• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Americas Cup

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
At least Oracle will have 4 years to sail around displaying the trophy to all of the diverse nations that have represented them in this tournament. I'd love to see them sailing their catamaran through the roaring 40s.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just goes to show, if you want to achieve something against the odds, you need an Australian in charge.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Just goes to show, if you want to achieve something against the odds, you need an Australian in charge.
And yet he wouldn't have been able to get it done without his pommie tactician telling him what to do.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Someone said poor Dean Barker to me today and I raged.

Why was he selected to be captain. Surely there was someone with more experience in these boats. Why did he put his name forward if he is a muppet? And he is a muppet one mistake after another.

There are people begging me for money every day outside the train station. If we paid each of these people 15K a year we could take 2400 people off the streets for 36Million. Or at least feed them for the year. There aren't that many beggars in Wellington so i reckon 2400 is probably the total population of beggars in the whole country.

Secondly we didn't even have $36M ourselves we would have had to have borrowed the money from overseas.

Flem274*

123/5
sailing those things probably takes a lot of skill and it looks ****ing awesome but geez, by all reports most of the oracle boat is automated and they paid a bunch of blokes a quarter of a mill each to basically rebuild oracle during the race.

the whole thing seems to be getting a bit far from sport and closer to a space race. the r + d is getting to the point where the skill of the crew is being taken out of the equation. they might have even overdone it to the level formula 1 gets to occasionally. do the sailors see any of this unlimited budget? and how do you earn the right to get a place on one of those things? i know in other expensive sports like equestrian and motor racing people get sponsored to go overseas and play for random overseas teams/owners but how does someone go from your local yacht club to this?

the patriotism is what does my head in for this. they're not a new zealand team, they're a new zealand based franchise racing against other franchises. but then i guess super rugby is a thing...

Last edited:

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
sailing those things probably takes a lot of skill and it looks ****ing awesome but geez, by all reports most of the oracle boat is automated and they paid a bunch of blokes a quarter of a mill each to basically rebuild oracle during the race.

the whole thing seems to be getting a bit far from sport and closer to a space race. the r + d is getting to the point where the skill of the crew is being taken out of the equation. they might have even overdone it to the level formula 1 gets to occasionally. do the sailors see any of this unlimited budget? and how do you earn the right to get a place on one of those things? i know in other expensive sports like equestrian and motor racing people get sponsored to go overseas and play for random overseas teams/owners but how does someone go from your local yacht club to this?

the patriotism is what does my head in for this. they're not a new zealand team, they're a new zealand based franchise racing against other franchises. but then i guess super rugby is a thing...
To be fair to Team NZ though, it seems most of them actually came from NZ. Not so Team USA.