• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2013-14

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Why is the penalty area the shape it is?

EDIT: Obviously, 18 yards from the goal... but should it be? Where would you redraw it if you had the chance?
An interesting q, and one I've pondered, it does seem silly when on an edge of the box with plenty of covering defenders a mistimed challenge get's a pen.

I think ideally it would be a referees definition of a cynical challenge made in a threatening position, and everything else a free-kick, but who trusts referees?

grecian

Trinity and the Governor fans of Liverpool. have there been two better baddies in the last ten years of TV?

Does this mean Liverpool are intrinsically evil?

grecian

Ice-hockey style... so we'd have the same discussion points as we do now about last men on red cards.
Yep nothings perfect is it? yet in Ice-hockey, tends to be more goals so these things less controversial.

Intrinsically changing a thing is always a horrible controversy, in the end if cricket had started today, everyone would agree on technology to make decisions, it would just be logical.

Jarquis

City can finish on 86 (5 left to play, GD 54)
Chelsea on 84

Liverpool win and they go to 80 with 3 to play (current GD 51) so 2 wins and a draw will guarantee it. Norwich (A), Chelsea (H), Palace (A), Newcastle (H).

Those last 2 have nothing to play for so you'd see them as gimmes. Palace have obviously been on a good run but it'll end at some point and they're mathematically safe now.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I'm drunk so someone help me. If Liverpool win tomorrow what do they need to win the title?
Basically if City drop any more points then Liverpool can lose to the Chavs and still win the title of they win their remaining 3 games.

Pothas

Football is so great. I can't actually be bothered to watch any of it after yesterday but it is great.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Sorry Marcuss but surely you didn't compare the sense of entitlement between Liverpool and Chelsea fans?

Jarquis

Sorry Marcuss but surely you didn't compare the sense of entitlement between Liverpool and Chelsea fans?
Chelsea are an entirely plastic club with no history, I'm fully aware but at least their success has been recent and is somewhat relevant even if it is founded on Russian oil money.

Liverpool fans live so far in the past its absurd and the whole 'most successful club' or 'biggest club' bollocks just really grates on me. They've been relevant in the title race once (now twice) since Arsenal last won it and haven't been in Europe for how many years?

It just makes it really hard to be happy for them which is a shame as I don't mind Rodgers at all and do quite like a number of their players but the fans seem to be too busy reminding everyone that 'it was a matter of time' and 'they were due' to just enjoy their success while it lasts.

If Arsenal won the league this year I'd like to think I'd be too busy jizzing up the walls and doing cartwheels to give a **** about detractors trying to undermine our achievements.

Pothas

As long as Chelsea don't win I am happy. I was against this Liverpool being good thing but now it has come down to it I can't begrudge them at all.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Woke up with an erection. It all made sense after I checked the overnight results.

Will henceforth refer to it as a Bonerini.

Last edited:

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Am I alone in thinking that Sebastian Larsson smashing Ramires in the back when he was about to head into an empty net was almost certainly a pen? I can't believe more wasn't made of it.
You don't mean the same Seb Larrson as in this GIF, do you? Can't see how he would ever do anything like that, he's not that type of player.

Let us all remember that he wasn't booked and Garcia was shown yellow for protesting about it a play later.

Praise be to Seb.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I think it was a definite pen tbh. Azpilicueta doing his best Clichy impression.

Was amazed they said that the Larsson incident I mentioned above was "astounding defending" though; I thought it was an obvious body-check.
Agreed on both counts.

And Ramires should have walked for elbowing. Can't remember whether that was before or after the penalty that should have been.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Chelsea are an entirely plastic club with no history, I'm fully aware but at least their success has been recent and is somewhat relevant even if it is founded on Russian oil money.

Liverpool fans live so far in the past its absurd and the whole 'most successful club' or 'biggest club' bollocks just really grates on me. They've been relevant in the title race once (now twice) since Arsenal last won it and haven't been in Europe for how many years?

It just makes it really hard to be happy for them which is a shame as I don't mind Rodgers at all and do quite like a number of their players but the fans seem to be too busy reminding everyone that 'it was a matter of time' and 'they were due' to just enjoy their success while it lasts.

If Arsenal won the league this year I'd like to think I'd be too busy jizzing up the walls and doing cartwheels to give a **** about detractors trying to undermine our achievements.
Sorry mate but their fans have been so reserved this season it's unreal. Only last Sunday did the majority of them begin to predict they'd win the title. I don't really think there are too many valid points in your post tbh, just comes across a tad bitter. Which is fine btw, because I'll never claim I'm not bitter towards about 35 different clubs.

Eds

International Debutant

This just isn't true at all though. It's just lazy stereotyping.