• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* NRL 2013 Season thread

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Call me an arsehole, but I'm not going to start caring what an AFL fan thinks about a State of Origin moment just because she got punched in the head.
her son was the one who was bashed.

I personally think the AFL fan bit is irrelevant and was a bit silly to put in the article. I am sure she thought (or would think) the same when Barry Hall floored Brent Staker with a punch and knocked him out.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
i guess i just don't understand why gallen (and you know, every player in every sport) couldn't've sent his message by punching him in the gut or something as opposed to the head. i'm probably just not man enough though

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
i figured it was softer on my hands to just punch the gut

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
id probably drop him tbh
Well that's not going to happen. If you wanted to drop an experienced Origin campaigner after a loss, surely Tate or Harrison would be on the ol' chopping block ahead of Slater. But QLD aren't the type of state to do that - NSW under Daley look like they are going to keep faith too.

uvelocity

International Coach
not because of the loss. but your team is clearly weaker with the current best player in the world out in the centres texting his mates and combing his hair. i mean where was he. you dont need a 3rd quater dummy half runner replacement nor do we, both hookers are 80 min players so there's no point him coming off the bench. reckon tate and boyd are better options than slater on the wings. the only other would be tate into centre but whatev. reckon gillett needs more game time too. he'd have had a lewis like game if he'd started, pretty much your best i thought.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I agree that Gillett should play more minutes. I actually thought he was overrated last year as he had mistakes in his game but he's really improved.

I personally think that Slater would do a better job on the wing ahead of the current two wingers, but I'm happy enough with Inglis in the centre as long as he looks for the ball and at times Gillett, Teo or McQueen plays a centre role and Inglis chimes in as a second fullback.

uvelocity

International Coach
i thought that second fullback idea was unworkable the first time i heard it, and it proved true. centres are there for a reason, you can't leave yourself short in attack or in defence. fact is you want inglis touching the ball as much as possible, and fullback is the place for that. but i'm hopeful your coaches have the same view as yourself. really hopeful.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
That's why I said that a Gillett type player comes into centre and say the ball is shifting to the right, Inglis comes over to get his hands onto the ball. I don't literally want two fullbacks - Its just that there are times when a roving outside back (Inglis) could get involved more in attack.

uvelocity

International Coach
well thats what id do. gillett to start, mcqueen or someone to centre. drop slater. we had you pinned on your own line so often, even despite turning over the ball more and giving away more penalties reckon we won possession and territory hands down. inglis returning the ball turns that around by itself

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
You won possession and territory hands down through quick play the balls, slick work out of dummy half, strong runs from your back rowers and a better kicking game, for the first time in a long time. I think I read somewhere that QLD didn't have to do a single goal line drop out last year..

I also think Daley used his bench well, so much better compared to Stuart did. I think most QLDers realized that NSW had selected a proper team when Kidley pulled out, Creagh wasn't selected etc.

the big bambino

International Captain
As a blue bagger I'd want Inglis in the centres. Which means he has to play fullback. Don't think Mal will do it though. He's in an interesting bind. Stay loyal as is a Qld tradition or bow to the reality of needing to win the next game and make the necessary changes. Money just on the former. For mine I think the entire Qld back 3 need swapping. I think Slater should go and thanks for the memories. I like Tate. Been a great origin contributor but time will get him when the injuries he suffered couldn't. Perhaps too early to call quits on Boyd. So I'm looking for a new centre and winger. I'd keep the forwards but Parker deserves a run on after that performance. Shillington looking wobbly so wouldn't mind a replacement for him. Liked what I saw from McQueen and Teo but believe you guys need the coal train off the bench. Btw not impressed with Thaiday.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Inglis surely has to play full back in game II, I didn't even realise he was playing until about an hour in.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Slater is becoming massively underrated here. I know GI has been the best player this year at fullback but he is an exceptional centre too and has produced so many massive performances there.

Slater is terrific when he is behind a forward pack which makes metres and halves who play well, neither happened in game one - Still he ran for over 200 metres and produced a linebreak.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
WTF, Qld picked (and are considering repicking) McQueen? No idea what that's about. Isn't there an Origin level player available?

Yeah Im late, sue me. Europe not particularly interested in SOO.