• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Rugby League World Cup 2013

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I tried to squeeze in a bolter but couldn't.. Perhaps a strong showing in a GF win could see a surprise.

Australia
1 Billy SLATER
2 Darius BOYD
3 Josh MORRIS
4 Greg INGLIS
5 Brett MORRIS
6 Johnathon THURSTON
7 Cooper CRONK
8 Matt SCOTT
9 Cam SMITH
10 James TAMOU
11 Greg BIRD
12 Sam THAIDAY
13 Paul GALLEN

14 Robbie FARAH
15 Nate MYLES
16 Luke LEWIS
17 Anthony WATMOUGH

18 Andrew FIFITA 19 Michael JENNINGS 20 Matt GILLETT 21 Brent TATE 22 Daly CHERRY-EVANS 23 Jarryd HAYNE 24 Corey PARKER

Fifita and Tamou could easily interchange. Sheens loves continuity though and the 17 I have named is the 17 that won the ANZAC Test apart from Gidley and Hodges out injured and in there place Farah and JMoz. You can substitute Farah out and bring in anyone from the extended bench (barring the outside backs).

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I hope SBW plays..

This is the sort of squad I expect to see and I think overall it is a good one.

1 Kevin LOCKE
2 Jason NIGHTINGALE
3 Shaun KENNY DOWALL
4 Dean WHARE
5 Manu VATUVEI
6 Kieran FORAN
7 Shaun JOHNSON
8 Jesse BROMWICH
9 Issac LUKE
10 Jared WAEREA-HARGREAVES
11 Sonny Bill WILLIAMS
12 Kevin PROCTOR
13 Simon MANNERING

14 Elijah TAYLOR
15 Ben MATULINO
16 Frank PRITCHARD
17 Sam MCKENDRY

18 Sam PERRETT 19 Alex GLENN 20 Sam RAPIRA 21 Thomas LEULUAI 22 Josh HOFFMAN 23 Lewis BROWN 24 Greg EASTWOOD

Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, Adam Blair, Konrad Hurrell, Tohu Harris and Frank Paul Nuuausala are in the mix.

EDIT - Take out Lewis Brown from the squad if Jeremy Smith is still available (he probably should start at 13, Mannering to 12 and Proctor/Pritchard fight it out for a bench spot).
OUT
Whare and Rapira

IN
Inu and Kasiano - I forgot about the Doggies pair.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Why Hargreaves? He has a good mentality but doesn't seem big enough for that particular jersey number.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Not big enough? How big do you want him? He is one of the best props in the NRL. One of the more obvious choices for my money. Also, can you explain your earlier comment that your number 7 will hurt you?

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Not big enough? How big do you want him? He is one of the best props in the NRL. One of the more obvious choices for my money. Also, can you explain your earlier comment that your number 7 will hurt you?
I'm just here to throw stones at others' content as I am too inept to make original posts of my own so I am not going to respond about Johnson.

Just Kidding - although I can think of various CW posters who in cricket chat seem to take a counter punching attitude to posting rather than contributing new ideas.

On Johnson - he is a noob on the international stage and I thought his noobness showed in the last test regardless of how good he looks for the warriors.

On Hargreaves - never mind me I just googled his stats and he is 6 foot 4 - just doesn't stand out against the other men mountains on show. Some believe he has discipline issues at the highest level with regards to giving away dumb penalties on the 5th tackle etc.

In terms of contributing my own content - Australia will walk this unless they read their own press and believe they can just turn up. Most Aussie fans (and I ran a poll on cricsim) are taking the other nations seriously, but some aren't and say that Australia has a 100% chance of winning. And if that type of ****iness permeates the coaching staff then Aussie will get bundled out in an upset at some stage.

