• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

And then there were two

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bill Foulkes died today leaving just Harry Gregg and Sir Bobby of the "Busby Babes" still with us. I'm too young to remember the Munich Disaster, but when I was a kid everyone talked about it, and as a result of it every neutral in the country was a United fan, which is why they have such a huge following today - at least that's my opinion

RIP Bill

BoyBrumby

Englishman
RIP.

Seems incredible a chap who played nigh on 700 times for Man U was only capped once for his country.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Ah didn't see this thread.

Munich is certainly part of the reason why the club has such a huge following today, but it's not the whole reason. Similar tragedy happened to Torino, and they don't have the biggest following in Italy.

Think it was really the recovery that captured the imagination, culminating of course in winning the European Cup ten years later. That's mainly why I consider Foulkes' goal against Real in 68 to be one of the most important we've ever scored.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ah didn't see this thread.

Munich is certainly part of the reason why the club has such a huge following today, but it's not the whole reason. Similar tragedy happened to Torino, and they don't have the biggest following in Italy.

Think it was really the recovery that captured the imagination, culminating of course in winning the European Cup ten years later. That's mainly why I consider Foulkes' goal against Real in 68 to be one of the most important we've ever scored.
The wonderful football they played helped, obviously - Besty really was as good as we rheumy-eyed old gits say he was - Messi is a donkey in comparison

mullarkey

School Boy/Girl Captain
In 1994 I went to Wembley Stadium where I saw Man United beat Chelsea (4-0) to win the FAC and Premier League double. I was with a friend of mine and his sister we are all United supporters. After the match we later boarded a packed tube train only to find ourselves sat opposite Billy Foulkes. We recognised him but the other fans didn't as most of them where Chelsea fans. He was very smartly dressed and me being pest me had to strike up a conversation with him. I asked him about his famous goal in Madrid in the 1968 semi and he was very modest about it of co smart and impressiveurse. My friends then started chatting to him also and it certainly came out that he was bitter about many things. He had once coached in Japan and that was where he had got his ticket from for the final. Draw your own conclusions from that but suffice to say he didn't have a particularly high opinion of Bobby Charlton. But he was a very smart and charming man. God rest his soul.