• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2013-14

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Arsenal on the verge of signing Bernard apparently. Tim Vickery seems to think this guy is the real deal, so will be quite excited if this rumour turns out to be true.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
According to the Grauniad, Arse have bid 40m for Suarez.

Oh and you ****s answer my Q on the Fantasy thread, if your not all too busy having a circle-**** on Cricsim......

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Seems a non-event of a clause, really.

Reported that they're only obliged to consider it and inform Suarez about it.

Reckon I'd prefer Rooney, on balance.

Jarquis

Why? He's a **** but one that's becoming increasingly average at football to boot. Suarez may be many things but he's a genius with the pall

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Liverpool have rejected it, apparently. One does wonder how long they can hold out for though. The fact that Suarez wants out, and now knows there are teams out there who are willing to pay big money to land him, may mean that Liverpool will be forced to sell. I think at £40m they'd be foolish not too really. They'd only have to sell him later down the line anyway, because there is no way they are breaking into the top 4 any time soon, and unless he has a truly remarkable season I doubt his value will ever be higher than what Arsenal are offering now.

Best thing about this whole thing is the headline though: "Arsenal offer £40m....". Just so funny to see it in writing. Sounds like it has to be a joke.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Why? He's a **** but one that's becoming increasingly average at football to boot. Suarez may be many things but he's a genius with the pall
Would definitely prefer Suarez myself, but he's definitely the high risk/high reward option. In terms of skill he's streets ahead of Rooney, but he's also totally unpredictable and prone to bouts of outrageous direness. One more indiscretion of note on his part, and he'll be staring down the barrell of an even more substantial ban, one suspects.

Arsenal's interest in Rooney does seem to have cooled though, and so I fully expect him to be a Chelsea player by the time the transfer window closes. Moyes can harp on all he likes about how he wants to keep Rooney, but it's clear that Whine wants out. Understandably so, in some respects, imo. I mean, how can a manager possibly work with a played he has successfully sued for libel?! It beggars belief. The term "irreconcilable differences" was invented for precisely this sort of situation.

grecian

Brent Rodgers talking complete nonsense as normal:

The people of Liverpool have treated Luis Suarez like a son...... whatever happens, that will be in his mind

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Would definitely prefer Suarez myself, but he's definitely the high risk/high reward option. In terms of skill he's streets ahead of Rooney, but he's also totally unpredictable and prone to bouts of outrageous direness. One more indiscretion of note on his part, and he'll be staring down the barrell of an even more substantial ban, one suspects.

Arsenal's interest in Rooney does seem to have cooled though, and so I fully expect him to be a Chelsea player by the time the transfer window closes. Moyes can harp on all he likes about how he wants to keep Rooney, but it's clear that Whine wants out. Understandably so, in some respects, imo. I mean, how can a manager possibly work with a played he has successfully sued for libel?! It beggars belief. The term "irreconcilable differences" was invented for precisely this sort of situation.
They had long since put it behind them, though. It's been reported that Ferguson decided around February that the time was right to sell but Moyes disagrees, so his arrival actually probably makes it less likely that Rooney will go. It's a bit of a strange one. I'd definitely like to see him sold but would prefer if it wasn't to Chelsea. If you have ethical reasons for not wanting a racist to be your star player then I can see why you'd pick Rooney but on the pitch he's just not in the same league as Suarez.

Why did the Higuain deal not happen if Arsenal are willing to spend so much money?
Word on the street is that Higuain had no interest in joining Arsenal, and the rumours were intended to force Real Madrid or other clubs to show their hand.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah, I gather it was because Wenger didn't rate Higuain enough to shell out the extra cash for him, not to mention the fact that reportedly Madrid kept moving the goal posts in terms of the price.

It might not be a particularly bad development in a sense. He'd definitely have been a good upgrade on what Arsenal have already, but I think £30m would have been too much to spend on a player of his ability.

The worst thing about missing him though, is that he is one of the few targets Arsenal have a realistic chance of getting who is an established player at the top level, who could go straight into the team and improve it. After all the posturing and speaking about having financial muscle, Arsenal really need to make a big signing, otherwise they'll look like a joke. They've nailed their colours to the mast with all of the brash statements they've been making. The pressure to sign Suarez is massive now, but something tells me they aren't going to get him. We will see.

Pothas

Yeah, I mean is Suarez the only target? He is probably the best player they have a realistic chance of getting but Liverpool look like they will hold out for as much money as possible. Will they go above 40 million for a player who is already suspended for 6 games and is probably quite likely to miss many more? Got to think there are other targets out there, it can't be Suarez or nothing.