• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2013-14

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
It seems to me that Comoli is just another name that belongs on the list of objectionable persons that Liverpool have employed recently. He's just fortunate that there were more prominent figures to take the flack for their slide over the last few years, allowing him to get away relatively unscathed.

The guy seems like a massive dick though. Not only has he consistently attempted to shift the responsibility and blame others for the failures he had a direct hand in, but he now seems to be making a living by appearing on 5Live and TalkSport deriding Liverpool for how poorly they have done since he left. He was just on the radio the other day putting the boot in over the Suarez affair.

In fact, having looked back, he made some pretty crap purchases for Tottenham as well, and has been accused by the Saint-Etienne chairman of being the one responsible for their financial difficulties, due to his lavish spending of money.

The most unforgivable thing, however, is that he was apparently the one responsible for Arsenal signing Clichy. Dreadful.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Luis Suarez refuses to apologise to Liverpool | Football News | ESPN.co.uk

Ugly.

Ok, so, other than this now being pretty tedious. What does everything think will actually happen?

I've been doubtful about it for the entire time it's been in the press, but despite the owners stating they won't sell to Arsenal, I'm beginning to think it's looking more and more likely that their hands will be forced. If Suarez really is refusing to apologise, then his situation at Liverpool will be completely untenable, given his previous comments, and those made by Brendan Rodgers.

Unless Real Madrid gazump Arsenal, which doesn't seem likely at the moment, I really do expect him to be an Arsenal player before the transfer window closes.
I definitely don't think he'll end up at Arsenal. I just don't see how Liverpool can let it happen, it's essentially giving up altogether on CL qualification for the foreseeable future. Of course they've done a lot of stupid things recently, but not this particular brand of stupid. They're much more likely to be too stubborn and proud to let someone go when they should than they are to let themselves be bullied by a stroppy little prick. I just can't imagine they're sitting in a board room thinking "Suarez is being a tool, we'd better sacrifice all of our footballing ambitions for the next five years."

IMO he'll either stay or be rushed off somewhere left-field on deadline day, possibly on loan.

Last edited:

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Not that this settles it by any means, but Suarez has told Uruguayan journalists this morning that he's staying at Liverpool.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Not that this settles it by any means, but Suarez has told Uruguayan journalists this morning that he's staying at Liverpool.
Politicking in full effect. Looks good though.

Luis Suarez could agree to stay at Liverpool, according to a report - ESPN FC
The journalist tweeted: "Luis Suarez confirms to me that he will not leave Liverpool. The support of the fans in recent weeks influenced his decision."

Charquero added: "Suarez sees it as likely that he'll sign a renewal (extension) to the contract that binds him to Liverpool."
Gerrard also came out saying he isn't sure if Suarez is staying or not but he is very confident it's not to Arsenal.

Last edited:

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Still do not really understand what Arsenal are doing here. We know they need to spend some money but why have they not tried to buy 2 or 3 players of the calibre that City have gone for this summer? Or for that matter Spurs.

Uppercut

Still do not really understand what Arsenal are doing here. We know they need to spend some money but why have they not tried to buy 2 or 3 players of the calibre that City have gone for this summer? Or for that matter Spurs.
They can't really compete with Citeh there but Willian is supposedly available and wants a move to England now. Would cost 40m~ euro though.

I'm thinking Liverpool should probably look to string Arsenal along for the rest of the transfer window so they don't sign anyone else.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Because they've basically trolled themselves into a position where they need to sign Suarez.

Suarez's agent has blatantly ****ed up the release clause in his contract, which has in turn ****ed Arsenal over. When the likes of Falcao and Cavani were moving to France for £50m+, Arsenal are sitting there going "hmmm, we don't mind that, Suarez is available for £40m and he doesn't need to adapt to England." Now it's clear that to sign Suarez, Arsenal are going to have to pay at least £50m, and there's literally no other strikers left to sign.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Apparently Dzeko and Michu are being thought of as backup. Wouldn't mind Arsenal signing both/either of them, but they're not exactly the stellar signings that the board basically promised to sign. Don't think they would turn Arsenal into title challengers either.

Arsenal really need to close the deal on Gustavo, and then get their arses into gear. They've got to sign someone, and someone good, before the window closes. They've done well to flog off a load of the crap deadwood like Gervinho, Arshavin, Squillaci and Chamakh, but the squad is looking so thin all of a sudden.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Gustavo ends up joining Napoli or something stupid though, such is Arsenal's apparently inability to close the deal on potential transfers.

grecian

Tbh, no doubt Gustavo is quality but not sure midfield is the problem for Arse, but not buying anyone is probably a massive problem.......

