• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2013-14

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not the strongest group but mighty impressive how Atletico have totally strolled their group given they have not played in this competition for a good few years.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Anticipation for the Utd game at the weekend is sky high now.
If Arsenal put in a performance like that they'll scud Man Utd.

I'm not going to be greedy. A comfortable 2-0 win and a season-ending injury for RvP will do me nicely :ph34r:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Was hoping Marseille could hold Napoli there. Would still like Dortmund to go through in second.
I'm glad they didn't, I don't think there's enough showers in the world to wash off the feeling of wanting Marseille to win.

2 wins for Dortmund and a win + draw for Arsenal sees the good guys get through the group.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Not really, can just be seen as a really strong three team group.
Re: three team groups, IMO the best way to judge how a group is is to look at how strong the 3rd team is, seeing as the essential base aim is to come in the top 2.

My argument has never been about comparing Shakhtar and Dortmund anyway, seeing as Shakhtar are the weakest team in their group and Dortmund are the strongest in theirs, hence me not seeing where that comment came from.

The depth of Ligue 1 is completely irrelevant to how good or bad a side Marseille are by the way.
Suggesting that when assessing a side their league form should be ignored is obviously ludicrous, so I assume you're not suggesting that. But what you've just said only makes sense if you are suggesting it. His comment about how Marseille are doing/will do in Ligue 1 is perfectly fair.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
I thought the Dortmund v Arsenal game was really weird. I didn't think Arsenal were very impressive for 60 minutes, but then they were really impressive after going ahead.

That being said they deserved the win. Dortmund missed a couple of clear chances (including one only just after going behind tbf) but spurned them and can only blame themselves.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I thought defensively Arsenal were very impressive for the first half, Dortmund created virtually **** all.

Arsenal's goal was a classic sucker punch, came right at the time when a Dortmund goal looked inevitable. And the performance once the goal was scored was tremendous.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I thought the Dortmund v Arsenal game was really weird. I didn't think Arsenal were very impressive for 60 minutes, but then they were really impressive after going ahead.

That being said they deserved the win. Dortmund missed a couple of clear chances (including one only just after going behind tbf) but spurned them and can only blame themselves.
Yeah any win over Dortmund will involve them missing chances, because they're so brutally effective at creating them but not the best at finishing, especially when they don't fall to Lewandowski. Apart from the spell just after half time, Arsenal managed to close down the game really well. Managed to keep possession without opening up at the back or getting caught out by the pressing, it was really impressive.

Uppercut

I've started publishing short rants about football here, if anyone is interested in following me/the site on twitter or whatever.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Will be interesting on Sunday, how both United and Arsenal will approach the game. Particularly United.

There is a tried and tested template which Sir Alex even talks about in his book of not pressing Arsenal too much high, staying compact and then intercepting the ball and countering quick.

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Really hope Arsenal go for the win. They'll be top at the end of the weekend no matter what, and this is a real chance to strike a decisive blow. Ought to be a good game.

Uppercut

Yeah they definitely should too, United are really vulnerable to good pressing but tend to have too much quality in the box for teams that sit back. If they try to settle for a draw there's a good chance they'll lose.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I think I may have to stop posting about this match, my record with this thread and predictions/general optimism is shocking. Am genuinely scared I will jinx it.