• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* NRL 2013 Season thread

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Can talk about the Abortion Football League be confined to the Abortion Football League thread please?

Thanks.

dermo

International Vice-Captain
Wenty Waratahs Junior Cricketer of the Year 1970-71. Was a decent 'keeper actually - played Green Shield for Parramatta with Mo Matthews among others.

His old man was Deputy Commissioner of Police and a more than decent A grade player himself. He gave the toast at my late grandfather's testimonial, and a fine speech it was too.

He was responsible for one of the few times an umpire has overturned their own decision without technological assistance when he was struck on the pads by a left arm quick and given lbw by legendary umpire Brian Cooper, who everyone thought had a hearing aid in, but who got caught out one day when the ear piece fell out and everyone could hear he was actually listening to the races. Gus' old man stood there and refused to go. The umpire said "Bruce, mate what are you doing? I gave you out" "No way Brian, there is no way in hell that was out, it hit me high and pitched 8 inches outside leg stump". "Bruce, you're out". "No". Just stood there - decision overturned.

Gus also did a cracking speech at the club's 50th and did the charity auction, all at no charge. He polarises opinions because his own are so emphatic, but he's a terrific fella who gives a lot of his own time.

Champion family tbh.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
:laugh:

Also about Essendon. What did they do to wound your soul? I just want to know so I can enjoy the reason as well as your pain.
Too scared to post in here why because DCYE may yell at me again, so go to my post in the Abortion Football League thread for my answer.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Canberra better pick Ferguson for this weekends game against Melbourne. He was awesome last time the two teams met and the Raiders need the win to make the finals. I tipped Canberra, but it was on the proviso that Ferguson plays.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm looking forward to a square up between Matai and Allgood on Saturday tbh. Only reason to watch the Eels atm.
TBF it's good watching the Eels at the moment because you can really see who's having a go and who isn't. The problem is, of the 5 or 6 blokes having a go, 4 or 5 aren't NRL players at all. Been an awful year. Worst I can recall as an Eels supporter.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
TBF it's good watching the Eels at the moment because you can really see who's having a go and who isn't. The problem is, of the 5 or 6 blokes having a go, 4 or 5 aren't NRL players at all. Been an awful year. Worst I can recall as an Eels supporter.
Burgey, have you heard the promotion that the Eels are doing for the next 80 minutes where you can get $10 Adult tickets, $5 kids to watch Manly this weekend? Good offer IMO.

Burgey

Nah I hadn't heard that. I'll look into it. Usually a good night out at Parra Stadium even if the home side are ****. It's a good ground for watching footy.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Nah I hadn't heard that. I'll look into it. Usually a good night out at Parra Stadium even if the home side are ****. It's a good ground for watching footy.
I've only been to Parra Stadium once. Was seedy from the night before and had just attempted the Killa Burger challenge, so I probably need to go again sometime to experience it properly again. I study with UNE, so occasionally get free ticket offers, but haven't taken them up on it yet.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
BTW, just to explain my Broncos pick in the LMS, I think the Knights will struggle without Snowden and Mason. The inclusion of Cuthbertson from the bench can help the Knights, but if he is kept relatively quiet and the Broncos backrow trio of Thaiday, Gillett and Parker have big games, I think we can win in a vital much for us. Also, Broncos like almost always have a full 7 day turnaround, while the Knights only get the 5 days and played in a pretty tough match against the Roosters. I'll admit I'm speaking with my heart a bit, but I think $2.65 outsiders vs $1.50 Knights represents good value.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Really don't understand why they appointed Stuart

Guy is hardly the greatest coach and a prize arsehole to boot

If, as is rumored, there is internal trouble at the Eels, he would be more likely to add fuel to the fire than bring people together

Burgey

If, as is rumored, there is internal trouble at the Eels, he would be more likely to add fuel to the fire than bring people together

Yeah he's certainly someone who polarises opinion. I wouldn't be surprised if the whole Hayne not playing this year thing is linked to some problem between them.

Burgey

My Dream Team next year will consist only of a squad of ex-Parra players. I'll get 25 easily, and they'll all go brilliantly. Justin Horo is this year's "WTF were they thinking?" contender.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year

I can see why they went with him. They were hardly overflowing with good candidates for a rebuild of that magnitude.

Parra's just a bit of a cluster**** generally. They really lack an experienced, quality player in the 27-31 age bracket. Hayne's a great player but no captain. I mean Reni Maitua and Ben Smith are part of the "leadership" group ffs.

dermo

International Vice-Captain
I can see why they went with him. They were hardly overflowing with good candidates for a rebuild of that magnitude.

Parra's just a bit of a cluster**** generally. They really lack an experienced, quality player in the 27-31 age bracket. Hayne's a great player but no captain. I mean Reni Maitua and Ben Smith are part of the "leadership" group ffs.
they're just ****, there's really not much to it, they just have a team of average players. tbf though a lot of the players they've bought recently were good but flopped when they got to parra, Sandow and Tonga being the obvious ones, and they got these shunts on big money which gives them no space to buy any new decent players.