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I think midfield cover is something that Arsenal are in desperate need of, and something that will be increasingly exposed as the season progresses if they don't sort it. I don't much fancy the idea of Arteta being the only defensive midfield option in the entire squad for an entire season. He certainly did alright in that role last year, but it's obviously not his best position.

Mind you, the absence of any cover of any defensive/tackling midfielders has been a problem with the Arsenal squad more or less since Gilberto left, so perhaps it is wishful thinking to imagine they'll sure things up now. ****s, getting really fed up with this transfer stupidity.

Last edited:

grecian

I think midfield cover is something that Arsenal are in desperate need of, and something that will be increasingly exposed as the season progresses if they don't sort it. I don't much fancy the idea of Arteta being the only defensive midfield option in the entire squad for an entire season. He certainly did alright in that role last year, but it's obviously not his best position.

Mind you, the absence of any cover of any defensive/tackling midfielders has been a problem with the Arsenal squad more or less since Gilberto left, so perhaps it is wishful thinking to imagine they'll sure things up now. ****s, getting really fed up with this transfer stupidity.
Ramsey? TBH Wilshire can do the role too, you don't need tough tacklers you just need people with a big work rate, who can break up attacks.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I'm not really sure what his best position is tbh, but I remember the times he played as the holding midfielder he looked pretty dodgy last year. Like Arteta, he can probably be shoehorned into that role, but he'd be better used in some other way. (edit: referring to Ramsey here)

Some teams may not need hard tacklers, but I think this is something Arsenal could really use, a lack of physical presence is something I've thought was very notable over the last few years. They looked like a totally different team when Alex Song was still there, but was unavailable through injury or whatever. They've got plenty of players who can play in the middle of midfield, but most of them are either primary attacking players like Cazorla and Chamberlain, or injury prone like Rosicky and Diaby. Wilshere could do the job I am sure, but I'd be happy just to see him play 75% of Arsenal's games this season. The idea of him being made the lynchpin of the side makes me feel decidedly uneasy. Above all else, I think in terms of depth alone they could do with someone else who could fit in there and free up other players to go and play in their preferred roles.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Nah you guys are stocked for CMs. Wilshere, Arteta, Ramsay, Rosicky, Cazorla, Diaby, even Oxlade-Chamberlain if you're stuck. I reckon that's at least four players that are better than all of your strikers.

grecian

I'm not really sure what his best position is tbh, but I remember the times he played as the holding midfielder he looked pretty dodgy last year. Like Arteta, he can probably be shoehorned into that role, but he'd be better used in some other way. (edit: referring to Ramsey here)

Some teams may not need hard tacklers, but I think this is something Arsenal could really use, a lack of physical presence is something I've thought was very notable over the last few years. They looked like a totally different team when Alex Song was still there, but was unavailable through injury or whatever. They've got plenty of players who can play in the middle of midfield, but most of them are either primary attacking players like Cazorla and Chamberlain, or injury prone like Rosicky and Diaby. Wilshere could do the job I am sure, but I'd be happy just to see him play 75% of Arsenal's games this season. The idea of him being made the lynchpin of the side makes me feel decidedly uneasy. Above all else, I think in terms of depth alone they could do with someone else who could fit in there and free up other players to go and play in their preferred roles.
Well, I think I read Wenger talking up the Leekist the other day, and TBH if he's going to play he's not going to play anywhere else because of the aforementioned talent in the side.

Speaking of Welsh people, I think I'll watch the Glamorgan-Middx match rather than England against the Jocko, quite frankly I watch enough of that style of football at Exeter every other week.

grecian

Nah you guys are stocked for CMs. Wilshere, Arteta, Ramsay, Rosicky, Cazorla, Diaby, even Oxlade-Chamberlain if you're stuck. I reckon that's at least four players that are better than all of your strikers.
You're forgetting the mighty Frimpong.....

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah, but my point was that half of those players will spend the season on the treatment table or simply aren't suited to playing in front of the defence. I would say all of those players are better at passing/going forward than anything remotely defensive. Thus, without buying another player, you'd have to sacrifice someone who's good going forward to provide cover in the middle. Besides, whilst a lot of those mentioned above can play in the centre of midfield, they're primarily used up playing wide. Cazorla, Chamberlain and Ramsey all had periods playing out wide at various times last year.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
You're forgetting the mighty Frimpong.....
Ha, even I forgot about him.

Sadly, despite being an entertaining character, he doesn't seem to actually be much chop. Which is a shame, I quite liked his intensity and the way he seemed to be a bit insane.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Well, I think I read Wenger talking up the Leekist the other day, and TBH if he's going to play he's not going to play anywhere else because of the aforementioned talent in the side.

Speaking of Welsh people, I think I'll watch the Glamorgan-Middx match rather than England against the Jocko, quite frankly I watch enough of that style of football at Exeter every other week.
I'll watch it until we're 4-0 down.