• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* NRL 2013 Season thread

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Man you just constantly run into a ****ing wall in this sport. Br000000000tal. Looks so painful.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Man you just constantly run into a ****ing wall in this sport. Br000000000tal. Looks so painful.
Please don't say this is the first time you've watched league? I'll cry if so.

Know you Vics are a parochial bunch, but geez...

Anyway, looks like your mate was on his game. Fecking Sheagles.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
First time I have sat down and watched a whole half of league in a few years - yes.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Manly are a safe bet IMO, but they do have a slightly thin forward pack.
What happened in the second half? Watched the first half in full, and then tuned into some other stuff but was following the scores. Seem like St George were coming hard.

the big bambino

International Captain
I've never been able to sit through a whole quarter of an AFL match..
I remember a mate and I tried to watch a rules GF once and by the end of the 1st qtr we were playing that game where you try to slide a coin across a table trying to get it to hang over the edge. I won. Can't remember who were playing the GF though.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
NRL peeps, I have just put money on Manly based on a mate's tip. Am I going to have money at the end of tonight or am I going to have to kick my mate in the balls tomorrow?
What were they paying out of curiosity?

Think St George are a little bit underrated this year but Manly are one of the top teams in the comp, so barring injuries you'd expect them to win against any team outside the top 5.

dermo

International Vice-Captain
What happened in the second half? Watched the first half in full, and then tuned into some other stuff but was following the scores. Seem like St George were cuming hard.
Jamie Soward has been known to get excited when confronted by other males

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
What were they paying out of curiosity?

Think St George are a little bit underrated this year but Manly are one of the top teams in the comp, so barring injuries you'd expect them to win against any team outside the top 5.
$1.58 on Betfair minus 5% Betfair commission.

Some friends were telling me Manly are the team everyone hates in the NRL? Like the Collingwood of the NRL?

Why? I love heading to Manly. Although Sea Eagles is a lame nick name.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I taped the game on IQ and forgot to add the 20 minutes. Its 24-18 with Dragons on the attack and that's end of the program, lol

It was a bit of a strange game really, Manly just have more class, Dragons tried hard though.

dermo

International Vice-Captain
$1.58 on Betfair minus 5% Betfair commission.

Some friends were telling me Manly are the team everyone hates in the NRL? Like the Collingwood of the NRL?

Why? I love heading to Manly. Although Sea Eagles is a lame nick name.
Correct about Manly, ****s the lot of them.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
They're hated more than a team who deliberately cheated the cap?

Interesting to say the least.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Manly are hated historically for different reasons than Collingwood (as I understand it). Manly aren't a big club from a geographic or supporter base perspective, but they have loads of wealthy/influential private backers. In the 70s/80s this manifested itself in Manly spending loads of money to poach the best players from poorer clubs (like Wests) and win premierships with them. The "Fibros vs Silvertails" is a classic set of matches in 1978 between Wests and Manly which were positioned as underdog battlers from the west against the wealthy elite from the north/east. They were violent and extremely controversial matches and really entrenched rivalry between Manly and the underdog clubs of the west, particularly Wests.

It's also always been suggested that Manly have too much influence in the running of the game. The reaming of Norths (Manly's hated rival) regularly gets brought up as an example of Manly aligned factions within the administration pouncing on an opportunity to finally settle a decades old hatred. How much influence Manly has actually had within RL administration is debatable (and the Norths thing is definitely highly contentious). It's worth mentioning that Manly were one of the key clubs that maintained support for the ARL during the Super League war. Without them and a few others it's entirely possible Murdoch could have completely controlled the game after 96.

They're also pretty regularly successful on the pitch. Throw in a few unsavory characters wearing their strip (though no more than any other club if we're being honest) and the cycle of hatred continues.

Manly fans for their part have embraced the hatred. They know everyone hates them and they love it. Not sure if Collingwood fans have the same outlook.

Personally I'd agree the Storm are worthy of hatred similar to Manly. Cap cheating aside they've pioneered some of the most grubby tactics to creep into the game in recent years (Chicken wing, grapple, wrestling in general slowing the ruck), they have the biggest grubs in the game in their ranks (Slater, Smith) and they're full of filthy QLDers. Scum club.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Billy Slater in the biggest grub in the game? Or are you talking about another Slater?

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Billy Slater in the biggest grub in the game? Or are you talking about another Slater?
Nope, the one and only. Loads of grubby tactics in his game. Started the trend of leading with the feet on a tryscorer and his fly kick on the Bulldogs rookie has been a LONG time coming based on the way he catches bombs. He puts knees into people, has engaged in more than his share of dirty tackles (as have many Storm players) made inappropriate sledges. Could probably go on.

Great player though. One of the best we'll ever see.