• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2013-14

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I think both sides of this coin are sort of true. As has been pointed out, were Palace 10th in the Championship at the moment then the odds are he'd still be in the job, so in that sense he has been a victim of his own success.

On the other hand, I completely agree with the general sentiment that he is a clown and deserved to go anyway.
Palace would have finished 16th in the Championship if they'd replicated their form under Holloway last season for the whole season. They were promoted in spite of Holloway, not because of him.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Actually I think that's a fair enough policy to be honest, prevents the fly by nights.
Any policy which puts people off spending money and going to games is stupid.

What if you can only afford 1 game?

edit: imagine if Waitrose or Marks and Spencer said that you could only do your Christmas food shopping there if you'd done at least one weekly food shop there?

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Any policy which puts people off spending money and going to games is stupid.

What if you can only afford 1 game?

edit: imagine if Waitrose or Marks and Spencer said that you could only do your Christmas food shopping there if you'd done at least one weekly food shop there?
Doesn't work like that though. When we've ran similar schemes, it doesn't mean you can't have a ticket if you've not been to any other games but rather those who have been to the qualifying games get priority, in turn bumping up the games prior to the big one.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah exactly, small clubs always do this sort of thing for big games.

Bees did it for the Chelsea game, and put up the price (but gave regulars a discount), it was always going to be a sell out and I had no problem with it at all. At the same time they are always looking to encourage new fans, tomorow is a pay what you want day and should get close to a sell out.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I always hated the entitlement of fans that go to non-glamour games though. I just remember being a kid who would have killed to go to see United's reserves play Bournemouth in the league cup, there are millions of fans on the other side of the world who feel the same way. If you don't fancy it then no one's forcing you to go but you can't choose to go and then act as if you're somehow owed something for it.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I always hated the entitlement of fans that go to non-glamour games though. I just remember being a kid who would have killed to go to see United's reserves play Bournemouth in the league cup, there are millions of fans on the other side of the world who feel the same way. If you don't fancy it then no one's forcing you to go but you can't choose to go and then act as if you're somehow owed something for it.
Bit different for a club like United though. It grates when you find you can't get anywhere near the seat you're in all season round because all of a sudden a prem club are in town when the place is empty more often than not.

Same as when you can't get served in your local at Christmas

I mean, it should never be 'you can only come to x if you've been to y' but there's nothing wrong with rewarding those who've been to everything.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, it just seems obvious to give priority to regulars and that is not because I have anything against people that only come to big games, I love when Griffin Park is full and don't really mind if that is only happens when a big team comes or people can pay £1 like it is tomorow.

Having said that I was totally perplexed that some people seemed genuinely happy before our play-off final, as if they didn't know what was going to happen.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Fmd that's a cracking save from that Jedinak volley at about the 70' mark. Great strike and an amazing tip over

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Interesting to see what Wenger said about Fergie coming back; 3-2 lead notwithstanding I'm sure he must be itching to retake the reins after how things have gone for ManUre thus far.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Nah, Ferguson knew that a rebuild was necessary and couldn't be arsed seeing it through.

Besides, you don't write an autobiography slagging off Rooney if you're thinking of coming back.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Well I guess that's another few days avoiding Exeweb. We had the better chances, should have taken them and been top, didn't and aren't. So we get the usual cries of "rubbish".

Seriously, these people deserve every stoppage time winner their club concedes because judging everything on one disappointing moment is ridiculous. Don't get carried away after the ludicrous highs, don't get suicidal after the corresponding lows. Out of the last three game, today we had more of the play and created the better chances. Yet we lost. Such is randomised life.

Fortunately Tis understands. On to Portsmouth...