 matches on nein. No doubt Broncos, will get the full complement or very close to it. It seriously is rubbish as Broncos people who say that Sunday afternoon is their ideal day. I feel sorry for Titans fans too, having to play 5 home games on a Monday night.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Broncos get so much out of it though. Might not be great for the fans but being on FTA every week drives up sponsorship prices and brand exposure. Besides, $1m gives Gyngell the right to do what he bloody well likes with the sport doesn't it?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Broncos get so much out of it though. Might not be great for the fans but being on FTA every week drives up sponsorship prices and brand exposure. Besides, $1m gives Gyngell the right to do what he bloody well likes with the sport doesn't it?
What happens if the Broncos have a Parra 2013-like year? Wouldn't you want to safeguard against that somewhat, by not putting most of your eggs in the basket of a team which finished in the bottom half last year.

On to the bold part, it means that most weeks I get the good fortune of watching my team on a delayed telecast with a bunch of commercials on it instead of watching in live on Fox Sports like every match they have.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
What happens if the Broncos have a Parra 2013-like year? Wouldn't you want to safeguard against that somewhat, by not putting most of your eggs in the basket of a team which finished in the bottom half last year.
It's always going to be tricky with the draw so early, but yes. Their Sydney programming is even worse though. Tigers vs Eels in Round 22 a particular highlight.

On to the bold part, it means that most weeks I get the good fortune of watching my team on a delayed telecast with a bunch of commercials on it instead of watching in live on Fox Sports like every match they have.
Don't forget the standard def!!!!

Burgey

Can't see us getting above bottom four again this year tbh. I've heard good things abotu Brad Arthur, but he has very little cattle to work with, the recruitment of Hopoate notwithstanding. I think the best he could hope for is he gets the defensive structures right and the players really want to play for him.

Will also be interesitng to see where he starts Hayne. He's indicated he really enjoyed his time int he centres during hte WC and tbh he played brilliantly there. Of course, he'll have Sandow and Kelly passing on the ground to him instead of Cronk and Thurston hitting his chest as he runs into a hole, so I don't know if there's much future there.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Hoppa/Hayne would probably be the strongest center combo in the game if they play to their potential. Lyon/Matai possibly shading them.

You've long since given up on Willie right?

Edit: Now I think about it, not really sure Center is where Parra really need strengthening. Morgan was pretty good last year, and surely Willie will do as depth.

Last edited:

Burgey

Oh god yeah. Bloke is an embarrassment. the only solution is they let him play in a pair of Qld Origin shorts. Then he might have a go.

The other interest for our supporters this year is to see how the Pommie forward stacks up.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Can't see us getting above bottom four again this year tbh. I've heard good things abotu Brad Arthur, but he has very little cattle to work with, the recruitment of Hopoate notwithstanding. I think the best he could hope for is he gets the defensive structures right and the players really want to play for him.

Will also be interesitng to see where he starts Hayne. He's indicated he really enjoyed his time int he centres during hte WC and tbh he played brilliantly there. Of course, he'll have Sandow and Kelly passing on the ground to him instead of Cronk and Thurston hitting his chest as he runs into a hole, so I don't know if there's much future there.
When Corey Norman doesn't decide to go himself, he provides decent ball. I honestly quite like Parra's backline options this season.