I personally think Aussie have a 75% chance of victory primarily because the officiating at the international level seems to allow the aussies to go offside on defence on every play. Either that or the Aussie line speed is just phenomenally fast when they put on a Roos jumper. A good carry by a kiwi in the last test was 4 metres because the defence was meeting us 2 metres away from the line of the ruck. Often 1 metre. That was the difference in the teams the last few internationals we have played against each other that and the fact your interchange bench has super stars on it and when they come on to the field all fresh they blow us away.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd have RTS over Nightingale tbh, and I've generally been a Nightingale fan. He just hasn't been himself this year.

This is the only international sport I don't religiously cheer for Australia. Like seeing other nations do well. Cheering on filthy Queenslanders is tough to do as well.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
England squad

BBC:

England squad: Carl Ablett (Leeds), Tom Briscoe (Hull), George Burgess, Sam Burgess, Tom Burgess (all South Sydney), Rob Burrow (Leeds), Josh Charnley (Wigan), Rangi Chase (Castleford), Leroy Cudjoe (Huddersfield), Liam Farrell (Wigan), James Graham (Canterbury Bulldogs), Ryan Hall (Leeds), Zak Hardaker (Leeds), Chris Hill (Warrington), Gareth Hock (Widnes), Michael McIlorum (Wigan), Lee Mossop (Wigan), Sean O'Loughlin (Wigan), James Roby (St Helens), Kevin Sinfield (Leeds, capt), Sam Tomkins (Wigan), Kallum Watkins (Leeds), Ben Westwood (Warrington), Gareth Widdop (Melbourne).

I guess, (un)lucky Luke Burgess aside, the most notable absences are Morley, Crabtree & Jon Wilkin.

We're very well served at prop anyway, so Wilkin's maybe the biggest surprise as he covers stand off, lock and second row. I'd have probably had him in there instead of Farrell, myself.

That said Westwood's cheap shot on Blake Green in the GF might yet mean he misses out.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Crabtree annoys me for some unknown reason.
There's a lot to work with there, tbf: the hair, the (misspelled) American first name & the fact he's Big Daddy's great nephew for starters.

In another life Eorl Crabtree drives a pick-up and sets fires to crosses on black folks' lawns in Alabama.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag

When does Australia name their squad? Originally I had JMoz ahead of Jennings because I thought that is what the selectors would do but I would rather Jennings by far, hope Sheens agrees.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Injured I'm afraid.

Australian official squad
Cameron Smith © - Melbourne Storm
Paul Gallen (v/c) - Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks
Greg Bird - Gold Coast Titans
Darius Boyd - Newcastle Knights
Daly Cherry-Evans - Manly Warringah Sea Eagles
Boyd Cordner - Sydney Roosters
Cooper Cronk - Melbourne Storm
Robbie Farah - Wests Tigers
Andrew Fifita - Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks
Jarryd Hayne - Parramatta Eels
Greg Inglis - South Sydney Rabbitohs
Michael Jennings - Sydney Roosters
Luke Lewis - Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks
Brett Morris - St George Illawarra Dragons
Josh Morris - Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs
Nate Myles - Gold Coast Titans
Josh Papalii - Canberra Raiders
Corey Parker - Brisbane Broncos
Matthew Scott - North Queensland Cowboys
Billy Slater - Melbourne Storm
James Tamou - North Queensland Cowboys
Brent Tate - North Queensland Cowboys
Sam Thaiday - Brisbane Broncos
Johnathan Thurston - North Queensland Cowboys

I think I got the squad correct apart from having Gillett over Cordner who I thought was unavailable otherwise I may have picked him as I rate him highly and Gillett is more of a liability in defense.

EDIT Manly ruled out Watmough so Papalii probably took his place.

Last edited:

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
that aussie squad sucks balls

out: jorris borris cordner parker tate
As always with selections, it all depends on who you replace them with. In the backs, Lyon's unavailable. Ferguson is a ****. Tafua's inexperienced. In the forwards I'd have Watmough over Parker and as Nufan said Gillett must have been pretty close. Not a big Tate fan but with so many wing options he's unlikely to get a game.

dermo

International Vice-Captain
Slater
Borris
Jennings
Ginglis
Boyd
Thurston
Cronk
Scott
Smith
Tamou