• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2013-14

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
They probably just don't really want Mata. They play with wingers and strikers that can score from crosses and if they do want a little technical player between the lines they already have Kagawa.

If true it's clearly a mistake, really don't think it's true though. Part-exchange rumours are almost exclusively bull.
This, so much this, every year we get them, yet contracts are so complicated and transactions between, teams, management structures, owners, it hardly ever happens. Makes for interesting headlines though.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If true then United are mad to turn it down. Think Chelsea are mad to want to get rid of one of the best players in the league too.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah probably not.

Mata leaving Chelsea would certainly not come as a surpise though.
No, but you'd expect it for big money, and I'm not sure Jose would let him sign for a rival.

Personally I think it's all mind games, Chelsea has made a silly bid, just to disrupt Whine, so ManU have countered by possibly pissing off Mata and Sideshow.

Of course the Press probably know this, but it fills 'papers.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Pretty genius move by United to troll Chelsea in all honesty.

Rumours that Cazorla's off to Atletico Madrid. Which is annoying.

And Papiss Cisse refusing to play for Newcastle because of their shirt sponsors.

King Pietersen

International Captain
And Papiss Cisse refusing to play for Newcastle because of their shirt sponsors.
Reports suggesting that he's been fined £5,000 by the club; if he fails to pay by Monday it rises to £297,650. :ph34r:

Rumours that Everton are setting up a bid for Guilherme Siqueira, left wing back from Granada, to replace Leighton Baines who's apparently going to United. Not too happy about Baines leaving, but he's 29 this year, and Siqueira is a pretty good replacement. Depends how much we get for Bainesy really, anything less than £15m and I'll be massively disappointed. Would like £20m for him really.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I think Everton would be quite lucky to get £20m for a fullback of any age, let alone one that's nearly 30. Mind you, he is English, I suppose.

King Pietersen

International Captain
I'd be surprised if we got that for him too, reckon Moyes'll end up getting a decent deal for him if he does end up going to United. Reckon he'll end up leaving for between 10 and 15m. I'm just glad we're looking at signing Siqueira to replace him, and didn't follow the pattern of the summer and sign Maynor Figueroa.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I think I would have probably preferred Figueroa tbh. He's vastly more experienced than Siqueira, and importantly, experienced in the Premiership, and was always fairly solid for Wigan. As Arsenal and various other English sides will attest to, Brazilian fullbacks and the Premiership often do not seem to get on.

Uppercut

I'm not really sure he's what we need but I do think he's worth £20m. He's irreplaceable.

Uppercut

Yeah that's why I don't really expect him to leave. Moyes might be really keen on him though.

King Pietersen

International Captain
Seems a bit of a pointless signing for United really. Why replace Evra, who's 32, with a 30 year old? If you want to sign an English left-back, get Luke Shaw snapped up before he has a good second season in the Premier League and his price doubles!

Edit: Okay, unlikely, he signed a 5 year deal a week ago. Price has already rocketed.

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Tbf, Baines won't be 30 for another year and a half, he's actually 28. The difference between a 28 and a 32 year old in a position that typically involves a lot of running up and down the pitch could be quite drastic.

Uppercut

Yeah we'd get a few more years out of him and we really can't expect Evra to keep playing almost every game. But it's mostly just a fairly big upgrade. One stat I heard a while back was that Baines created 116 chances last season to Evra's 24. Evra's a good, creative left-back but he can't really compete with Baines.